1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

The Magnificent Ambersons or Fanny and Alexander DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steven harrison, Sep 11, 2002.

1. steven harrison

steven harrison Auditioning

welles and bergman, two big names and two of their most respected movies Are Not available on DVD.

what gives? anybody know something I don't? (probably)

if they're not coming out anytime soon, let's have them, eh?

(don't mention the Magnificent Ambersons made for tv version... argh!)

2. Rain

Rain Producer

From the HTF chat with MGM on March 6, 2001:

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Ambersons probably needs restoration since it's RKO. Geez...Howard Hughes spent millions on The Conqueror, yet didn't do much to keep the other RKO movies in shape...

4. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Both are available in R2, I know nothing about the quality of the French Ambersons DVD.

I have the UK Fanny and Alexander DVD and it's the 5 hour TV cut, which even if MGM releases in R1, they'll likely release the US theatrical cut they had the distribution rights to. It's pretty good image wise, there's some speckling, but no major print damage, colors are a bit faded, and the picture's a tad on the soft side, but very watchable.

However the real gems are the UK Tartan releases restored by Svensk Filmindustri. I have Through A Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence and all 3 are immaculate.

5. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter