What's new

The Magnificent Ambersons DVD??? (1 Viewer)

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I may be sounding impatient what with a lot of classic films getting good treatment from Warner's recently {can't wait for To Have And Have Not!} but I really am getting tired of waiting for The Magnificent Ambersons!
Does anybody know anything on this films DVD? I would have thought it would have come out when Warner released Citizen Kane or soon after but that was ages ago. I remember reading a while back that Criterion wanted to do it but were refused the rights, is this true? Also, what was the Criterion laserdisc like? How did they get around the missing scenes {if they did anything}? Hopefully it's been getting a massive restoration over all this time but I doubt it because at least something would have been heard.
Any info would be appreciated!!!

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
The most recent word on The Magnificent Ambersons comes from the Warner HTF chat in April:

I'm very anxious for a release of this one, too.

A comparison of the Criterion laserdisc versus the Region 3 DVD release can be found at The Laser Examiner.

Notes on the various releases throughout the world (including the Criterion laserdisc) can be found at wellesnet.com.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot for the links!
The Criterion Laser sounds amazing :frowning:, really wish they were doing it! But Warners Citizen Kane was special so there's still hope.

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I have the French DVD - comes in a beautiful box, special edition with some nice extras BUT the transfer is a bit of a muddle - someday we'll get this gorgeous-looking film in a gorgeous-looking transfer.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
AMBERSONS is a film I've always put off watching because of its butchered state. Is the film still really good, even though it's not what Welles intended?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to see this film on DVD from Warner...has anyone heard any news about its possible release.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
I don't know how interested I would be in buying the current cut of the film. As a theatrical cut, Ambersons was choppy and indistinct, and the final act was an incomprehensible mess.

That's not to say I didn't love what I understood.

There was a rumor floating around a couple of years ago that the trims had been found and the reconstruction was either possible or underway, but that legal issues would probably continue to keep it unseen. Am I misinformed?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There was a rumor floating around a couple of years ago that the trims had been found and the reconstruction was either possible or underway, but that legal issues would probably continue to keep it unseen. Am I misinformed?
No, you're correct. They also found the missing 4 hours from Greed, London After Midnight, and Hats Off in the same vault.

(I'm pretty sure that it would be well publicized if the deleted scenes were found... in other words, it was probably an april fool's day prank)

ted:r

Second Unit
I believe the late Robert Wise, editor of Ambersons, has stated many times that the cut footage from Ambersons was destroyed and he was in position to know.

Still, they should release what they have right now. Then we can all cry out for "The Magnificent Ambersons: Special Edition".

I, for one, would double dip!

John Skoda

Second Unit
I don't know how interested I would be in buying the current cut of the film. As a theatrical cut, Ambersons was choppy and indistinct, and the final act was an incomprehensible mess.
I thought the commentary on the Criterion laserdisc was successful at explaining WHY what you're watching is still quite amazing. I don't think I'd want to have the movie on DVD without that commentary.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
AMBERSONS is a film I've always put off watching because of its butchered state. Is the film still really good, even though it's not what Welles intended?
It's still watchable. There are still flashes of genius (some of the individual scenes are on a par with, or even surpass Kane), but the plot development and dramatic pacing is clunky. Part of the intellectual pleasure in watching it is a bit like wondering what the Venus de Milo looked like when her arms were attached - you speculate on how good it was before the film was butchered (and also on why anyone could be so crass as to order the transformation - but equally an era that could make Judy Garland a star would be unlikely to have much idea of subtlety, I suppose).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks