The luge is SO cool!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Feb 12, 2002.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I love the luge, it looks neat although I bet it would be extremely difficult to do well. I wouldn't mind going to Canada Olympic Park here in Calgary and giving it a try. Does anyone know how much they charge?

What's your favorite Olympic Sport?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    As much as your insurance premium!!! Just kidding Paul:
    http://www.canoe.ca/TravelCanada/olympic.html
    Is an article about the bobsled and luge runs at Calgary.. I've been there, it's a cool place.... I've also hiked to the luge/bobsled runs in Lake Placid, NY and they are cool too, but I was there when the place was closed for the season so it was empty. But I walked all way down from the top and got to check out all the insulation and stuff they put on the outside of the tubes and all that.. It's cool. I also explored the ice rink where the 1980's US hockey team won and actually watched an amateur hockey league play for a little bit. They have a ton of black and white photos in the hallways of past olympic stars, not just in hockey but in all things ice..
    Jay

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Have you seen the new face-first luge called the "skeleton"? Maybe that's what you look like when you're done.

4. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Luge is also my favorite Olympic sport. Too bad I can only see it once every four years. Considering that it is the fastest Olympic sport (speeds over 85 mph) and the only winter Olympic sport timed to thousandths of a second, makes it easy to see the massive amounts of skill required to do well.

I was *really* hoping Georg Hackl would pull off the gold last night, but silver is still mighty impressive. It seems like the same 3 guys (Hackl, Prock and Zoeggeler) have been ruling this sport ever since I can remember.

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Very cool Jay, thanks! (wasn't really asking for people to do the search work for me but thanks! I'll check it out). That sounds very cool I wonder if I can talk 3 of my friends into going bobsleding with me. I saw an article that they were working on an all indoor sled track, supposedly so they could practise all year.

That sounds like a great place to be Jay, in the halls of the olympians, kind of. I would feel a deep lug in my heart if I were there. Where exactly is Lake Placid, NY? It's really amazing the legacy of the olympics, isn't it?

Brian - yep I think that would be a little....dangerous? perhaps the big debate there is what's more aerodynamic? The feet or the head? yikes! I don't want to find out!!

6. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I was watching last night when they showed the luge runs. Noticed an American (Adam Heidt) about to make a run so I watched him do it. Very cool... those things fly.

So this guy gets exited cause he's temporarily in 1st, then the TV says he's from Huntington NY. I'm like, huh? (I live in Northport, Township of Huntington) We don't even get snow here anymore, where does this guy go luge racing?

Anyway, he gets bumped to 4th by the three big guys, and then on local radio this morning I hear he is actually from Northport, and his family runs a local plumbing supply business. HA!, so my local plumbing guy is the worlds 4th fastest luge racer.

I'd still like to know where he practices! If any of you guys have any specific questions let me know. Next time I go in for a roll of teflon tape, I'll see if I can meet the guy.

7. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Somehow the words "plumber" and "Olympic athlete" don't jive in my brain [​IMG]

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

John, I'm sure he practices up in Lake Placid. As far as I know, the only runs in the U.S. are at Lake Placid and Utah. Sometimes these guys create mockups (sleds on wheels) to practice their starts, but if they want to use the runs, there aren't many options. Though I haven't been there, I doubt the Lake Placid runs are open to the public like the one in Alberta. Until the new run opened in Utah, it was the primary training center to U.S. lugers/bobsledders as well as other international athletes.

And about that CANOE article...what do they mean you can go down the run with no driver or no brakes? In bobsledding, you have both a driver and a brakeman. If there was no driver to manipulate the runners, the sled would slide right ino the top of the wall or hit the side of the chutes. I assume they have experienced people steering the sleds.

9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Paul, et al, Sorry for the late reply, I just recently stumbled upon this thread after I replied to your original question. Lake Placid is in the Adirondack (High peaks area) region of NY state, it's upstate not too far from Quebec. It was weird walking in the hallways looking at all the old newspaper clippings while a group of young kids were still playing hockey in some amateur league at the time. Kind of felt strange!

Anyway, the bobsled run at Lake Placid is open to the public for a fee. There is a park enterance and a X-C ski center right next door. However, if you hike there from Heart Lake, you can get in free, which is what I did, go over Mt. Van Hoevenberg and on the other side, there's the bobsled run and luge. I don't know how they run it, when I was there it was in September and there was hardly anybody around at all, but I did see signs at the visitor's center with prices and stuff... What's even cooler is you can see the two ski jumps that are in the middle of nowhere. You can see the jumps from many of the north and west facing summits like Algonquin and Wright's Peak. The ski jumps in Lake placid aren't built into the side of a mountain, like in Utah, they're these huge towers and supports that rise up from the ground and have jumps attached to them... Really incredible.

Jay