The lowdown on Rally races

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Can anybody tell me a good website where I can try to understand the lingo on Rally races? I saw the three part Tour de Corsa from France on Speedvision (aka The Speed Channel) and I'm trying to interpret the commands from the co-drivers for Colin McRae and others. I notice a bunch of them do not speak English, but for the ones that do, it would be cool to find out what they mean by their commands.

I've been busily playing RallySportChallenge on the X-box so I understand some of the lingo like Don't Cut and the various turns but there's a lot more being said than in the game.

Damm, that is some great coverage on Rally Racing, those guys are crazy but talented... Sheesh.

Jay

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I love to watch rally, I didn't know it was on Speedvision. I'm surprised it's not a bigger sport in the US, it's a lot of fun to watch!

Sorry I can't help you with the lingo though.

/Mike

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I don't know of a website that explains the lingo (though there probably is one) and AFAIK the notes read back differ from driver to driver.

The best way to learn is to wtch the in car and listen to teh co-criver and then try and match up what he says witth he corners.

But basicaly the notes tell the driver about up comming corners, the direction fo the turn how tight it is, how fast to take it and the camber of the road. "Plus" tells the driver that the camber is sloping toward the apex, "minus" is away fromt he apex... the speed is often denoted by the gear the driver should be in.

"45 left opens 3 plus" then would be a left hand corner initaly about 45 degress, but gets less tight as it progresses, take in 3rd gear, and the camber is sloping toward the apex, giving a slight banking effect allowing the car to go through faster than otherwise.

The WRC coverage on Speed whatever is great, I saw the first leg on Forday but then of course my digi-cable goes out and I missed the other 2.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Aha, thanks guys, it's the numbers that I was interesting in, I do understands the "intos" and "opens" but I was wondering about the numbers I hear, from 45 to 120, etc.

I was wondering if they were distances or angles, I guess they must be angles from your explenation.

Yeah, the coverage is awesome, that's how racing should be covered.. from the drivers seats with maybe even a PIP of the outside shot, I love to watch the drivers shift and steer and stuff, it's so precise, yet so out of control at the same time.

Jay

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I hear you about the "precise, yet out of control thing". They always seem to drive the car so it's constantly on the verge of spinning out of control, this is especially fun to watch when they drive on snow. I gotta keep my eye on Speedvision for the next competitionb, which I think is in two weeks or so.

/Mike

6. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I am sure it is different for every team but using the lingo from Colin McRae Racing 2.0, so of the lingo is as follows.

60 left 3

60 meters ahead is a left hand turn that should be taken in 3rd gear.

100 right 2 left 3

100 meters ahead is an S turn that should be taken in 2nd gear to the right and accelerated to 3 gear for the left.

The turns can be hairpin, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. The cars have 6 gears. I am just learning all of this myself and have been watching some of the speed channel coverage as well. This is one reason why the cockpit views show the gear the car is in so large.

Then there are other warnings such as crest, jump or jump maybe, long (the turn is a long one), hazard (rocks etc) inside or outside, and more.

7. David-S

David-S Second Unit

Also, they apparently tend to read the directions several turns/moves ahead of time...

You'll notice they'll call a right turn, then two turns later, go right...

I enjoyed my spring break, cuz I got to see the finnish rally! (No "speed" here at school)

8. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I've seen some of these recent rallies on Speedvision. Lots of fun with danger lurking everywhere. Those trees on the side of roads look very intimidating and pedestrians seem to have no fear. Skilled drivers and neat little cars though.

All the manufacturers seem to be going back to these little sportscars. I stopped at a local Toyota dealer and was checking out the Matrix which was nice. I even saw a magazine featuring a new Alpha Romero. If you were to look into this class of car what would you look at? What is considered to be tops in the class right now?

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I've been fascinated with this motorsport since before I could drive. I remember wanting to be Walter Rohrl in that Audi sliding through snowy turns. I'm not sure why the sport isn't more popular here in the USA.
    John, I've heard good things about Subaru's WRX. It even made Car & Driver's 10 Best list. Click here for a short video clip. You may want to take that one for a "spin". [​IMG]
    I'll include my signature with the pic of the game Jay mentioned. It's my current addiction.
    -Dan B

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I haven't finished the last leg of the Tour de Corsa since it was on Sunday night at 11pm and I need to sleep before I go into work on Monday so I PVR'ed it on my E* 501. But the Peugeuts 206's were kicking some ass, having dominated almost all the stages except for one where it was raining and Solsberg in a Suburu WRX I think won that stage, due to the tire choice....

I'll try to watch it tonight...

Jay

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    yeah, like what does TIGHT, and Open mean? those kinda screwed me up in Test DRive Vrally and Sega Rally 2

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

I'm not sure what the current number of WRXs sold in the US is. Subaru's initial goal was to sell 10,000 between March 2001 and the end of the model year (September 2002?) They sold that many in the first 6 months. Last I heard they had sold more than 18,000. Round here you don't see that many WRXs, at least I see fewer than I do new Beatles, but it seems that in some areas they are more popular, especially in the NW.

15. John Tillman

John Tillman Supporting Actor

I used to have a Subaru GL with the flat four. Is the four in the WRX based on this, or a totally new design?

16. Matt_M

Matt_M Stunt Coordinator

Rally Racing definately kicks ass !!!. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    This kind of driving takes much more skill then the ovals at Nascar thus I never watch the latter.
    Like was mentionned "Tight" road/turns narrow and "opens" is the opposite.
    As far as the lingo I agree with the statements mentioned above. Although it does vary between teams and drivers. I noticed the French co-driver was using the english equivalent of "floor it" from time to time and he was going also saying at what speed the turns should be taken. No precise idea about what the Spanish or Scandinavian co-drivers were saying.
    BTW Rallisport for X-Box is addicitng damn !

17. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

John, the 4-banger in the WRX is a boxer style 2.0 liter with a turbo.

18. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
  19. Michael St. Clair

How much would it cost to convert a WRX to a WRC-compliant car?

Not that I want to do it (I'm not even buying one, and I'm not a pro rally driver), but it seems to me there is some bogus info going around. Some people seem to think that a few safety mods is all it would take to make a WRX the 'real deal'. I'm guessing that this bogus info comes from dealers, and I'm also guessing that it would cost 100 grand or more.

20. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter