What's new

The Loved One (1 Viewer)

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Hi, gang: I can think of too many movies that screams more for DVD issue than one of the funniest and sickest movies ever made, "THE LOVED ONE". Directed in 1965 by Tony Richardson and released by MGM, this dark comedy has a hellava cast: ROBERT MORSE, JOHNATHAN WINTERS, ROD STEIGER, DANA ANDREWS, MILTON BERLE, JAMES COBURN, JOHN GIELGUD, TAB HUNTER, MARGARET LEIGHTON, RODDY McDOWALL, ROBERT MORELY, and LIONEL STANDER. Steiger's performance as the head embalmer at a major L.A. cemetary is not to be believed.

The VHS tape - which was a lousy transfer - is so rare that it brings $70.00 plus on eBay.

Why oh why won't MGM get off it and release this terrific film? They'd sell tons of copies.

What'ya think?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i taped this off tcm a few years ago. they still show it once in awhile. i havent wached the whole movie yet tho'.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Why oh why won't MGM get off it and release this terrific film?-

Because Warner Brothers owns it through their acquisition of Turner Entertainment.

I've never seen this movie, but I have heard good things about it.

I know it's packed with cameos...Doesn't Liberace make an appearance in it?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I'll be seeing you.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
This was annnounced as coming by either Dvd File or The Digital Bits quite a while ago. But it never came. I do have the laser disc (pretty decent, but full screen) to tide me over for until then.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
John, Liberace does have a cameo. Paul Winter who became a singer plays the kid with a handle on rocket science. Like Alan I have the LD.

Barry, I'm not so sure this film would be a big seller on DVD. I wish it would but....

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
John, Liberace does have a cameo. Paul Winter who became a singer plays the kid with a handle on rocket science.
Liberace has a cameo as a casket salesman LOL! Methinks that you meant Paul Williams. Very funny black comedy. Mrs. Joyboy has to be seen to be believed ;).

Cheers.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
I remember seeing this on TCM and thinking "where the heck did this movie come from and how come I've never heard of it?" It was so funny and twisted and I recognized just about everyone in it. I'd definately buy the dvd.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm planning on picking up "The Loved One". I've never seen it, but on the cover I saw tthat it was co-written by Terry Southern and I just knew it would be a good pick.

I downloaded a CD entitled "Give Me Your Hump: The Unspeakable Terry Southern" and I laughed really hard at it, especially pieces like "Rimmers" and "Boulevard Of Broken Balls". Based on that, "The Loved One" sounds like a blast.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And a great cast, also.

JackKay

Second Unit
Ok, this movie that has run under the radar of movie lovers for far too long and is going to be quite a surprise. My personal suggestion would be to just invite some friends over who have no idea about this movie and just startle them. Sooner or later they will look at you and say "this is one of the most weirdest movies I have ever seen".

Please don't talk plot. Let people discover it.

Jack

Just tell people that it was directed by Tony Richardson who just won Oscars for Best Picture and Director for Tom Jones the year before (1963)

Charles H

Screenwriter
There is apparently a "featurette" with the movie. The production history is almost as bizarre and legendary as the film itself. The rough cut was over three hours and the director (Tony Richardson) left aprubtly--vowing never to make another film in Hollywood. The provocative Evelyn Waugh novel had been assigned and/or tackled by everyone from Luis Bunel to Elaine May and casting considerations ranged from Alec Guinness to Richard Burton to Kim Stanley and Phil Silvers (the latter probably in the parts eventually played by Margaret Leighton and Milton Berle). Ruth Gordon, Jayne Mansfield, Barbara Nichols were cut from the release print. Stills survive of Mansfield and Gordon's participation and Nichols' footage was restored to homevideo.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Just finished watching the new featurette " Trying To Offend Everyone ", which appears to be 16x9 enhanced and ran approx. 15 minutes. Interviews with
Paul Williams, Tony Gibbs ( Supervising Editor ), Haskel Wexler ( Producer/ Cinematographer ), Robert Morse, and Anjanette Comer. Some good information on the film. Speaking of which, it looks pretty good! Warners has released more of what we have come to expect from them and it's great to have another obscure film on dvd - loads of fun! By the way, with my old monitor I was not quite sure, but I believe the film is 1:85 OAR - yes?

JackKay

Second Unit
It's now out but hard to find. Went to BB and CC and no luck. (It will filter in a couple of weeks maybe) Found it today (Wed) at Tower (Queen Ann, Seattle) and it was the last one. A Fine Madness and I Love You Alice B. and Petulia were in great supply. A Cult Classic in the Making?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
Got mine Wednesday and am very happy with it. At this price point, of course, a commentary track was not in the cards, although a twisted movie like this would've been greatly enhanced by a commentary.

I would've rather pay more and get the commentary.

When will HTF review it offically? (I'm still waiting for the HTF of the 2nd Bette Davis WB Collection....)

Finally, why can't HTF add an HTF Review button so all of the reviews can be easily found??? (Ronald....are you reading this?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks