What's new

The Loved One (1965) (1 Viewer)

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
This morning, I was surprised to find that Amazon has a DVD page for this black comedy classic, although no release date is set.

A few years ago, during one of the HTF/MGM chats, I asked MGM, and they said that there were no plans at the time for a DVD release. Since then, I've read that Warner has acquired the rights.

Comments?

Thanks, RD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
amazon has a page for almost every movie, it really is just a page for you to put your email address forthem to send you a note that is is available and for you to place a vote for it to come out on dvd.

i have this on tape from the old days of AMC when they didnt butcher movies. widescreen too i think on my tape.

it's about as dark and black as a comedy can get.

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
The thing was, the DVD page is new (I've been monitoring the status of this film for several years now). Perhaps Amazon had limited resources to deal with "missing" titles, and only now got around to this one?

I have the laserdisc (it wasn't that hard to find), and the quality is reasonable, although it is MAR (I assume it is open matte?).

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think it was hard-matted 1.66, so the LD might be trimmed slightly on the sides. But I've never handled a 35mm print, so I can't be certain. The LD looks too tight - to my eyes - on the top and sides to be open-matte.

Wasn't it legal clearances to the original novel that are holding this up? I know that's why the LD and cassette were discontinued.

Here's hoping Warner can get this - the number 2 black comedy of all time behind Dr. Strangelove - onto DVD soon.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Based on the novel by Evelyn Waugh
Directed by Tony Richardson
Produced and Photographed by Haskell Wexler
Edited by Hal Ashby
Screenplay by Terry Southern & Christopher Isherwood
Music by John Addison

Starring Robert Morse, Jonathan Winters, John Gielgud, Anjanette Comer, Robert Morley, Liberace, Milton Berle, Paul Williams, Dana Andrews, Tab Hunter, Roddy McDowell, Margaret Leighton, Lionel Stander

It's a very dark comedy about the funeral business, both humans and pets. It's also riotously funny and the all-star cameos really help the picture along. Every other black comedy (except Dr. Strangelove, which came first) could use the bite and nerve of The Loved One.

It was originally billed as "The motion picture with something to offend everyone!"

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I saw this movie for the first time a couple of years ago on Turner Classic Movies. Very weird...very dark...VERY funny. I'd snatch up a DVD release of this one in a heartbeat.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
Indeed!

Here's hoping that the film gets a good treatment, too. It's obviously butchered quite a bit, and I've heard a director's cut (with even MORE offensive footage! Hurrah!) exists, and I'd love to see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks