What's new

The Loved One (1965) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
178065_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
When Robert Morse passed away a week or so ago, most folks probably thought of his dynamic performance in HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT EVEN TRYING or his later role on Mad Men. Myself? My thoughts immediately went to this mordant black comedy Directed by Tony Richardson adapted from Evelyn Waugh's novel. Morse plays a young man who comes to Hollywood and has to bury his Uncle (John Gielgud). He gets hooked into a cavalcade of shady characters at a funeral home, Whispering Glades.

Morse is terrific here, and along with Gielgud, the supporting cast is chock full of devious delights including Jonathan Winters in a dual role (maybe his best big screen performance), Robert Morley, Rod Steiger, Roddy McDowall, Milton Berle, Tab Hunter, James Coburn - even Liberace! Anjanette Comer plays the girl who attracts Morse's eye.
Adapted by Terry Southern and Christopher Isherwood, the film was considered so tasteless at the time that many dismissed it as a major comedown for Richardson after TOM JONES. Of course, the dark humor is much less “offensive” now (if it ever really was) as it skewers Hollywood and the “Death” business. It was advertised as “The motion picture with something to offend EVERYONE.” THE LOVED ONE is, yes, quite love-able in its own dankly beautiful way.
RIP Robert Morse.

THE LOVED ONE is available to rent for about $3 at all the usual streaming outlets. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
When Robert Morse passed away a week or so ago, most folks probably thought of his dynamic performance in HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS WITHOUT EVEN TRYING or his later role on Mad Men. Myself? My thoughts immediately went to this mordant black comedy Directed by Tony Richardson adapted from Evelyn Waugh's novel. Morse plays a young man who comes to Hollywood and has to bury his Uncle (John Gielgud). He gets hooked into a cavalcade of shady characters at a funeral home, Whispering Glades.

Morse is terrific here, and along with Gielgud, the supporting cast is chock full of devious delights including Jonathan Winters in a dual role (maybe his best big screen performance), Robert Morley, Rod Steiger, Roddy McDowall, Milton Berle, Tab Hunter, James Coburn - even Liberace! Anjanette Comer plays the girl who attracts Morse's eye.
Adapted by Terry Southern and Christopher Isherwood, the film was considered so tasteless at the time that many dismissed it as a major comedown for Richardson after TOM JONES. Of course, the dark humor is much less “offensive” now (if it ever really was) as it skewers Hollywood and the “Death” business. It was advertised as “The motion picture with something to offend EVERYONE.” THE LOVED ONE is, yes, quite love-able in its own dankly beautiful way.
RIP Robert Morse.

THE LOVED ONE is available to rent for about $3 at all the usual streaming outlets. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.
I was lucky to catch this in a revival house in NYC in a stunning 35mm print. 'Twas worth every penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks