What's new

The Love Bug (1969) - Special Edition Specs (1 Viewer)

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
The May 20 DVD release of Disney's "The Love Bug" is going to be a "Special Edition" release with the same design as "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and the 4 Vault Disney titles.

The film will be presented in 1.75:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1. Disc 1 also includes audio commentary with Dean Jones, Michele Lee and Buddy Hackett and the accompanying cartoon short "Susie The Little Blue Coupe" (which also appears on the Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad DVD). Disc Two is also packed with documentaries and featurettes: "That Lovable Bug", "The Many Lives of Herbie", "Herbie Mania", "Lost Treasurs: Searching for Herbie", 1969 Disney Studio Album, Production Galley, Behind-the-Scenes Promo, "Love Bug Day" at Disneyland, "The Man Who Gave Herbie His Voice", 2 deleted scenes ("Used Car Lot" & "Playground"), two Sound Studio features ("Herbie on the Rocks" and "Thorndyke and the Bear"), galleries of the original theatrical trailer & radio spots, advertising material, documents, a screenplay excerpt, and cast biographies. SRP is $29.99.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Outstanding!

1969 Disney Studio Album
so in essence it's a vault disney release without the cover art :rolleyes.

I can't wait for this and 20,000 Leagues, but I was hoping for two more titles, but I'll take what I can get :)

Adam

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
great stuff indeed. I never thought that The Love Bug had so many extra features.

Was there a LD released as well with all of these features ?

I never owned a LD player ?

Thanks in advance

:emoji_thumbsup:

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Was there a LD released as well with all of these features ?
I think most (if not all) of the material is either newly-produced or in the case of archival footage, unreleased. IMDb lists two cropped laserdisc releases, but I don't think much of the Vault Disney supplemental material has ever been available before. A lot of it is newly-created material, like the commentary and some of the documentaries.

James L White

Supporting Actor
The film will be presented in 1.75:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1. Disc 1 also includes audio commentary with Dean Jones, Michele Lee and Buddy Hackett and the accompanying cartoon short "Susie The Little Blue Coupe" (which also appears on the Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad DVD). Disc Two is also packed with...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm there day-and-date! Excellent features. I look forward in particular to the commentary track. Thanks Disney!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
LukeB do you have any idea what happened to the Vault Disney line? was the line percieved not to significantly boost sales Fox 5 Star?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
LukeB do you have any idea what happened to the Vault Disney line? was the line percieved not to significantly boost sales Fox 5 Star?
I don't know for sure, and I don't think we'll ever know for sure...but I'd imagine you're right. Since it hasn't been scrapped as a line altogether, I'd guess that generically renaming them "Special Edition" is Disney's way of hoping to get more sales (a la Fox's "Five Star Collection").

Or maybe Disney doesn't want to confuse "families" with another line.

The specs, cover design, and release month seem to indicate that the only thing changed is the name. Well, that and the way they're not being released in a batch of 4 like last year's were.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I hope you guys are right, but what I fear is that Love Bug and 20,000 Leagues were started and spec'd out when their was a Vault Disney line, and hence they are two disc and OAR. But I fear that future films may not get the same treatment. I hope I'm wrong though.

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
I do beleive it is Herbie's first adventure with DVD. A welcome one at that. Always loved these flicks when younger.

Now if Disney would give us a good special edition of The Black Hole I can die a happy man.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Well, Disney dropped the Flubber when they didn't combine ABSENT MINDED PROFESSOR/SON OF FLUBBER into one bouncy (sorry) specal edition, with commentary perhaps by Nancy Olsen and even Tommy Kirk. Maybe soon? Hint? Hint? :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks