What's new

The louder it gets, the worse it sounds (1 Viewer)

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Ilia

The 602's are very capable speakers at high volume if the power is there. That leads me to believe that either the 602's are damaged or the receiver is simply starting to clip which in turn may have damaged the speakers.

I haven't seen the test numbers on your receiver but it is very common for the factory ratings to be double or more actual output.

Speaking towards your question about other speakers, I have magnepans and love them but they are some seriously power hungry beasts. Less than reference level receivers are not capable of handling the 4 ohm load and at best will make them sound veiled at low volume and at worst will knock a less capable receiver out for the count. If you have the power though... they have a sound like no other speaker and I can't imagine giving mine up.

The maggies also need a lot of room to breath around them. For the best sound my 1.6's need 3 feet of space from the wall and I gave them the same on the sides.

Ilia

Grip
I recall now that I did enjoy listening to DVD material at a high SPL. I'm going to rent a "loud" movie today and compare it with CD. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I had a Nak AV-10. I had it in my music room and purchased it to play CD's through when I practice guitar. I play loud and drive my receivers hard. It sounded horrible at high volume and actually began to clip the speakers. I had Infinity Overture 2's. Then I switched the speakers to Infinity Monitors, RS3's, same problem. Then I pulled my Dunlavy speakers out of my Media room and tried them, same problem. I sold the AV-10, took my Yamaha RX-v2095 out of my media room and now I use it in my music room and it sounds great loud. I replaced the Yamaha with a B&K. Bottom line...I think its the receiver, but thats just my opinion.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Do you have access to another receiver or perhaps an amp to try out? This would be the best way to decide if it's the Nak or your B&Ws that must go.
I love the sound of my Nak AV-8 for movies but just in stereo when I turn it up, it gets seriously harsh.

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, It was a Nakamichi 10. I only played it in stereo mode and played it loud. This is not a knock against Nakamichi, its just for me, this receiver did not drive any of the different speakers that I mentioned, at high volume. It had to be replaced.

Tom

Ilia

Grip
At the time I suspect it is speakers. I always felt room 20x15 was just too big for B&W 602 S3, and therefore will try to audition Magnepan MG12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks