The Lost World (aka Jurassic Park II)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Norris, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I recently got this DVD, widescreen, with Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS soundtrack (says so on the back cover). In the Languages menu I can select either DTS or DD. I picked DD since my receiver does not decode DTS. But all I'm getting is Dolby Pro Logic, as shown on my receiver's read-out. What's going on? I've had no problem with other DVDs' 5.1 soundtrack. Anybody has this DVD can check for me?

Thanks!

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

That's because it is only a Dolby 2.0 soundtrack. If you want Dolby 5.1 that's on a seperate release.

3. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Oh that sucks! Jurassic Park II only with DD 2.0??? I could've sworn that the speaker icon on the back cover shows a 5.1 setup, I'll check later today to be sure.

Thanks!

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    That's the trick with DD. As the inserts in CTHV and MGM releases frequently say: "Dolby Digital is the sound system featured in state-of-the-art movie theatres, and when used with a Dolby Digital receiver, is capable of delivering up to 5.1 separate channels of sound into the home environment, creating a theatre-like, fully-enveloping sound experience."

5. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

Whoooooaa Nelly! Can you explain this one more time slowly so I can prevent this from happening to me???

How does one know that the disk they are buying is the "right one"?

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

One ususally reads the back of the DVD case and checks for the specs. I will occasionally buy a Dolby 2.0 or Surround encoded DVD if it is of an old favorite that I have to have. For the longest time I hae been trying to find a widescreen version of "Jurassic Park III" and I almost picked up the full sreen version and realized my mistake after reading the specs and promptly put it back on the shelf.

7. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The Lost World was one of many releases to be released as two separate versions. A Dolby Digital 5.1 version, and a DTS 5.1 surround version.

The DD version has more extras to boot, and as far as I can tell, the difference in audio is slight.
    The DTS version has DTS Digital Surround written on the top of the cover. The Dolby Digital 5.1 version does not. Either get a DTS compatible setup, or exchange it for the Dolby version. Sorry, Norris.. bad luck.

Most discs these days, if they support DTS, includes both 5.1 mixes on the same disc.

8. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Universal's DTS versions sport a DTS logo on the spine. The 2.0 DD is included becuase the DVD spec requires either a PCM track or some form of DD track to be included.

9. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

Yup, you wanted to get the regular Dolby Digital 5.1 release. The DTS 5.1 release has DTS written up at the very top and only includes Dolby Surround (2.0) instead of Dolby Digital for DVD spec requirements. I seriously debated whether I wanted to get the DD or DTS version of the first film, but after choosing DTS, I definitely feel I made the right decision... [​IMG]