What's new

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
This was the day the Earth was disemboweled with terror!

Well, ok, maybe I wasn't disemboweled with terror, but I did nearly split my gut from laughing so hard.

Lost Skeleton is an affectionate re-creation of the Z-grade schlockers of the '50s and '60s. "Spoof" is too hard a word for the movie and "homage" doesn't quite get it right either. Instead of laughing at those old far-too-earnest and far-too-underfunded movies of yesteryear, Skeleton asks the viewer to laugh with it and with them.

Like the movies it copies, the plot isn't simple. We have the dashingly handsome man of science, Dr Paul Armstrong, visiting a mountain forest with his Betty Crocker-like wife in order to "do science" and find a meteorite that's made of atmospherium. Atmospherium is a rare element that will bring many benefits to humanity, many of them good. Alas, also in the area is the evil scientist Dr Fleming, who is trying to find the legendary lost skeleton of Cadavra Cave who, when revived, will help him conquer the world. Amazingly enough, he needs atmospherium in order to fully revive the skeleton. If this isn't enough, at the same time two aliens have arrived in a crippled spaceship and, by astounding coincidence, they need atmospherium to repair their ship. Unfortunately, they let their pet mutant escape, who begins a mutilation spree. The aliens also carelessly leave their transmutatron gun (which looks suspicously like something from Home Depot) lying around for Dr Fleming to find. He uses it to create a woman from four different "forest creatures" in order to blend in at a dinner party.

If you're thinking "what??" at this point, then you probably should never watch Skeleton. Unless you have an overwhelming fondness for movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space, you will hate the bad acting, bad dialogue, cheap props, the mutant wearing combat boots, the ludicrous special effects, the jerky cuts and edits, changing film stock, the stock footage, the same stock footage repeated, and all the other so-bad-it's-good effects of old movies.

I suppose I'm directly in the target audience for this film. While Lost Skeleton has been my most anticipated DVD in quite some time, my second most anticipated release is the upcoming I Married A Monster From Outer Space. If you're even a fraction as excited about I Married a Monster From Outer Space as I am, then you owe yourself a look at Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Cave.

Lost Skeleton is presented in amazing "Skeletorama" which apparently means a film shot in color on a digital camera, converted to black and white, and then presented in 1.85:1 widescreen, enhanced for 16x9 TVs. Being given full Special Edition status, Lost Skeleton boasts two commentaries, two featurettes, a gallery of 50s style movie merchandise, and an actual vintage cartoon - "Skeleton Frolics".

I give it a firm Grade Z+

I SLEEP NOW

Julie K

Screenwriter
This was the day the Earth was disemboweled with terror!

Well, ok, maybe I wasn't disemboweled with terror, but I did nearly split my gut from laughing so hard.

Lost Skeleton is an affectionate re-creation of the Z-grade schlockers of the '50s and '60s. "Spoof" is too hard a word for the movie and "homage" doesn't quite get it right either. Instead of laughing at those old far-too-earnest and far-too-underfunded movies of yesteryear, Skeleton asks the viewer to laugh with it and with them.

Like the movies it copies, the plot isn't simple. We have the dashingly handsome man of science, Dr Paul Armstrong, visiting a mountain forest with his Betty Crocker-like wife in order to "do science" and find a meteorite that's made of atmospherium. Atmospherium is a rare element that will bring many benefits to humanity, many of them good. Alas, also in the area is the evil scientist Dr Fleming, who is trying to find the legendary lost skeleton of Cadavra Cave who, when revived, will help him conquer the world. Amazingly enough, he needs atmospherium in order to fully revive the skeleton. If this isn't enough, at the same time two aliens have arrived in a crippled spaceship and, by astounding coincidence, they need atmospherium to repair their ship. Unfortunately, they let their pet mutant escape, who begins a mutilation spree. The aliens also carelessly leave their transmutatron gun (which looks suspicously like something from Home Depot) lying around for Dr Fleming to find. He uses it to create a woman from four different "forest creatures" in order to blend in at a dinner party.

If you're thinking "what??" at this point, then you probably should never watch Skeleton. Unless you have an overwhelming fondness for movies like Plan 9 From Outer Space, you will hate the bad acting, bad dialogue, cheap props, the mutant wearing combat boots, the ludicrous special effects, the jerky cuts and edits, changing film stock, the stock footage, the same stock footage repeated, and all the other so-bad-it's-good effects of old movies.

I suppose I'm directly in the target audience for this film. While Lost Skeleton has been my most anticipated DVD in quite some time, my second most anticipated release is the upcoming I Married A Monster From Outer Space. If you're even a fraction as excited about I Married a Monster From Outer Space as I am, then you owe yourself a look at Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Cave.

Lost Skeleton is presented in amazing "Skeletorama" which apparently means a film shot in color on a digital camera, converted to black and white, and then presented in 1.85:1 widescreen, enhanced for 16x9 TVs. Being given full Special Edition status, Lost Skeleton boasts two commentaries, two featurettes, a gallery of 50s style movie merchandise, and an actual vintage cartoon - "Skeleton Frolics".

I give it a firm Grade Z+

I SLEEP NOW

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I've played the trailer for this TO DEATH. Thank GOD it's finally available. Not only do I love those old drive-in classics, I have over 200 of them on DVD.

Your post inspired me to grab it at the Deep Discount 20% off sale just now. Thanks, Julie!

Can't wait.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I've played the trailer for this TO DEATH. Thank GOD it's finally available. Not only do I love those old drive-in classics, I have over 200 of them on DVD.

Your post inspired me to grab it at the Deep Discount 20% off sale just now. Thanks, Julie!

Can't wait.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's very funny, but it's more a renter than a buyer for me. It's very clever-- I went to the opening-night release here in L.A. with the cast and crew and had a really good time, but I don't know how much repeat value there is in the material.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
It's very funny, but it's more a renter than a buyer for me. It's very clever-- I went to the opening-night release here in L.A. with the cast and crew and had a really good time, but I don't know how much repeat value there is in the material.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm eagerly looking forward to watching it again when I get home tonight - so for me, the repeat value is pretty high. But I'll admit others may not see the charm quite like I do.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'm eagerly looking forward to watching it again when I get home tonight - so for me, the repeat value is pretty high. But I'll admit others may not see the charm quite like I do.

Porfirio

Second Unit

Same here.

A little OT: Check out Psycho Beach Party. It pokes fun at the "Surfer/Beach" genre films of the '60s. It's 100% Real Cheeeeessssse... just like The lost skeleton of Cadavra. :D

Porfirio

Second Unit

Same here.

A little OT: Check out Psycho Beach Party. It pokes fun at the "Surfer/Beach" genre films of the '60s. It's 100% Real Cheeeeessssse... just like The lost skeleton of Cadavra. :D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Looks clever. I'm really surprised that this was picked up by Columbia, though. It looks really amateurish in that it looks like a home movie made today to look like an old film. It would be funnier if it was indistinguishable from a movie made in the 1950's. Still, it could be fun.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Looks clever. I'm really surprised that this was picked up by Columbia, though. It looks really amateurish in that it looks like a home movie made today to look like an old film. It would be funnier if it was indistinguishable from a movie made in the 1950's. Still, it could be fun.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

They might have made at least a little more money on it by treating it like a stunt: pretending it's some "lost" B-movie recently discovered in the garage of some forgotten filmmaker. Maybe tour it around rep theatres that way. I mean, the production values are SO close to actual films of the era, at least if that trailer's anything to go on, that you might be able to draw in the curious. Hell, I'd even dig up some old fart to pretend to BE that director just to fake everybody out. And if they figure out the joke halfway through, tough: they've already paid. William Castle could have pulled it off.

Well, it's a thought...

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

They might have made at least a little more money on it by treating it like a stunt: pretending it's some "lost" B-movie recently discovered in the garage of some forgotten filmmaker. Maybe tour it around rep theatres that way. I mean, the production values are SO close to actual films of the era, at least if that trailer's anything to go on, that you might be able to draw in the curious. Hell, I'd even dig up some old fart to pretend to BE that director just to fake everybody out. And if they figure out the joke halfway through, tough: they've already paid. William Castle could have pulled it off.

Well, it's a thought...

Julie K

Screenwriter
Destination: Mars already tried passing itself off as an actual 1950s film. It began with a 'retrospective' and interviews with alleged family members of the cast. The plot of the "lost movie" was similar to Plan 9.

It's a pretty obscure movie and for good reason - it just didn't work. While there were a few chuckles it was no where near as funny as Lost Skeleton and it veered too close to "so-bad-it's-bad" rather than Skeleton's "so-bad-it's-good". I think they also tried too hard - using CGI to insert a fake boom mike seems overkill. (The makers of Lost Skeleton deleted a boom mike that accidentally wound up in the frame - they would have left it in had it been period.)

In any case, Destination: Mars's attempt to bill itself as an actual '50s movie was not believable and I'm glad Lost Skeleton didn't go that route.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Destination: Mars already tried passing itself off as an actual 1950s film. It began with a 'retrospective' and interviews with alleged family members of the cast. The plot of the "lost movie" was similar to Plan 9.

It's a pretty obscure movie and for good reason - it just didn't work. While there were a few chuckles it was no where near as funny as Lost Skeleton and it veered too close to "so-bad-it's-bad" rather than Skeleton's "so-bad-it's-good". I think they also tried too hard - using CGI to insert a fake boom mike seems overkill. (The makers of Lost Skeleton deleted a boom mike that accidentally wound up in the frame - they would have left it in had it been period.)

In any case, Destination: Mars's attempt to bill itself as an actual '50s movie was not believable and I'm glad Lost Skeleton didn't go that route.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Dr.Fleming: "Where do I find this Atmoshereum?

Skeleton: :How should I know? Thats your job. I sleep now."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This has to be the best bad movie ever made. i wish I bought it instead of renting it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks