What's new

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (2022) - Season 1 (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I sat down to watch episode 2 but it said it’s currently not available.

Anyone see the same thing?

EDIT: it’s back. A momentary glitch, perhaps.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Apparently, Amazon has suspended reviews of this show on their site due to some fans negative review bombing over the casting of non-caucasions, so toxicity is not unique to Star Wars fans.

I think casting non-caucasions in central roles is odd for this particular franchise, considering the roots of the source material are in Germanic and Nordic lore; however, times are different now and call for different practices.

I'll have to get around to setting up the old Prime account through Telus and take a look at it; although, I'm not sure how much staying power I will have for a series on the Pre-ring period of Middle Earth. I never could finish The Silmarillion. Too dry and dusty for me.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I thought the first show was just meh. It looked beautiful but it felt like the entire episode was exposition and setup. Honestly, the first scene felt like it was 30 minutes long, then the Title came up and I thought wow, I guess these are only 30 minutes episodes, then I checked and saw it had only been 17 minutes and there was still a lot of show left.

I did find it kind of creepy that young Galadriel wore such a sheer gown while adult Galadriel was allowed to have some sort of slip under her gown. Also, young Galadriel's ears were too big, so they stood out as fake to me.

I enjoyed the second episode much more. It was really cool seeing a working Dwarf mine. I'm really liking young Elrond. This little sideplot are what I'm hoping for in this series, a chance to explore and hang out in this world, but with purpose.

The inclusion of non-caucasian actors didn't bother me at all, but I'll admit my curiosity was piqued as to how black elves and black harfoots came to be in a tale where societies are so geographically and culturally separated.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
but I'll admit my curiosity was piqued as to how black elves and black harfoots came to be in a tale where societies are so geographically and culturally separated.
I guess Eru Illuvatar and the Ainur thought the songs of the world were more beautiful that way.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The inclusion of non-caucasian actors didn't bother me at all, but I'll admit my curiosity was piqued as to how black elves and black harfoots came to be in a tale where societies are so geographically and culturally separated.

One might also question why they all have similar accents.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't get the backlash against casting choices based on ethnicity. The book was written in one time period, the show is being done in another one.

There's no logic behind it. There's also the point where people don't seem to understand that Middle Earth isn't our Earth from long ago. It's a made-up place with made-up characters of made-up races. Just because Tolkien (allegedly) didn't describe any darker-skinned characters doesn't mean they can't exist at all within that world. There's no "historical accuracy" to preserve, because there's no actual history involved.

I'm reminded of a time back in the day in a TV-related Usenet group when someone was arguing that a show -- pretty sure it was Forever Knight -- did something that they thought was contrary to the "rules" regarding vampires. I responded that since vampires weren't real, there were no such "rules", and that each writer of a novel, comic book, movie, or TV show can decide what their vampires could do or not do.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Despite my initial misgivings and distaste for another "Lord of The Rings" story, my wife and I are really enjoying this series. I have see the Jackson LOTR and Hobbit movies in the theatre, at home on Blu ray and extended versions plus all the extras and in 3D when possible. (I did the same with the first LOTR sets on DVD) and thought I was done. I find it especially interesting to see places in full swing here which are just ruins in the Jackson films

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I rather liked the first two episodes. I am a huge LoTR (book) fan, and have read The Hobbit many times. But the Silmarillion and the Christopher Tolkien edited books were dense reading for me which I did in my youth and haven't had the time to pick up again some 30 years later, so I don't have as much vested interest in the story adaptation as I did LoTR, a novel which I can recite long passages from (probably shouldn't be proud of that).

I will also stay spoiler free, and also won't venture an appraisal on the series as a whole because I think it's only fair to judge it when the season is fully released (for example I found the first few episodes of GoT S1 to be really slow, only to have that Season be one of the best TV series seasons I've ever seen).

One thing I'll bemoan is the continued lack of Dolby Vision support on the AppleTV Prime App. Fired up the Prime App on my LG OLED and got the DV version, but I really prefer using my ATV for all streaming. But it looks like for this, I'll be using the LG Prime App.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The scene with Galadriel riding the horse was awesome in every sense of the word. The slow-mo was a tad goofy, yes, but man it was like I had never seen the colour blue until that moment. Just beautiful.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
This episode displayed one of the problems with a prequel: knowing that it's not going to end well for one of the characters introduced in this episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks