What's new

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (2022) - Season 1 (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
As much as I love the movies (or more specifically, The Fellowship of the Ring), it just isn't Fellowship of the Ring unless I get three full entire episodes of Frodo carefully planning out the sale of Bag End to the Sackville-Bagginses, and dragging his feet on departure for literally weeks and weeks and weeks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Batman V Superman is probably more fun on cocaine...like, imagine a Being John Malkovich scenario only you go into coked-out Nicolas Cage and BvS is the movie you watch. That's probably great.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
And really, if I want a larger vision of the Tolkien-verse, I'll just load up The Lord of the Rings Online MMO, which has some absolutely amazing extrapolations and expansions upon Middle-earth beyond the scope of the books, and which I've been playing for nearly ten years now.

I'm certainly not opposed to any continuation of Tolkien's work, it's simply that a totally brand-new live-action adaptation seems extremely redundant coming so quickly after Peter Jackson's films (which any TV show will instantly get unfavorably compared to, fairly or unfairly).

Last edited:

Eve Babcock

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eve Babcock
Seriously...a new adaptation of Tolkien's trilogy. Jeff Bezos/Amazon are looking for this to be their Game of Thrones:

http://www.variety.com/2017/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-amazon-1202606519/

LL

Goddammit, Amazon, The Silmarillion is right there. It even has dragons!

Ugh. It's not like there's a dearth of fantasy books already.

If they want Tolkien so bad, just do The Wheel of Time. That's, like, 20 seasons of TV right there if people dig it enough.

Wow!!!! Is this even serious?? OMG!

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
There is always Wheel of Time that still needs to turned into a quality mini-series.

Edit - Just like JoshEH said in the very first post! (that's what I get for skimming...)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Yes to all of the alternate titles mentioned so far. All would be better than a rehash of a mostly well done movie series.

I'll even throw out a few more (in no particular order):

Discworld - Terry Pratchett
The Earthsea Cycle - Ursula K. LeGuinn
The Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
The Elric Saga - Michael Moorcock
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson
The Death Gate Cycle -Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Dragonriders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Darkover Series - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Barsoom Series - Edgar Rice Burroughs
Magic Kingdom of Landover series - Terry Brooks
The World of Tiers - Philip Jose Farmer
Witch World series - Andre Norton

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
What about making the second and third novels in The Golden Compass series? I found the first one fascinating.

If you have the time and haven't already, I'd highly recommend just reading the trilogy. The first book was vastly superior to the movie, and there's no chance in hell of the other two getting adapted anytime soon.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Yes to all of the alternate titles mentioned so far. All would be better than a rehash of a mostly well done movie series.

I'll even throw out a few more (in no particular order):

Discworld - Terry Pratchett
The Earthsea Cycle - Ursula K. LeGuinn
The Chronicles of Amber - Roger Zelazny
The Elric Saga - Michael Moorcock
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - Stephen R. Donaldson
The Death Gate Cycle -Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman
Dragonriders of Pern - Anne McCaffrey
Ringworld - Larry Niven
The Darkover Series - Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Barsoom Series - Edgar Rice Burroughs
Magic Kingdom of Landover series - Terry Brooks
The World of Tiers - Philip Jose Farmer
Witch World series - Andre Norton

Ringworld at least is under development by Amazon.

http://deadline.com/2017/09/ringworld-lazarus-snow-crash-amazon-genre-drama-series-push-1202179073/

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Shoot, they wouldn't even have to buy the rights to the books (unless they wanted a particular translation), but they could do a couple of seasons of the Iliad, a couple for the Odyssey and then finish it off with a couple of the Aeneid.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If you have the time and haven't already, I'd highly recommend just reading the trilogy. The first book was vastly superior to the movie, and there's no chance in hell of the other two getting adapted anytime soon.
I have read the books when the movie came out and enjoyed them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Interesting read... especially the mention that Ringworld was a syfy mini-series. I may look it up just because...

I gave up on that channel years ago when it felt like every time I switched to the channel wrestling was on and then they changed the name from sci-fi to syfy solely to trademark the name. I thought they were mostly wrestling, reality, and "Sharknado" type programs these days... The last thing I recall actually watching on the channel was the new Battlestar Galactica.

Lazarus... Hmmm... I read the comic. I wonder if they'll do it justice.

**EDIT**
Ringworld was "developed" but never produced, much like The Man in the High Castle.

strumzilla

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
I'm hoping this will either draw from all the previously unfilmed material (Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, etc.) or it will be prequel or otherwise non continuity related to the movies. I suppose it's possible to tell stories outside of the main plot line from within the same timeframe, but there's so much other material for them to cover and this deal is supposed to be with Tolkien's estate. Remaking the LOTR/Hobbit would be a wretched cash grab. I agree with the other posters that there are so many great fantasy series just ripe for adaptation - Moorcock's multiverse, Zelazny's Amber, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks