The Lord of the Cars: The Return of the Civic

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, May 9, 2004.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Well, after long deliberations I've finally decided what I'm going to do. I'm going to get a 2004 Honda Civic EX Coupe in Satin Silver Metallic instead of the Accord or Solara. There are several reasons for this decision:

1. It will allow me to get a new car now *AND* move out on my own in August.

2. It won't put me in a financial bind with car payments and insurance. I'll still be making car payments and paying insurance but they'll be much lower than if I bought a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry Solara.

3. I really like the design of the interior and exterior of the Civic. A really nice design that I can live with and enjoy at the same time, which is important!

4. Honda has 2.9% APR and a $400.00 factory to dealer incentive according to Edmunds.

I test drove it yesterday to be sure that I wasn't missing anything but lo and behold I ended up falling in love with the 2004 Civic EX. A really nice car. Its design, handling, and performance is like a cross between my 1996 Civic LX Sedan and a 2004 Honda Accord EX (the one that I test drove anyway). I think I can make a compromise on this. This way I'll have a car that I like and enjoy. Plus, financially I'll still be in the green.

And what about the color? First of all I wanted to get the Magnesium Metallic color but when I saw it in person it wasn't really all that great. They make it look like the Honda Accord's graphite pearl on the web site. However, in person it isn't really all that dark and I think the color is rather ugly (oh well). I love the Satin Silver Metallic, though.

Aaahhh, life is good. Now all I gotta do is sell my current Civic, go to the dealership and the car is mine. Well, it's not that simple of course but the job will get done...hopefully this month! [​IMG]

2. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Yep it's hard to get out of a Civic when you buy one.

Make sure it has enough power for you. The 5 speed in my 03LX is the only thing that makes it drivable. If I had and automatic it wouldn't be a Civic.

Great interior eh! a little drab, but the materials are all top rate. I just wish they still padded the window sills like they used to, seemed like a richer car with them

B
    I know, you've got 127hp, but the 0-60 diff is minimal and for daily driving probably isn't noticable.

Way to go Brian[​IMG]

3. Ron C

Ron C Stunt Coordinator

Civics are nice albient a bit boring. Very reliable though. My choice for an economy car would be the mazda 3. Great looks, VERY torque engine. 2.4L compared to the civics 1.6L. However, the are a little pricey(for an economy car) at $16,000-$22,000, and don't get as good gas mileage as the civics. But boy are they fun!

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I've been driving the same Honda (CRX) for almost 16 years. It still runs and looks like new. It's a blast to drive, and I can vouch for its low cost of ownership. I can't think of anything currently available that I'd ever want to replace it with.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought about getting an Accord, but I think the styling is ugly, and the Civics appear to be almost the same size as Accords of the past 3-4 years as Honda tries to re-position the Accord in a higher price range which doesn't appeal to me. I drove an '82 Honda Accord until 1996, and then bought a '94 Civic and have been driving it ever since. I figure I have another 3-4 years of having no car payments if I treat my Civic right. Once you drive a car that's been paid for, the urge to upgrade subsides mightily. Plus, I should be able to buy my next car in one lump sum, like I did with my current Civic in '96 as I paid cash on that one.

But I will say that I've been thinking about checking out the new Altima too.

6. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Actually, I like the 2004 Accord LX sedan better than the Civic EX sedan.

Besides the fact the Accord is a far roomier car than the Civic, the fact Honda switched to a five-speed automatic for the Accord with the current model means even the four-cylinder model with its 160 bhp engine is not flat-footed on acceleration. I test drove an Accord LX last year and its performance was much better than I anticipated--you can reach freeway speeds surprisingly quickly. [​IMG]

7. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Just curious, but what's the Civic EX going to run you? You might be able to get into an RSX for the same or less. Sticker is just over $20k for a base RSX, but I am sure that you can talk 'em down a little (I know a great SoCal dealer and salesman if you're interested). A base RSX comes with 160hp 2.0L engine, automatic climate control, sunroof, cd player, power windows/locks, keyless entry, 4-wheel disc brakes w/ABS, front and side air bags. The only options on the base model are leather or cloth and 5-speed or automatic (w/tiptronic type feature).

Just a thought.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

BINGO.
    I drove a paid for car for about 5 years, got sick of it and jumped into a payment, now I'm jumping back out just as quick.

9. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Just move out and worry about a decent car later. I kept my beater car when I moved out and never looked back. After awhile I was able to buy a brand new 1993 Honda Civic DX. It now has 245,000 miles on it, two baby seats in the back and sits in front of a very nice house on a lake. Because of having no payments I was able to afford to buy the nice house on the lake. I am finially getting a little tired of it, but I would rather spend the eventual car payment on HT gear. (2, make that 4 15" Shivas)

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Let me be fair, I don't like the looks of the latest 4-door Accords (the fat stubby/bubbly backend has to go), but I do like the 2-door Accord coupe styling more.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I agree with Daniel. You're going back to school and moving out. This can make things pretty tight, financially. You might find life more pleasant if you don't have a car payment to worry about. And a few years down the road you'll be in better shape to buy the car you really want.

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I didn't buy my first new car until 3 years after I'd moved out. I don't think I'd have been able to manage school, rent, etc. along with a car payment.

Unless your current civic is literally falling apart (highly doubtful), I'd also recommend keeping it another few years or at least until you're thoroughly settled in your own place and your finances have completely stabilized after the move.

13. Scott L

Scott L Producer

*cough*buy a used 240hp Altima for $16k*cough* [​IMG]

As Brent said once you go Civic it's hard to buy another car, simply because it never dies! [​IMG] I like Steve's advice, I too like to stick with a car until it pretty much gives out before I see what's out there. Even after I graduate college I plan to keep my 96 maxima til the wheels fall off.

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

See? This is why my eye keeps drifting over to the Altima as well. Need to do some first-hand research on that model, though.

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Brian, my son got a pretty good price on his Civic via the internet sales at Gardena Honda in Gardena.

Did pretty much the whole thing on the net, until he went in and closed. I thought a very good price as well.

16. Brian Harnish

Lew- I'm doing the same thing -- I'm getting a very good price on the Civic through internet sales as well. Plus, I'll be selling off my current car and using the funds to get a significant down payment. This way, when I get my inheritance in October, I can just use that to pay my monthly payments while I'm living in my new bachelor pad. [​IMG]

Scott- I'm planning on keeping this car for about 10 years, so that on October 21st, 2015 (yes, that's my birthday *grin*), I'll be able to either Hover-Convert my Civic into a Skyway flyer or buy a new, sleek Honda Skyway Flyer. Of course, that's assuming such technology will even exist in our own 2015. [​IMG]

Steve Schaffer wrote:

Trust me, my finances will be completely stabilized much sooner. I'll be getting a nice inheritance in October which I will be able to use towards my loan on my car. I plan on using this loan to build up my credit substantially.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    How do you mean? Did you previously have bad credit and now want to establish a record of responsibility? Otherwise the notion of needing a loan to establish "credit" is bogus (IMO).

I was house-hunting last year and had never had a consistent loan payment. But my credit rating was golden. I had a job, no debt, and paid my credit card bills. That's all it takes.

Regardless, enjoy your soon-to-be Civic. It sounded like you were moving out of home to be a full-time student, which is a tough time to buy new. But I saw from another thread that you're starting a new job soon, which definitely makes a new car more reasonable. Have fun! [​IMG]

18. Brian Harnish

DaveF wrote:

Dave- Well, I'm just shy of being a prime borrower as far as my credit rating goes, but even that high score makes it difficult for me to get a loan. Why? I don't have enough of a credit history to get such a loan without a co-signer.

I'd like to build up my credit to the point where I can get a loan independently. That's the essential purpose of this loan. Plus, my income doesn't reach even the minor limits for loan qualification. At least with my new job in sales, I'll be able to double the amount of my current income.

If indeed I were moving out to become a full-time student, I'd never consider a new car unless I already had the cash reserves to afford the loan and insurance payments. With my new job, however, I'll be able to afford things easily (and be able to move out in August, with October freeing up an immense amount of my earned income as a result of my inheritance which is due to arrive that month).