What's new

The Looney Tunes are HERE! (1 Viewer)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
My only gripe is with the packaging is that on top of foghorns head ,is the one froggy evening frog, when he does not appear on both of the sets . Wierd. Also 1 question to Ron, it appears this set has an outer slipcase, correct ?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yes, there is an outer slipcase, very similar
to those found in the Warner Legends set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does this come in a slip-case or is it just a fold-out booklet and is the first picture still in it's shrinkwrap? I really hope WB marketing haven't gone the same route as Disney by littering the covers of all their special edition sets with promo stickers and ads! :angry:

Are those shown over the packaging in picture 1 or is that the outer slip-case??

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Please accept my apologies in advance if the information
I'm trying to convey is technically incorrect or outdated.

However, with regard to the question of whether to retain
laserdiscs with animated content, I thought I remembered reading the following data:

The laserdisc mastering approach honored the 24 frames-per-
second standard, with a necessary but acceptable speed-up to 30 frames-per-second for playback on NTSC equipment.
The DVD mastering standard is based on either 32 or 33
frames-per-second. The difference is supposedly
extra-noticeable with animation, as opposed to
live action.

If this is true, I would think fans who really want to
study the art of animation on a frame-by-frame basis
would be inclined to retain their laserdiscs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Does this come in a slip-case or is it just a fold-out booklet and is the first picture still in it's shrinkwrap? I really hope WB marketing haven't gone the same route as Disney by littering the covers of all their special edition sets with promo stickers and ads!
I think I clarified this above.

The set arrives in a cardboard slipcase.

The innards pull out and open to a 3-panr gatefold
that contains numerous pictures and a list of the
cartoon shorts.

Any promo stickers or ads are attached to the
box's outer shrinkwrap which can be removed. Of
course, most of us keep the shrinkwrap on all our
DVD cases.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My only gripe is with the packaging is that on top of foghorns head ,is the one froggy evening frog, when he does not appear on both of the sets .
His name is Michigan J. Frog, btw. :)

I am counting the minutes until next Tuesday morning. With the Treasures sets and now the Golden Collection, it's an amazing time for animation on DVD.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Borrowing once again from Jerry Beck's website, Jerry is hosting a screening of Victory Through Air Power along with several wartime shorts TONIGHT at:

THE ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS & SCIENCES
Samuel Goldwyn Theater
8949 Wilshire Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA

Doors open at 7:00 PM

Get a sneek peek at the Disney film before the Wartime DVD release in December...

(Sorry that this is unrelated to the WB discs - a copy of this post is being placed in the MOVIES section)

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Ron,if you get around to watching them again, im anxious to hear if the menus are plain or interactive .Thanks once again for sharing.:)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
- "Of course, most of us keep the shrinkwrap on all our
DVD cases."

Ron, how is that possible? Don't you need to remove the shrinkwrap in order to open the product?

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Shrinkwrap is non-archival storage material, and the plastic can stick to packaging, warp packaging, and have chemical reactions with the ink in packaging.

I own some old games and even laserdiscs where the packaging is in much worse shape due to the shrinkwrap having been left on the box.

If you want to preserve an item that arrives shrinkwrapped, you are actually better off carefully removing the shrinkwrap, and placing the item into an inert storage container, like an archival mylar bag (not all mylar is archival!).

Me, I don't even bag comic books any more. I realized I'm in it for the enjoyment, not the collecting/preservation.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Ron, how is that possible? Don't you need to remove the shrinkwrap in order to open the product?
Marco,

On an Amaray case, yes.

Cardboard cases, no. I simply cut out the wrap
from the side panel that allows you slip out the
innards.

I do everything I can to protect packaging.

Now back to the Toones.....

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Yeah, I've seen discs (and other things) where the shrinkwrap had "fused" to the case. Leaving the shrinkwrap on = bad idea. It doesn't really protect that much anyway. Anything that would scratch the shrinkwrap would probably still leave an indentation mark on the case.

As for the Looney Tunes set, I'm undecided. I've bought other cartoons that I loved as a kid (Battle of the Planets, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Superfriends) and been disappointed to find that nostalgia alone wasn't enough to overlook their shortcomings as adult entertainment. I'm not sure I want to make that mistake again. I'll probably rent one of the discs from Netflix first.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I've seen discs (and other things) where the shrinkwrap had "fused" to the case.
Yeah, ink transfer and 'sticking' is another problem (different from the discoloration). Which problems you have depends on the formulation of the shrinkwrap and what inks and printing processes are used on the packaging.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
As for the Looney Tunes set, I'm undecided. I've bought other cartoons that I loved as a kid (Battle of the Planets, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Superfriends) and been disappointed to find that nostalgia alone wasn't enough to overlook their shortcomings as adult entertainment. I'm not sure I want to make that mistake again. I'll probably rent one of the discs from Netflix first.
Superfriends and Battle of the Planets are not fit to wash the floor that the timeless Looney Tunes walk on!

Bullwinkle is an aquired taste, and is of a very different flavor (and low budget production).

Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies are for all ages and all eras!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
People please for the love of God do NOT buy the 2-disc set. With the 4-disc set (which can be had for around $40), not only do you get a lot more shorts, but practically every short features a commentary or an isolated score and the set has a ton more extras. And on top of that, Warner will be monitoring the sales of these two sets in order to see how to proceed further with other volumes of Looney Tunes, and should they even bother.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks