Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

The Long, Hot Summer Blu-ray Review
longhotsummertop2.jpg

A southern fried melodrama based on characters and situations from a series of William Faulker stories, Martin Ritt's The Long, Hot Summer offers romance and drama in equal measure filled with a brilliant cast and lush location photography that makes the most of the Cinemascope screen.

[review]

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Matt! This film has long been a favorite of my wife's and I've seen parts but not the whole thing. She and I will be viewing the TT in short order.

This is the kind of release that would have been tailor made for a Nick & Julie (and Lem or another third party of their choice) commentary, but unfortunately real life gets in the way sometimes. Looking forward to watching this and continued best wishes for the TT gang.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Great review Matt, thanks! You've whetted my appetite to see this again as it's been quite some while (I had completely forgotten, for example, that Angela Lansbury was in it!)

Glad to know it looks so good!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I love this film to death! Alex North's underscore is one of the most sensual film scores ever composed (only John Barry's Body Heat comes close). I think Welles is terrific here and his performances makes me wish he had played Big Daddy in Cat On A Hot Tin roof instead of Burl Ives.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I also wouldn't mind seeing the TV remake from the mid 80's again. I don't think I've seen it since its initial airing but I remember thinking (at the time) that is was very well cast (Jason Robards as Will Varner, Judith Ivey as Noel, and Cybill Shepherd as a very oversexed Eula) and well acted with a leisurely running time that suited the material nicely. It was adapted by "Educating Rita's" favorite author, Rita Mae Brown (not since Flannery O'Connor has anyone done Southern fried sex so well.) Has anyone seen it recently? I wonder how it holds up.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I also wouldn't mind seeing the TV remake from the mid 80's again. I don't think I've seen it since its initial airing but I remember thinking (at the time) that is was very well cast (Jason Robards as Will Varner, Judith Ivey as Noel, and Cybill Shepherd as a very oversexed Eula) and well acted with a leisurely running time that suited the material nicely. It was adapted by "Educating Rita's" favorite author, Rita Mae Brown (not since Flannery O'Connor has anyone done Southern fried sex so well.) Has anyone seen it recently? I wonder how it holds up.

Yes, I've seen it recently. I have the German DVD (it's available on Amazon.de). The transfer is adequate, nothing more. This is what I wrote about it:

A drifter (Don Johnson) with a reputation as a "barn burner" arrives at a small Southern town run by the patriarch (Jason Robards) of the Varner family. The old man takes a liking to the drifter and even urges him to get involved with his spinster daughter (Judith Ivey) while his own son (William Russ) seethes with anger at being displaced. Although the screenplay is attributed to Rita Mae Brown and Dennis Turner based on the William Faulkner novel THE HAMLET, the film is based more on the 1958 film version of the same name rather than Faulkner's book. Some of the dialog is taken verbatim from the previous Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank screenplay. The first half of the film stays closely to the 1958 film but the last 40 minutes drifts off with material that is neither from Faulkner nor the 1958 film and it deflates quickly. Up until then, it was a solid piece of entertainment, well done. The acting however is uneven, ranging from awful (William Russ) to adequate (Don Johnson) to good (Judith Ivey). And I could have done without the hideous droning synthesizer score by Charles Bernstein. Directed by Stuart Cooper. With Ava Gardner (wasted), Cybill Shepherd, James Gammon and Wings Hauser.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Both Lee Remick's and Paul Newman's eyes positively sparkle in this transfer. They're VERY noticeable.

Strangely, what appears to be a bit of yellow layer failure, may be spiking those beautiful blues...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Could that account for the overly brown skin tones or is that just a color timing choice?

Could account for many things, including slightly blue highlights on the dark brown furniture in the bedroom, early in the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks