The Lone Wolf And Cub Series

Gordon McMurphy

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
All the remaing films will be released throughout 2004.

The films are superbly restored and remastered with original mono soundtracks. Great series. Amazing action scenes. Beatifully shot in scope.

Gordy

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Also was discussed in this thread about the Baby Cart Samurai movies from a few years ago. I point this out as there are details about AnimEigo's remaster of some (but not all) of their Samurai Cinema film library.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have the first one, bought blind.
Loved it! beuatiful transfer. I need to go pick up the 2nd.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I was quite happy with these movies. I blindly ordered them from Animeigo. It takes a few minutes to get used to them. Compared to Yojimbo, or the Zatiochi series there is a plethora of severed limbs and gore. The gore is done in a non-realistic fashion, with bright blood pumping out of arteries at hose velocities. Its funny.

A very entertaining series.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I decided to hold off until these DVD's are (hopefully) available in stores for (hopefully) a cheaper price. At any rate there's a lot more titles to keep up with between now and the end of the year so it shouldn't be hard, but I do want to eventually start my LW&C collection. Maybe next year?

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I have seen both available at Media Play.
That's where I picked up the first and plan on getting the 2nd.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium

The makers must have been trying to recreate the bloodletting of the original comic. The comic is graphic: arms, legs, hands, and skull-splitting. Just about anything that could be done with an edged weapon was shown in the original manga. I never found the manga to be comical in any way though. The movies sound like they trivialize the source material. If they do, it is too bad. The LONE WOLF AND CUB manga is a great series of graphic fiction.

Jeff Flugel

Effects Supervisor
Premium
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Don't judge the film series too harshly, yet, Edwin-S. IMO they handle the source material with respect and due seriousness. Some people react to the extreme violence in an amused way, perhaps to distance themselves from it. It all depends on how you respond to graphic bloodletting.

Check the films out, I highly recommend them! Some of the plot points from the much lengthier manga series are of neccesity left out, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality of the films.

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
If I can ever rent these films I will take a look at them. I'm not sure I want to commit to purchasing any of them, but the comments here have made me curious to see at least one of them.

Andy Sheets

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
The makers of the film are the makers of the comic in the sense that the films were written by the same guy who wrote the comics, and aside from some condensing of the storylines the movies are very faithful adaptations.

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
In Canada, the two Lone Wolf and Cub movies are being released on Nov 25th and Dec 16th. Up to now, they were only available as an import and priced very high.

I'm looking forward to getting them.

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
From which episodes of the series was Shogun Assasin compiled?
It's mostly made up of the second film along with about 10 minutes from the first film. Shogun Assassin is an entertaining film in its own right (I usually dislike dubbed, re-edited foreign films but this one was handled cleverly) and was probably most North Americans' first exposure to these excellent films.

I am also a big fan of the original manga and thought that this series of films are very good adaptations. I've never seen the Japanese TV show that came later, but would be interested in seeing it.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I definitely want Shogun Assassin on DVD. The child's perspective is very interesting. Kind of like Road to Perdition only much more graphic.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
The films are anamorphically enhanced.

They are fairly faithful adaptations of the manga. Although the actor who plays Ogami Itto is slightly stockier and "beefier" than how he's presented on page. Nice jowls, bro!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
singhjabar