What's new

The Lone Ranger (Creators of Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy + Johnny Depp as Tonto) (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Depp as Tonto (likely inking a deal that has him playing the role in three films), teaming with director Tim Burton for a seventh time, and returning to the role of Jack Sparrow. Disney is paying this dude a mint for these movies.

Disney also confirmed that the third 'National Treasure' movie will hit theaters during the holiday season of 2010, while "Cars 2" will open a year earlier than expected. The movie will now be released during the summer of 2011 instead of 2012.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Depp as Tonto? That is an... interesting choice. Don't know if its good or bad but it would likely change the dynamics of the relationship between the Lone Ranger and Tonto.

OTOH, another Pirate's movie? Ugh!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Does this mean he'll be too busy to play Barnabas Collins?
I hope so ...

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Johnny Depp playing Tonto, a Native American sidekick? Who makes these retarded decisions? In fact, how do they make a modern movie that actually makes The Lone Ranger a relevant character? His time was done a long time ago.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member

They'll probably play him as a superhero of the Old West.

As for Depp, maybe some producer watched Downey in Tropic Thunder and thought, "Whoa, I totally buy him as a black dude. Depp as an Indian? It'll be a cinch!"

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

Just in case this is not known according to IMDB Depp has an interesting heritage makeup - "He has said in interviews that he is of Cherokee, Irish, and German descent, with some Navajo as well."

My comment was more to whomever is cast as The Lone Ranger will probably end up in a diminished role than traditionally has been filmed, unless a major star of Depp's stature is cast.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Besides, this is not exactly the first time he's played an Native American Indian in a film. In fact, he even directed the film himself; The Brave.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

One could say the same thing about making movies about pirates. Look how that turned out.

I tend to agree with Lou that unless the Long Ranger is a big name, Tonto's gonna get a lot more screen time.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Exactly. Unless, they get a big name for the Lone Ranger. The character will be overshadowed by Depp.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

I kinda see them getting a young late 20s up and coming star as the Lone Ranger and Depp as his older mentor. In a way like Pirates; Orlando Bloom to Johnny Depp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks