What's new

The Lone Ranger - Collector's Edition Set (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
It's probably a result of the non-existent sales of this set to consumers that expected better, but Costco has reduced the price to $79.99 through 7/28. That's actually not a bad price, but you still get the edited episodes and the other issues that Jeff noted above.

My local store has sold exactly 1 copy since release date.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
sv6t0j.jpg

For the Lone Ranger collectors out there, this set's a gem. It's a large box so it may require some creative storage plans.

14 1/4" H
11 1/8" D
1 5/8" W

The discs are stored in cardboard folders. There are 15 total folders. The sleeves are similar to the Lone Ranger 75th Anniversary set and Wagon Train sets.

Removing the discs from the sleeves requires care. That's my only "minus" about the packaging in the box set.

Folder 15 contains a bonus disc and the 2 Lone Ranger movies.

The insides of the front and back box covers contain misc L.R. comic page prints as well as various pictures related to the series. Each disc folder has the similar photos and pictures.

The discs are color coded according to seasons. I made an Excel file for my box and printed it out for a quick listing of discs and episode #'s for a substitute to frequently removing the episode guide that's included inside the box in the inner sleeve of the rear cover. I attached the Excel file in this post in case anyone's interested in looking.

Included in the rear cover inner sleeve is a packet containing souvenirs/collectibles:

- B/W reproduction signed L.R. picture with Clayton Moore and "Silver"

- Mini Comic Book titled "The Legend of the Lone Ranger"

- Reproductions of a post card. It appears to me to be "Join the Lone Ranger Safety Club" application post card, with a 1¢ stamp.

- Reproduction of a "Lone Ranger Victory Corps" card

I've only plugged in a few discs in my PC to check video Q. They look the same as the 75th Anniversary disc transfers.

This set is a good buy for Lone Ranger fans that want the complete series in a collectors nostalgia box.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm still waiting for a "completion set" that just has Seasons 3-5 for those of us who don't want to double-dip on Seasons 1 & 2. I doubt it'll every happen as Classic Media is not the most consumer friendly company out there. If they were the packaging on the new set would be better and the bonus material wouldn't have been all recycled from the 75th Anniversary release. Of course if I wait long enough the price may drop to what I'm willing to pay considering all the duplicate material I'd be purchasing... I'd *really* like to have the episodes but I just can't get past the negatives of the complete set (mostly the packaging, size of the box, and the price)...

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
BobO'Link said:
I'm still waiting for a "completion set" that just has Seasons 3-5 for those of us who don't want to double-dip on Seasons 1 & 2. I doubt it'll every happen as Classic Media is not the most consumer friendly company out there. If they were the packaging on the new set would be better and the bonus material wouldn't have been all recycled from the 75th Anniversary release. Of course if I wait long enough the price may drop to what I'm willing to pay considering all the duplicate material I'd be purchasing... I'd *really* like to have the episodes but I just can't get past the negatives of the complete set (mostly the packaging, size of the box, and the price)...
I'm waiting for the "competion set" too, but with DVD cases!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'll jump when the price is right as it seems likely that this is the best quality we'll ever get. I'm looking for $40 or below. As an aside, this is yet another case where I would have been happier with cheaper and more practical packaging.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
It appears that The Lone Ranger Collector's Edition Coffee Table Book With DVD's and Extras is now out of print, and selling for $250.00 from the Amazon marketplace. Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-release this show -as season sets or in conventional DVD cases?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
LouA said:
It appears that The Lone Ranger Collector's Edition Coffee Table Book With DVD's and Extras is now out of print, and selling for $250.00 from the Amazon marketplace. Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-release this show -as season sets or in conventional DVD cases?
Be nice if they did. Right now, only the first two seasons are available on DVD. What makes me nervous is the movie laid such a colossal egg, Classic Media may not view it as a good investment to release the other seasons. Buy them in a heartbeat if they do!

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
More than 3 years on there seems to be no movement in releasing this classic series in season sets. it would be great if it could be released in non-syndication prints. Does anyone know if anything is happening with the Lone Ranger classic series please?

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Given the current state of the market I doubt it very much.

The John Hart episodes were released in Germany with English soundtrack many years ago but I'd long deleted.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Part of the problem and the reason for price spikes is Classic Media, who released the complete series, no longer exists. Why copies are disappearing and the series vanished from Hulu. It was part of DreamWorks, so I assume it now shifts under the Universal umbrella after the purchase. Same fate as Lassie, Rocky and Bullwinkle, the Fat Albert specials and others.

We can check with Universal to confirm if they do have right to distribute. If they do, well, we play a waiting game for a reissue. I frankly think any release outside of streaming at this point is unlikely. The Disney movie tanked and the audience for the show is dwindling to the point where Universal may never make any money off it. Sad, but true.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
All good points from Matt. This show still runs on cable - my DVR has all 220+ episodes recorded over the last few months. I figured I'd slowly watch it one more time before it disappears forever.

The lack of a complete unedited series release made from the original negatives is one of my disappointments of this hobby. The others being a complete Roy Rogers Show never materializing and the poor treatment of My Three Sons and various 70s CBS/P crime shows.

Any multi millionaire fans of the Lone Ranger that would be willing to finance a preservation/ restoration project the way Hef did for films he was passionate about?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Up until the 90's it was a staple locally on WMC. Championship Wrestling at 11:00AM on Saturday followed by The Lone Ranger.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks