What's new

The Lone Ranger - Collector's Edition Set (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The Fugitive was cursed from day one. Even sending them out in half season sets (which is hideous), the music issues screwed that up. I enjoy getting a series in one box, it takes away the anxiety of hoping each seaosn sells well enough to justify another season. Or waiting to see what the response is, making a siers take 7 or more years to reach full release. No thanks.

Besides, The Six Million Dollar Man, Land of the Giants, The Man From UNCLE, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers and Get Smart sets were all glitch free.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Two things tipped this into the 'must pre-order' zone for me: 1) confirmation that this was a Complete Series release, and 2) 2 of the feature films that I have fond memories of are also included.

28 discs and 221 episodes/2 movies/book/etc. for $150= Done Deal!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Darby67 said:
The Amazon.com listing now includes the following information under the "editorial reviews" section:

"28 discs contain all 5 Seasons/221 episodes of the original Lone Ranger. Discs are housed in a Coffee Table Book V 2 discs per page.Two bonus discs with two feature films, Lassie episode featuring the Lone Ranger, 1960's cartoon and an Original Radio Broadcast.Slipcase around book contains inside graphics. Book contains episode guide with synopsis for all 221 episodes. Photo reprint for the Lone Ranger Rare Lone Ranger Comic Book.Four additional memorabilia items."

http://www.amazon.com/Lone-Ranger-Collectors-Edition/dp/B00BSU0FPG

Darby
I'd love to see them release all of the 1960s cartoon version of The Lone Ranger, but here its probably just one episode.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
JoeDoakes said:
I'd love to see them release all of the 1960s cartoon version of The Lone Ranger, but here its probably just one episode.
The would be one H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) of an "Extra" if it included the entire series, but yes, it will most likely be a single episode. :unsure:

One can always hope however. :biggrin:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Regulus said:
The would be one H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) of an "Extra" if it included the entire series, but yes, it will most likely be a single episode. :unsure:

One can always hope however. :biggrin:
Perhaps they will release it separately. I am hoping.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
According to the tvshowsondvd site, this release will store the 28 discs two to a page of a book. I hate this type of packaging which frequently leads to discs that are damaged and scratched right out of the package . You return the set and then get another one with differant scratched discs.I've stopped buying Wagon Train (couln't get an undamaged season 2) and the Virginian for this reason. Any comment s on the packaging ?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
LouA said:
According to the tvshowsondvd site, this release will store the 28 discs two to a page of a book. I hate this type of packaging which frequently leads to discs that are damaged and scratched right out of the package . You return the set and then get another one with differant scratched discs.I've stopped buying Wagon Train (couln't get an undamaged season 2) and the Virginian for this reason. Any comment s on the packaging ?
I did the day the description was put up (a few posts back). Basically the packaging is a deal breaker for me and if it doesn't change I'll be cancelling my pre-order. I truly wish manufacturers would either stop with craptastic/kitschy packaging *or* offer a choice between "standard" and "special" packaging.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Those that received scratched discs in other like sets, are they actually defective(lock up, does not play) or are they just light, surface scratches.

I own all Wagon Train, and The Virginian sets that are out. I have noticed some scuffs on a few discs, but they all play just fine(of the ones I have watched).

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
Well it looks to me as if it is the previous Claasic Media set as the extras quoted appear to be the same.

I already have this + the last colour season & two feature films. It would therefore be a very hefty price just for the two
other seasons.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Silverking said:
Well it looks to me as if it is the previous Claasic Media set as the extras quoted appear to be the same.

I already have this + the last colour season & two feature films. It would therefore be a very hefty price just for the two
other seasons.
Until you mentioned that I'd not really paid too close attention. It sounds *exactly* like the bonus items in the original Classic Media set with only the addition of the 2 feature films on a 2nd bonus disk. For me it means an even lower price point before I'll pick this up as I have that earlier set and only need the last 3 seasons. It would be nice if they'd release those separately for those of us with that original set. I just cancelled my pre order.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Silverking said:

other seasons.
Good catch, Chris! Thanks for sharing that.

Gary "I'm not even interested in the 3rd season (no Clayton Moore), so this would be a huge double-dip for me" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Good catch, Chris! Thanks for sharing that.

Gary "I'm not even interested in the 3rd season (no Clayton Moore), so this would be a huge double-dip for me" O.
Same here. I'll have to think about this one.

1z2kn4x.jpg

"What do you think, Tonto? Any double-dippers out there?"

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
:lol: at that line from the Lone Ranger to Tonto, Jeff. Great stuff.

Gary "I really want S4 and the remaining part of S5 I don't own, but the price will have to drop significantly for me to bite" O.

JeffT.

Screenwriter
If I can come away with at least a good (standard) DVD release of the two feature films I will be happy.

I don't have the previous THE LONE RANGER complete season DVD sets so someone kindly enlighten me about them.

What was the quality of the source elements used? Were the individual episodes presented in their entireties?

Right now the absurd packaging and the pricing are deterents. THE LONE RANGER is tremendous to be sure but the product can (satisfactorily) speak for itself without the overwrought embellishments.

Thank you!

Jeff T.

:rolleyes:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There are frequently substantial savings to be had on most of Classic Media's DVD releases, usually sometime after the initial release, but not always (the first year the Complete Bull set was out, J&R had it for less than $20 during Christmas. The Lone Ranger Collector's set (containing seasons 1 and 2) was listed at a MSRP of about $90, but Amazon has been selling it for around $20 for over a year now. This is not a set I would preorder, but I do plan on buying it when the price is right. At any rate, I would not worry too much about the MSRP.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Bryan^H said:
Those that received scratched discs in other like sets, are they actually defective(lock up, does not play) or are they just light, surface scratches.

I own all Wagon Train, and The Virginian sets that are out. I have noticed some scuffs on a few discs, but they all play just fine(of the ones I have watched).
I had a bad experience with Wagon Train. Season One , I got several scratched discs one of which (disc 2) froze, ( I didn't get to the other discs , I returned it a was lucky with the replacement which played and I transferred to plastic cases.Wagon Train Season 2 was s disaster with discs that were jammed into very tight sleeves and with about 4 that were really scuffed up when I was able to get them out of the sleeve. I did't efen watch any of them returning it for a replacement which was just as bad . So I've lived without season 2 or any of the other seasons of Wagon Train . Lone Ranger season 1 & 2 (same packaging) was unscratched and played ok, as was Howdy Doody . I got 2 really scuffed up copies of Essential Laurel and Hardy,finally getting one that I think is ok although I haven't got through it all. On a slightly differant note , this weeek I recieved the Wes Montgomery Complete Verve sessions CD box set on Hippo Select . Similar packaging, with disc 1 right out of the box scratched and would'nt play . So I'm not a fan of this type of packaging. It's great to give fans coffee table books and other nice extras in these expensive packages , but store the discs in some fashion that will help to keep them scratch and dust free. After all we want these discs to last , so we can enjoy them for a long time to come .

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
LouA said:
After all we want these discs to last , so we can enjoy them for a long time to come .
That's right! I've been pretty lucky, except for a season 4 disc of Daniel Boone froze on me.......unfortunately, those sets are not being made any more so a replaement is impossible.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Does the one-hour color special called "The Lone Ranger Rides Again" really exist? And, if so, why wouldn't Classic Media include it on the complete series coming in June?

Here is the description of the special from Wikipedia: "A one-hour color special "The Lone Ranger Rides Again" was produced to celebrate the Jack Wrather company's acquisition of the Lone Ranger franchise. This special retells the origin story of the Lone Ranger. It aired on Feb 12th 1955 to "celebrate the 22nd anniversary" of the Lone Ranger, and again on Feb 1, 1958 for the 25th anniversary."

Darby

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks