What's new

The Living Daylights Recalled (1 Viewer)

This has been recalled in the UK and I believe the USA as well due to a problem with a Sam Neil clip on the extras.

AS a result copies have been selling for silly money on e-bay. In the UK a guy got £75 for his copy which has to be crazy. Another guy found that one ofhis local shops was still selling the disc when it should have been taken of the shelf, he made a purchase and resold it for £50 on e-bay. How much would you pay?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Apparently (though its ages since I bought mine, so I can't remember) one of the extras bits has audition footage of, among others, Sam Neill. He has complained that legal didn't contact him about it, or offer any payment for it (no contract was signed at the time for the footage to be publicly used, apparently), so its off to be snipped by lawyers. At least thats how I understand it; I might be wrong.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Ooooooooh, *hugs original issue of the DVD*.... If that's the case though, I'm surprised nothing as done about it over two years ago when the disc originally came out.

Dan

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The Living Daylights came out on DVD in R1 in October of 2000 when MGM released the third and final box set of the Bond films. Sub-titles were missing from it (along with Octopussy) which meant MGM had to quickly re-do the disc. There was a trade in by mail that you could do.
The Living Daylights went on moratorium in the US shortly after it was released, only to be re-released at a later date.
Neil

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I am really weirded out. I live in a world where the DVDs for Swamp Thing and The Living Daylights might actually be worth something one day.
:)

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I could have sworn that the Sam Neil audition was on the A View to a Kill disc, not the Living Daylights disc.

-Lyle J.P.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Right I have been looking into this issue. As many people of pointed out it is strange that the R2 box set (Limited Edition tin box) could contain the disc, while the current 'Buy One Get One Free' offer does not. Also, if the discs have been recalled for legal reasons, how can the box set had escaped recall?
Well, the answer to this is that at no time were the discs recalled by MGM. There is a legal problem with 'The Living Daylights' which MGM have admitted.
As many people have stated on this forum and others the legal problem is strongly rumored to be the inclusion of the Sam Neil screentest footage in the discs documentary.
However, the legal problem did not require MGM to recall the existing discs, it is only stopping MGM from manufacturing new discs.
Most of MGM's existing stock of Living Daylights discs were used to populate the box set, leaving very few for general release and all of which sold out quickly during the Bond relaunch.
As of now, MGM are unable to supply the shops with new discs (or box sets for that matter) until the legal problem is resolved.
I understand several e-tailers have run out of stock of the box set and are unable to source any more copies from MGM for the reasons mentioned above. If anyone wants the box set it may be an idea to purchase it now.
Should the box set be reissued in the future it may be as a higher price - it is only priced 'cheap' now because of the current BOPGOF offer on single Bond discs. Should this offer not be running during the next relaunch expect to pay more for the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks