The Littlest Groom

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Sean Cauley, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

This is a new dating-reality show from FOX, coming to us just in time for the ending of My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance. It's a Bachelor rip-off, but all the participants are little people.

Yes, that's right. Little people.

It's only two episodes, and there is a twist late in the competition similar to that of Average Joe.

Details

Am I the only one who notices that the bottom of the barrel keeps falling deeper and deeper?

2. Michael St. Clair

Too much reality programming....and of terrible quality and exploitive premise. Some of it embarasses me for my species.

Even 'must see' Thursday Night on NBC has reality TV now.

When does the other shoe drop?

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I find it increasingly hard to lump "Survivor" and "The Apprentice" together with the rest of the docu-soaps. They're first and foremost about the competition, while the others are more about the spectacle. Those two along with "The Mole" (which I against all reason hope will return one day) are head and shoulders above the rest. Especially when compared to those on Fox.

4. Sean Cauley

The thing I really dislike about the dating reality shows is the emotional mumbo-jumbo the contestants all fool themselves into believing is their reason for being there. It's not the million-dollar prize that goes along with something; it's a "journey" they take to find that special someone.

Seriously...a "journey." When it's really just two weeks in a mansion with some obnoxious dude, and the occasional helicopter ride or ski lift thrown in to switch it up.

The shows that are cash-prize competitions are a little easier to stomach, because at least there the contestants are fairly honest about why they're there. There's a lot of weird groupthink, to be sure (Big Brother is the worst for this), and people tend to draw strange lines of right and wrong that make it a horrible affront for a competitor to use his own strategy, but none of them feel they're on a "journey" to find themselves.

5. Michael St. Clair

There is still WAY too much reality TV, IMO. I'm not saying that is is all of poor quality, but there is a glut as far as I'm concerned.

I do like the (Regular, not Celebrity) Mole.

6. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

I heard the little people are suing Fox.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

I thought the females were a mix of little people and average people?

PS - This should be in the TV thread.

8. Sean Cauley

This is the TV thread. You didn't wander in the wrong door again, did you, Malcolm? That can be dangerous, if it were, say, a public restroom. [​IMG]

I think the setup is that, at the beginning, all of the eligible bachelorette pool is made up of little women, but that there is an Average Joe-like twist played on the Littlest Groom late in the game, where he is introduced to average-height women and can choose them over the little women.

I think it's that step that turns the show creepy.

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

There's a bottom?

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Hey, the restroom door said "Gentlemen"! [​IMG]

I swear this thing started in AHL :wink: