The Little Shop of Horrors and Reefer Madness: which versions to buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dan Rudolph, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'm interested in purchasing The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) and Reefer Madness on DVD. However, both seem to be public-domain titles with a zillion releases. Can anyone point me to the best release for each?

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Supplementary : I just saw the Madacy release in a store, but would like to know whether it is like, the worst?

3. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

2 easy choices for you to make:

For Little Shop of Horrors, definitely pick up the Goodtimes release, it is the best one on the market, I was surprised how nice it looks for a budget title.

As for Reefer Madness, I would pick up the Image (Something Weird) SE release which also contains Assassin of Youth & Marihuana plus plenty of extras. It's a no-brainer to buy.

4. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    The Alpha version looks somewhat better than the SWV release, although there isn't a big difference. I've seen REEFER on four different DVD labels and the only real difference is the price. That SWV release is still at $20 while you can get the Alpha version for around $5. MARIHUANA is also on Alpha for around $5.

The SWV version does contain some nice extras however.

I believe there's another version of REEFER out there as a double feature with COCAINE FIENDS (also on Alpha).