What's new

THE LITTLE MERMAID Platinum Edition: October 3rd, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
From The Digital Bits:

We've got a couple new announcements to report today.

The big one is Disney's revelation that The Little Mermaid is due to be their next classic animated title to receive Platinum Edition treatment. Look for the 2-disc set to hit stores on 10/3 (SRP $29.99). This is the first time in 7 years that the film will be available on DVD. Expect deleted scenes, audio commentaries and behind-the-scenes featurettes, along with archived art materials and musical-based features as well. Both the film and its soundtrack are being digitally restored for the release. There's no word yet on a possible Blu-ray Disc version of the film, but we consider it very possible. You can read more at this link at Home Media Retailing.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Big announcement? Wasn't this "announced" in a trailer on Cinderella months ago?

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
There are several degrees of announcement of a new dvd. Trailer, item in rumor mill, announcement, press release, if it's Crimson Tide or Enemy of the State you do these several times each followed by announcement of delay, then total news blackout for a year. Rinse, lather, repeat.....

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I wouldn't be surprised to see this outsell Bambi and Cinderella combined, that those were big successes.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I will definitely be picking this up. I remember my mom taking my sister and me to see this when it was in the theaters. One of Disney's better "modern" films. I'm not getting rid of my LE version though, just in case they modify the movie for the Platinum Edition.

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a list of all the Disney Platinum Editions? I only have The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast thus far, and was thinking about getting the others...

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
Bambi
Cinderella

Then there are others that might as well be (in my opinion):

Sleeping Beauty: Special Edition
Alice in Wonderland: Masterpiece Edition
Mary Poppins: 40th Anniverary Edition
Mulan: Special Edition
Pocahontas: 10th Anniversary Edition

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Beauty and the Beast
The Lion King
Aladdin
Bambi
Cinderella

AND
Lady and the Tramp - Feb 06
Little Mermaid - Oct 06
101 Dalmations - 2007
Jungle Book - 2007
Pinocchio - 2008
Fantasia - 2008

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm on this like white on rice.

I have been waiting years for this. Come October...It will be mine.

I wonder if they'll include the "I Love The 80s 3-D" segment on this movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

How about having some of Sherri Stoner's modeling for the title character as a special feature...Or a new interview with her, at any rate?

Lee Jamilkowski

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the list.

That was what wasn't making sense to me - that the press releases mentioned The Little Mermaid as the eighth Platinum release, but all the lists said that six had been released thus far. Now I see that Lady and the Tramp will be seven. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that Disney was only doing one Platinum release per year.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Yes! Proof that hand drawn animation HAS a market, if you don't have some dumbass "story by committee" or "story by market test" mentality. A great story with heart, backed up solidly by talented artists DOES have a place in Disney's future.

A wonderful picture I love very much, getting the DVD treatment it deserves. Oh, October CANNOT come fast enough!

Joel C

Screenwriter
Heh, I sold mine two years ago for $100. Number of times I have wanted to watch the movie in the last two years? 0. So it was worth it! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks