1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Little Mermaid Live! (ABC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Despite the feature film side having announced a live action adaptation of the animated classic, ABC is movie forward with its adaptation as a live musical event, featuring live performances of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman's Oscar-winning songs.

Richard Kraft, who produced and directed the much-talked-about Hollywood Bowl production of The Little Mermaid, will executive produce.

Auli'i Cravalho, voice of Disney's Moana, will star in the title role. Queen Latifah will play Ursula, and Shaggy will co-star as Sebastian.

Bernard McNair likes this.
  2. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    What.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Shaggy, the Jamacian reggae musician ("Boombastic," "It Wasn't Me").

4. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial
    Again I say: what.

5. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    RutRoh

DaveHof3 and B-ROLL like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I didn't get to see the Broadway version during its year-long run, so I'll be very interested to see this.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    This is what surprises me about ABC doing this now. However, there's going to be so much CGI involved in the remake that even if they shoot net year, it might not come out until 2022, so maybe they're thinking that doing this won't diminish that because, by 2022, most people will probably have forgotten about a one-off TV special from years earlier.

I saw the tour, and I have to say I hope they don't use much from the Broadway version. Some of the additional songs are nice but the book of it was absolutely terrible, including a weird subplot where Flounder had an unrequited crush on Ariel, which was gross and totally ruined the fun dynamic of their best friendship in the film. I would expect this to draw more from the Hollywood Bowl concerts where the film was overdubbed by new live singers.

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Deadline has some more information from the TCA panel about how this will all work:

Glenn Slater is the lyricist for the additional material written for the Broadway version.

More at the link: https://deadline.com/2019/08/little-mermaid-interesting-hybrid-abc-1202662158/

9. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I don’t know what to make of that. They will segue from the film to live performances of the music? That seems a little weird.

10. Garysb

Garysb Cinematographer

With the exception of the Broadway Lion King, I don't think any of the various Broadway and live action remakes of the Disney animated features comes near to being as good as the originals. The live action/CGI films make a ton of money for Disney so I am sure they will continue but that doesn't mean they are better than or improve upon the originals in my opinion.

11. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    My wife and I saw the roadshow of the Broadway production in Buffalo, and unless you are 5 and under, it is the top of our list of the stupidest thing we have ever seen. The constant shimmy the actors did to simulate being under the sea was a masterpiece of unintentioned comedy. It needed the robots from Mystery Science Theatre. We are familiar and like the movie by the way. Our daughter played her VHS copy at least 500,000 times.