What's new

The Lion King (2019) (3 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The new soundtrack is up for pre-order with a digital release date of July 11 and a physical release date of July 19.

Track listing:

1. Circle of Life/Nants' Ingonyama (Lindiwe Mkhize, African Vocals performed by Lebo M)
2. Life's Not Fair (Hans Zimmmer)
3. Rafiki's Fireflies (Hans Zimmmer)
4. I Just Can't Wait to Be King (JD McCrary, Shahadi Wright Joseph and John Oliver)
5. Elephant Graveyard (Hans Zimmmer)
6. Be Prepared (2019) (Chiwetel Ejiofor)
7. Stampede (Hans Zimmmer)
8. Scar Takes the Throne (Hans Zimmmer)
9. Hakuna Matata (Billy Eichner, Seth Rogen, JD McCrary and Donald Glover)
10. Simba Is Alive! (Hans Zimmmer)
11. The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen)
12. Can You Feel the Love Tonight (Beyoncé, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen)
13. Reflections of Mufasa (Hans Zimmmer)
14. TBA
15. Battle for Pride Rock (Hans Zimmmer)
16. Remember (Hans Zimmmer)
17. Never Too Late (Elton John, African Vocals performed by Lebo M)
18. He Lives in You (Lebo M)
19. Mbube (Lebo M)

Jon Favreau previously said they would only have new songs over the credits, and this bears that out. "Never Too Late" and "Mbute" are the only new things here. He Lives in You was originally recorded for the 1995 album "Rhythm of the Pride Lands" and appears in both the Broadway musical and the original film's sequel Simba's Pride. The tracks attributed to Hans Zimmer are obviously underscore. I assume that whatever the TBA track #14 is will probably involve Beyonce.

After being burned by Aladdin, I'm not going to pre-order this and will wait until after I see the film to decide if I want it, but pre-orders are up if you feel differently. Target will have an exclusive version featuring two "collectable character cards," but no additional music.

Also, the designation of (2019) on "Be Prepared" suggests that there might be new lyrics in that song. Aladdin also had (2019) in the track title for Arabian Nights, for which all the lyrics were entirely rewritten. I guess that would make sense since they've at least renamed two of the hyenas, but I remain skeptical as to whether that's a good idea. We'll see.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I’m really interested to hear Zimmer’s score. While I may not be a huge fan of modern day Zimmer, I really enjoy his early work (80’s, 90’s and early 00’s) and The Lion King is one my favorite scores of his. I wonder if he’s going to do something new or a copy and paste job from the original.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My wife and I got our tix with A-list for the Thursday night opening in IMAX. Looking forward to it!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Have there been any trailers yet that show the characters actually talking and having a conversation in a scene? It seems like every trailer I've seen is just the animals running around with a voice-over narration, not any of the characters talking.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Have there been any trailers yet that show the characters actually talking and having a conversation in a scene?.

Good question. A couple have had a line or two -- there's one going around Facebook which I can't find a YouTube embed for that includes Pumbaa and Timon saying one new line each to each other, and in the featurette I posted in message #144, you can see the "What's a motto?" conversation from Hakuna Matata, as well as Nala's line about seeing Simba again, and a teeny bit of the Hakuna Matata song. But there have not really been extended clips of conversations.

They definitely are trying to lean away from that in the marketing for whatever reason. I suppose because they're selling it as though it looks like a nature documentary, and obviously in a real nature documentary the animals wouldn't talk. It's photo-realism up to the point where we have to accept that these animals are speaking. I don't really get the reluctance on Disney's part though; we all know that the animals have to speak, so admitting that in the marketing shouldn't matter.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I finally worked things out so I could get my ticket tonight for the opening night show.

My local theater is starting the first show at 6pm on July 18; they are not participating in the 5pm fan event.

For the opening of Toy Story 4 last month, the 6pm show was in the Cinemark XD room, and the next showtime at 7pm was in the biggest auditorium with the largest non-XD screen. I couldn't get there by 6, so went with 7:00 and saw it on the standard screen (which is still plenty big.)

This time, once again, I can't get there before 7 so expected the same thing, which would be fine. However, interestingly enough, they've switched the programming strategy. 6pm is in the large but non-XD room, while the 7pm is in the XD room.

I also just found a reward on the Cinemark Movie Rewards website which allows you to waive the surcharge for an XD showtime. So I redeemed some of my points for that reward and was then able to purchase my ticket for the 7pm XD showtime for the same price I would have paid for the 6pm show. So that's a nice unexpected bonus.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here's a YouTube video where somebody uploaded a few of the TV spots Disney has been putting on Facebook. Disney hasn't officially uploaded them to YouTube yet, but they come from Disney's social media channels.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney released a cast photo for a movie in which none of the cast will appear physically on screen.

Lion King cast photo.jpg

Also, photos of the cast members with their CGI animal counterparts:

Simba.jpg
Nala.jpg
Scar.jpg
Timon and Pumbaa and Zazu.jpg
Sarabi.jpg
Hyenas.jpg
Simba and Nala Kids.jpg

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Has there been any discussion on the color pallet on this movie?

Looks like a lot of brown.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Beyonce is releasing a new single "Spirit" from the movie. It appears that this is the mystery TBA track #14 from the soundtrack.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/beyonc...irit-for-the-lion-king-soundtrack-1202644057/

Edit: EW says this will be "The Lion King: The Gift," apparently a separate "companion album" from the actual soundtrack. So it's not entirely clear if "Spirit" is the TBA track from the soundtrack or something else exclusively on this other album.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/07/09/the-lion-king-beyonce-album/

Edit: Variety says the single "Spirit" will appear on both Beyonce's companion album and on the official soundtrack. There are also Twitter reactions (see my post below about those) that mention Spirit specifically. So it appears that it is in the new movie, as part of the story, contrary to Jon Favreau's previous comments that there would not be a new song in the body of the film.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/beyonce-new-song-lion-king-album-spirit-nala-movie-1203263043/

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The premiere was tonight, and Twitter reactions are starting to come in. Most praise the visual effects and the voice work.

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-lion-king-early-buzz/

Also, Disney uploaded a livestream video (which is no longer live but can be played back) of the red carpet interviews and such.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Donald Glover on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night talking about the movie. This also includes a new clip of Hakuna Matata:

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The soundtrack is on Apple Music now. One annoying thing though, the Beyoncé track Spirit is not available on Apple Music under the soundtrack album. You have to go to the single version to listen to that track.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Critical response probably isn't what Disney was expecting 63% with 43 reviews counted.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Critical response probably isn't what Disney was expecting 63% with 43 reviews counted.

The reviews, even the ones who liked it, indicate that it is pretty much a beat-for-beat recreation of the original. By definition, that's not "fresh"; it's the same thing as before, only with a new coat of paint (CGI) instead of the previously hand-drawn animation. So that score really doesn't surprise me very much personally.

But it won't matter. Hypothetically, even if every single person who loves the original goes to see this version one time and decides they don't like it, that's such a huge number of people that Disney would almost definitely make money. And it's likely to be much more liked by audiences than that hypothetical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks