What's new

The Lion King (2019) (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Lion King running time is now listed as 1 hour 58 minutes, per Fandango.. That's 118 minutes, or 30 minutes longer than the 88-minute original.

So, there will have to be something in it that's not a recreation, because if it were 100% shot-for-shot it would be 88 minutes again.

Also, showtimes are displaying for the opening weekend but are greyed out. I suspect this means theaters are getting ready for tickets to go on sale next week.

The first showtimes appear to be 6:00pm on Thursday, July 18. But my theater is doing the opposite of what they are doing with Toy Story 4.

On Toy Story 4, the premium format screen (Cinemark) gets the 6:00pm start time and the first non-premium screen showtime is 7:00pm. For The Lion King, the 6:0pm showtime is in a standard auditorium and the Cinemark XD room starts it at 7:00. I'm not sure which one I will do yet, but it will probably be one or the other.

For Aladdin, I did 6:00pm in the XD room. For Toy Story, I'd love to see it in the XD room, but I can't make it to the theater until 7:00 this week so I went with that (although for Toy Story, the 7pm is still in the largest non-XD screen, so that's still pretty good.)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A new TV spot making the rounds on Twitter features Mufasa's "Look at the stars" speech intercut with Donald Glover and Beyonce singing Can You Feel the Love Tonight. Those are obviously from two hugely different parts of the movie and putting them together is a little odd, but the song sounds very nice.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/t...e-donald-glove-duet-new-the-lion-king-tv-spot

Also, oddly enough, it says "Tickets on sale now" at the end of the TV spot, which they're not yet -- showtimes are listed and still greyed out. Maybe Disney originally intended to release this spot next week. I have no idea why or how it would have gotten out early without Disney putting it out though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney uploaded an official high quality version of the TV spot featuring Can You Feel the Love Tonight. It confirms that tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Disney social media says tickets will be available beginning 6am PT.

Incidentally, tomorrow is also the 25th anniversary of the original film's wide release. (The original started in a limited release in 2 theaters on June 15 and widened on June 24.)

We can also tell they added one whole word of new dialogue for Mufasa. In the original, his line is, "Whenever you feel alone, those kings will always be there to guide you, and so will I." Now he says "Those kings will always be up there to guide you, and so will I." :laugh:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
From everything I've seen thus far, it looks to be a masterpiece in the making!

What makes you say that? (This is a serious question .) From everything I've seen thus far, it looks to be a computer-generated carbon copy of the original. I'm still going to see it, and what worked in 1994 will probably work again in 2019, but at least so far, I'm pretty skeptical that it's going to offer a new experience.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I was at the theater today and some little girl was pointing at the poster and said that this is the new version with real animals. I sure hope people don't think they actually have real animals in this movie.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
some little girl

I think there's your answer right there. Kids who don't know how movies are made probably wouldn't know the difference between photo-realistic CGI intended to look as close to live-action as possible and actual live animals. I don't think I would have comprehended that distinction if this were coming out when I was a kid. Adults who are more aware probably know better.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
What makes you say that? (This is a serious question .) From everything I've seen thus far, it looks to be a computer-generated carbon copy of the original. I'm still going to see it, and what worked in 1994 will probably work again in 2019, but at least so far, I'm pretty skeptical that it's going to offer a new experience.

I can see where you might feel that way, @Jake Lipson, especially after being somewhat disappointed by Aladdin. But I think the fact that Jon Favreau is directing it, that he already had a huge hit in this type of genre with The Jungle Book remake, and that the voice cast includes the likes of Donald Glover, Seth Rogen, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Alfre Woodard, Billy Eichner, John Kani, John Oliver, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter, and James Earl Jones reprising his original role as Mufasa, I just think it's going to be a huge success.

I'm also very impressed at the animation and music I've seen and heard thus far. I guess it just feels to me like this summer has been Disney's summer at the box office and the hits will keep on coming! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I just think it's going to be a huge success.

Now you're changing the metric you're talking about because now you're talking about money. I agree that it will be a huge success financially, but that alone doesn't make it a "masterpiece." Its artistic value would make it a masterpiece, or not, depending on how it is executed.

I care about the original too much not to see it -- I want to know what they've done to it -- but so far, the messaging from the marketing has been "This is exactly what you remember, but in CGI." I want to like it -- I want it to be good -- but at this point I'm still skeptical. I think that since they were going to do it regardless, Favreau is the guy to do it; I'd rather have him doing it than anybody else, and there is no question that he will make (or, really, has made, since I'm sure it's done by now) a technically polished motion picture. But, to a greater degree than the other remakes they have done, I still question its creative reason to exist.

But I'm going to pay for it anyway, so Disney doesn't care whether I think it's creatively necessary or not.

On another note, here is a very bizarre Dolby Cinema poster:

Lion King Dolby.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is odd...

Well, we agree on that at least.

Also, the rating is in and it's PG.

"Rated PG for sequences of violence and peril, and some thematic elements. "

:laugh:

Everything in that description also applies to the original and it was rated G. This proves the inconsistency and randomness of the ratings board.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
Hmmm...yeah, I wonder what the difference between the two is. Twenty-five years of movie ratings experience? Who knows?

Also, I guess my "masterpiece" comment comes from the fact that this type of remake has never been done before: Full CGI characters in what appears to be a photo-realistic world. This was attempted to a certain extent with The Jungle Book remake, but had Neel Sethi as Mowgli acting alongside the CGI characters. In my mind, if Favreau's finished film is as amazing as what we've seen in the trailers, it will be a 'masterpiece,' regardless of what its box-office may end up being.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
f Favreau's finished film is as amazing as what we've seen in the trailers, it will be a 'masterpiece,'

So by your metric there, the technology itself makes it a masterpiece even if the storytelling is entirely derived from the original film?

On another note, my AMC IMAX is listing opening weekend showtimes in 2D at 9:30am, 12:30pm, and 6:30pm, plus IMAX 3D showtimes at 3:30pm, 9:30pm and 12:30am. (!) I'm really surprised to see them staying open to do a 12:30am screening, particularly of a family film, but at least there will be plenty of support for those wanting to see this in IMAX in both formats.

Last edited:

holtge

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gordon Holt
So by your metric there, the technology itself makes it a masterpiece even if the storytelling is entirely derived from the original film?

Perhaps. Yes, I realize that this version appears to be lifted directly from the source material----as it should be, but I'm sure there will be enough differences between it and the original 1994 animated release that it can be classified as a 'masterpiece' on its own. I get where you are coming from, but remember, I really enjoyed the new take on Aladdin where you didn't really care for it. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree until we see the finished product. :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree until we see the finished product. :)

Fine by me. And for the record I am by no means going in set against this -- if it's great, it's great, and I'll be happy that it's great. The new Beauty and the Beast was great, and so were the remakes of The Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon. This one just has to earn it, the same way as those I just mentioned did and Aladdin (for me) did not.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
2 hours!? I just don’t understand why they feel the need to push all these remakes to the 2 hour mark? Did the industry not learn anything from The Hobbit; just because you can make a movie longer doesn’t mean you should.

Anyway, still going and I just hope they don’t butcher the music like they did to Aladdin.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
2 hours!? I just don’t understand why they feel the need to push all these remakes to the 2 hour mark? Did the industry not learn anything from The Hobbit; just because you can make a movie longer doesn’t mean you should.

Anyway, still going and I just hope they don’t butcher the music like they did to Aladdin.

That's with credits. Chop off, what, five to seven minutes for credits?

If it's well made, it won't matter if the movie is 2 hours or not.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

The Hobbit was almost THREE hours long, and the extended edition was just over that mark. A far cry from 2 hours, which seems to be the standard length for most modern commercial films. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks