1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Message #101 of 288 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yeah, I know, but the reason I'm curious about this one in particular is because they haven't actually shown us anything yet that looks new. It could be that they're saving all the new parts for the actual movie, but so far, to a greater extent than the other remakes, the trailer messaging has been "Oh look, it's exactly what you remember! It just looks more photorealistic now!" When the running time is announced, we'll have a basis for guessing how much new stuff there is.

2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    If you think money didn't matter to Walt or Roy, you're deluding yourself.

Tino, Josh Steinberg and Jake Lipson like this.
  3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Yeah. Money mattered so much to Walt that his company was always near bankruptcy from pouring the proceeds of of one film into his next one, with Roy scrambling to find financing to keep him in business.

And do you see all of the sequels to Snow White, Pinocchio, Bambi and Lady and The Tramp that Walt made? Amazing. How about all of the live-action remakes of his animated films that he did because the idea was so good he decided he wanted to do the whole thing over again?

You can tell. Walt really cared about money just like Bob Iger does.

Walt Disney only started caring about money when he stopped being a film maker and became the modern equivalent of Barnum and Bailey.

benbess likes this.
  4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  5. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    And you do understand that Walt was an innovator and a great storyteller, but he didn't have any new story ideas, right?

He took those ideas from fairy tales and made them into movies. Snow White was written by the Brothers Grimm. Dumbo was based on an existing story. Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella...all based on existing material. All he was doing was remaking them.

There is no Snow White sequel. There is no Pinocchio sequel.

Bambi II was released in 2006; Iger became CEO in 2005. Pretty good chance that movie was in production before Iger took over. Lady and the Tramp II was made in 2001 before Iger became CEO.

Josh Steinberg and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Iger is the boogeyman for some people. Truth be told, Iger isn't some creative person like Walt Disney, he's a business guy like Roy Disney was back in the day.

Tino, Josh Steinberg and benbess like this.
  7. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Right, and as a businessman, Iger is probably the best chairman Disney's ever had. He's expanded the company more than anyone thought possible, spent billions to make tens of billions, and the new streaming service he's overseen is set to be a disruptive presence when it starts.

8. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s not a given that any company, particularly a movie studio, will last. I think what Iger has accomplished is remarkable. In an era where major studios are disappearing - MGM exists in name only, I’m hoping against hope that Paramount can recover, etc - to keep a 100 year old studio not only running but thriving and evolving with the times, that’s quite an achievement. To me, that’s a better fate than the one that befell MGM.

benbess and Jake Lipson like this.
  9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Disney probably would have gone under in 2009 if Eisner was still in control, if not sooner.

10. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Yes, but the sad thing is it is surviving by eating its own tail. I guess I'm in the minority in not thinking that Bob Iger is the greatest thing to happen to Disney because he makes money by strip mining old Disney content. Apparently, the only thing that matters is that he makes money.

11. Message #111 of 288 May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yes, we differ on Iger and I don't accept your concept that Disney is surviving by eating its own tail. I can understand you being against all of these massive corporations that are swallowing other companies, but don't kid yourself that making money isn't what drove most of these business CEOs including the ones of yesteryear. Sure, some of them were driven by other motivations such as innovation, creativity and making the world a better place, but in the end, it does come down to making profits to achieve even those goals.

TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Bob Iger doesn’t own Disney. He’s an employee. It’s his job to run the company in a financially responsible way. That’s what he’s doing.

Tino, Jake Lipson and Robert Crawford like this.
  13. Message #113 of 288 Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Yes, but....

"Three-quarters of Disneyland employees can’t afford basic living expenses: survey"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-disney-employee-wages-20180301-story.html

"Abigail Disney Scorches Wage Inequality at Disney: “Reward All of Your Workers Fairly”
    The activist and filmmaker has a lot more to say about the practices of her great-uncle Walt’s company."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/04/abigail-disney-op-ed-wage-inequality

Anyway, let's get back to The Lion King!

As we know, one of the films that paved the way for this new edition of The Lion King was Disney's 2016 remake of The Jungle Book, which was also directed by Jon Favreau. I thought the new Jungle Book was surprisingly amusing and emotionally involving—although my memory of it just three years later is already a bit vague, and so I should see it again.

But perhaps more to the point, the version Andy Serkis directed, called Mowgli, did not work nearly as well for me, because imho the CGI wasn't as good, and also the more violent and "realistic" take on the story did not make it much of fun ride. Finally, the pacing of the Serkis version at times seemed slow.

The bottom line is that I think Disney has figured out how to make these kinds of movies, while other studios are grasping at straws. Books that are now in the public domain like The Jungle Book are fair game for everyone, just like the fairy tales that are even older, but only Disney has seemingly cracked their "genetic code," and equally important only Disney has the family-friendly brand image to sell these in a way that makes box office gold:

The Jungle Book (2016)
    Domestic Total Gross: $364,001,123
    Distributor: Buena Vista Release Date: April 15, 2016
    Genre: Adventure Runtime: 1 hrs. 45 min.
    MPAA Rating: PG Production Budget: $175 million
    Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $364,001,123 37.7%
    + Foreign: $602,549,477 62.3%
    = Worldwide: $966,550,600

In contrast, Mowgli, which was planned as a theatrical movie, went direct to home video via Netflix.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  14. Message #114 of 288 Jun 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think the presence and success of Disney's version had a lot to do with that. Because Disney got there first, the Serkis film would have been seen as an also-ran in the theatrical market, like, "Didn't we just have this?" You're still comparing them even though it did go to Netflix. That would've been way worse if people had been asked to shell out theatrical ticket prices to see it.

Also, of course, only Disney can use elements of their original films in the remakes i.e. (in the case of The Jungle Book) The Bare Necessities and other iconography that is unique to their version, which people know and expect because the original Disney animated film was so successful. Somebody else can make a live-action Little Mermaid remake based on the Hans Christian Anderson story that is in the public domain -- I think there was one last year -- but only Disney can use Under the Sea and Kiss the Girl and all of those ace songs they have. So that gives them a distinct advantage over any would-be competitors.

benbess likes this.
  15. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben

Yes, this is key—the Disney versions of classic stories have songs and story elements that are not in the originals. But the Disney versions become so popular that they almost retroactively erase the originals in our minds most of the time. I mean, who has read the original Collodi novel of Pinocchio—where the title character cruelly kills the cricket right at the start! Or, even if you have read it, which one do you prefer. For me, the Disney versions, like the 1939 Wizard of Oz, are examples where the movie is often better than the original story/novel.

As you say, there was a live action version of the Little Mermaid made just last year, but I just checked and the imdb rating on it is 4.2, with many of the reviews comparing it unfavorably to the Disney animated classic.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  16. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

The respect for Iger's reign brought this song to mind for some reason. It applies to personal relationships but could be made to apply to any relationship.

I'm waiting for the day when his mining operations and buying sprees suddenly don't look like as good a value as they do now. Like the song states everything "good" ends.

17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    benbess likes this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    A new TV spot with the first audio of Beyonce as Nala, Billy Eitchner as Timon and Seth Rogen as Pumbaa:

20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I felt it was appropriate to bump this thread today to acknowledge today as the 25th anniversary of the theatrical release of The Lion King.

According to Box Office Mojo, it opened in 2 theaters on June 15, 1994 before widening on June 24.

Happy anniversary to the one and only original.

Lion King.

25 years later, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We have 33 days until the remake arrives on Thursday, July 18.