1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lion King (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Nope. While I understand the sentiment and agree that Jeremy Irons was absolutely sensational in that role, Scar is now Chiwetel Ejiofor.

We're already talking about this movie basically appearing to be a shot-for-shot recreation of the original in CGI. If they start bringing back voice talent to redo exactly what they did before, then this becomes an even more pointless exercise than it is already at significant risk of being. James Earl Jones is so incredibly distinctive that I can understand the choice to bring him back, but if Irons comes back, then you'd have people saying, "Well, why not [fill in the blank]?" until every living actor in the original cast was back. At least the use of new voice talent will give us new interpretations of the roles.

2. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I saw the trailer for this in front of "Captain Marvel" tonight. What a waste of 1's and 0's. The whole thing is nothing but a lazy shot-for-shot waste of money and digital resources. I watched the first two shots and the only thing I could think of was "Why bother?"

The only thing they managed to do is plagiarize the superior work of the original animators. It came across like a parody. I would have been embarrassed to put my name on something so worthless if I was a director. It is "Alan Smithee" quality work AFAIAC.

Iger is the worst. He makes Michael Eisner look like a patron of the Arts.

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think it looks fine. It seems uninspired, sure, but the craftsmanship is certainly very high. If Disney is going to do something to milk their old properties, I would much rather have this than another cheap direct-to-video knockoff like they were doing in the '90s and early 2000s. (That being said, The Lion King sequels were in the upper crust of that class, for sure, but you see my point.) At least this one is being given an actual budget they can work with and it can't be accused of being cheap.

4. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I'm not judging it by its looks. I am, however, judging it based on its need to exist when the only thing it brings to the game is photo-realistic animals. It certainly isn't cheap in its visual quality. IMO, what makes it "cheap" is that it is nothing more than a knock off, no matter how good it looks. It is like the "live action" equivalent of taking an older work and drawing over top of it like Disney did when they made "Robin Hood", except for that film they at least managed a semblance of originality with the story and characters. The same cannot be said for "The Lion King".

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I think we just disagree here, again.

I will agree that if it is a shot-for-shot remake, its creative need to exist is questionable at best. I'll even agree that most of what they've shown us looks that way so far.

However, I will continue to hold out some hope that there are some surprises in it that won't be shot-for-shot until I actually see the movie. I will say that I am concerned with how much of it looks the same -- but they could always be saving the new stuff for the actual movie.

And I also think that -- if Disney was going to find another way of doing a cash-grab based on their old properties -- a remake that looks nice is less bothersome to me than a direct-to-video sequel that was made as quickly and cheaply as possible without regard to quality.

That doesn't mean either needs to happen, but if something was going to happen, Disney could have done a lot worse than this. Hell, The Lion Guard on Disney Channel is a lot worse than this.

6. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

I haven't seen "The Lion Guard". From what I could tell it was Disney's cynical attempt to cash in on the popularity of "MLP: Friendship is Magic" that was occurring at the time. Frankly, to me, what amounts to "painting" over an older previous work is "Lion Guard" quality work.
    Maybe there will be something new in it but the trailer out now certainly indicates that that isn't the case.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    You don't want to. The pilot invents a story about how Scar had a magic super-powered roar which gave him powers that he used to kill a bunch of other lions. Even though, you know, if he had such a thing, he could have just used it to kill Mufasa and Simba and saved himself the trouble of, basically, the whole movie. Then Simba's son inherits the magic roar and uses it to help protect the Pride Lands. Even though SImba's son isn't in-canon, and it basically disregards Simba's Pride, even though Kiara is in it.

There was another episode in which the hyenas consult Scar's ghost. The character who finds out how to accomplish this for them simply asks, "If Simba can talk to Mufasa, could somebody talk to, say, Scar?", and that doesn't raise any alarm bells at all. In the Pride Lands, Scar is the equivilant of a terrorist, so, you know, asking if you could talk to him from beyond the grave should strike our central characters as odd. I only tuned in for this episode because David Oyelowo was voicing Scar, and I suspected Disney might be using the show as a de-facto audition for the role of Scar in the remake. (This was before Chiwetel Ejiofor was cast in the role.) Although I don't like what The Lion Guard did with Scar, I actually thought Oyelowo did a great job voicing him, and he sang a song too. I was kind of surprised when they didn't go with him for the remake, although I like Ejiofor too and am looking forward to his take on the character.

8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson

9. Message #89 of 288 Apr 12, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    As we know, ten years ago Disney transitioned to its "all tentpole all the time" strategy. Given that, they are going to exploit every IP they have to create ten or so event movies a year. If Superman/Batman/Spiderman get reinvented and rebooted every decade or so, then I can accept that after 25 years The Lion King would get rebooted as well.

I have had superhero fatigue for many years, and so for me it is somewhat refreshing that any mega-budget movie is something else. Anything else. I'm ready. In fact, I'm looking forward to it.

However, I'm still sad that Disney killed traditional animation. I think they should have kept it in the mix, and I hope someday that they bring traditional animation back.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  10. Message #90 of 288 Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Lebo M., who sang the opening Swahili chant in Circle of Life and and also worked on other music for the 1994 film and Broadway musical), is apparently and unsurprisingly back for the remake too.

Don Hahn (the producer of the animated film, who is also working on the remake) just posted a photo of Lebo M. and Jon Favreau on his Facebook page. He wrote, "The amazing Lebo M. and Jon Favreau! It's music time on The Lion King!!" They must be recording the score now or something.

11. Message #91 of 288 Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The Lion King is the cover story of Entertainment Weekly's Summer Movie Preview issue:

Lion King EW cover.

The article is extremely detailed about the virtual reality production process: https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/25/the-lion-king-cover-story/

Also, there was a rumor some pages ago that Be Prepared was being cut out of the new film. Not so; the article specifically mentions that it's still in.

benbess likes this.
  12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Seth Rogen was on The Late Late Show to promote Long Shot, but The Lion King came up briefly. Here's the clip:

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yay for tie-ins!

James Earl Jones, Hans Zimmer and Jon Favreau are among the list of honorees being named Disney Legends at this year's D23 Expo in August. Coincidentally or not, this will happen about six weeks or so after the theatrical release of the new Lion King.

I'm kind of surprised James Earl Jones, in particular, hasn't already been given this designation. They named Whoopi Goldberg a Disney Legend at the last D23 Expo in 2017.

https://d23.com/2019-disney-legends/

14. Message #94 of 288 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    50 days until July 19 (or 49 days until Thursday previews on July 18), so Disney social media uploaded a bunch of new character posters this morning. And there's a new TV spot.

Adult Simba. Adult Nala. Mufasa. Scar. Timon. Pumbaa. Young Simba. Young Nala. Sarabi. Rafiki. Zazu.

Also, Slashfilm has a good interview with Jon Favreau:

https://www.slashfilm.com/jon-favreau-interview-the-lion-king/

Let me reiterate that Aladdin just opened a week ago and Disney has another one of these remakes in 49 days.

Personally, I'm still not feeling it because these characters don't look expressive -- oh wait -- they're not supposed to. But also, the lions look so similar to each other that it might be difficult to tell them apart in the movie if not for the voices being distinct.

I'm sure I will see it, probably opening night, but at this point I feel more like I need to see it because I want to know what they've done to it, rather than because I am actually excited to see a new version of this. Of course, it doesn't really matter that much since Disney is going to get my money either way.

I hope the movie itself will prove more exciting than the marketing thus far has been.

benbess likes this.
  15. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    I'm wary of the "uncanny valley" effect here. But I'm definitely planning to see it, and probably opening night. Again, truly epic movies that aren't superhero movies don't happen all that frequently. Although this remake craze by Disney certainly seems to show the challenges Disney is having in telling all-new stories, I'm definitely going along for the ride with almost all of them. I missed the live action Cinderella, which may have been the start of this craze, but maybe I should go back and try to watch it.

16. Message #96 of 288 May 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Actually, this current remake kick started with Alice in Wonderland making a billion dollars in 2010 back when that was still pretty rare. Cinderella was five years later.

I'm having a hard time giving Disney credit for making an epic movie that isn't a superhero movie, because they're just doing what they already did 25 years ago over again. Nothing in that interview I posted in my previous post has given me any expectation that we're really going to see something all that new.

On whether there will be a new song:
    and

This seems inconsistent to me. If they are NOT adding songs to the body of the film, then adult Nala's only song is a portion of Can You Feel the Love Tonight?, which is certainly not "half of that role.

It also feels like adding a new song is one very clear way to distinguish your movie as opposed to the original and add something different. But I guess they're not doing that.

This seems ridiculous to me. If it can be mistaken for shot-for-shot, it probably is not going to be all that different, even if some of the animals are being positioned in a different order or something.

I already posted the link in my last post, but here it is again for the whole thing. There's a lot more: https://www.slashfilm.com/jon-favreau-interview-the-lion-king/

17. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    All they're doing-and by extension all every other studio is doing-is giving the audience what the audience wants. If the audience stops showing up for a certain kind of film or TV show, it will stop being made. That has not happened, aside from the soft BO of Dumbo. This really isn't rocket science. When something new comes into the marketplace, the audience doesn't give it a chance. So what does a studio do? Go back to what does work and sprinkle in some new stuff here and there. Therefore, if something new bombs, there's enough BO to take the sting out of the financial loss.

Josh Steinberg and Jake Lipson like this.
  18. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Disney has no need to tell new stories as long as you guys are willing to go and.pay to see these things. If people keep going then Iger will keep making them as he is not concerned about being challenged when it comes to film making. Money is all that matters to him. He is no Walt Disney.

19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I'm really curious what the running time on the movie is. Since we know from the TV spot that came out today that the film hasn't been rated yet, and a running time hasn't been announced, they're probably still working on it.

The running time of the original film is 88 minutes including credits. If this is basically the same thing, a running time of 88-90something minutes will tell us that not much has been added. If it is substantially longer (like, say, the 2 hours 8 minutes that Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin's remakes ran) then they will have to add something to fill that out.

Lately, Disney has established a pattern of opening their most recent big film to open and then, as soon as it's out there, immediately started advance ticket sales for the next one the following week. Avengers tickets went on sale on April 2, following the March 29 opening for Dumbo. Aladdin tickets went on sale April 29, the Monday after Endgame opened; Toy Story 4 tickets went on sale this week on Tuesday, following the four-day opening of Aladdin. Therefore, I strongly suspect Disney will launch ticket sales for The Lion King on or about June 24 following the release of Toy Story 4. We should have an official confirmed running time by then, if not sooner, because the theaters will need to know how long it is in order to program their showtimes.

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Most all of these remakes seem to be at least 20-30 minutes longer than the animated originals. Dumbo was almost double length.

Jake Lipson likes this.