What's new

International The Lion in Winter (1 Viewer)

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I see that the new hopefully restored version is up for preorder on Amazon UK. It will be released in September.

They also show a currently available version from Cinema Classics from, I presume,Germany.

The big question is whether it will have a stereo track. I can't recall it in stereo when it was shown in London when originally released at the Odeon Haymarket or again in D-150 at the Odeon Marble Arch in the 70's.

However I am assured that it was shown here in Australia in 70mm stereo so hopefully that track will surface from somewhere.

Certainly for me and I suspect many, it is one of the very best scores from John Barry which cries out for a proper stereo track.

Does anyone have the Cinema Classics release?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I saw this twice in 70mm in London and Bradford and it was Mono same as Shalako and Bridge on the River Kwai 70mm prints.

Shame because John Barrys score would have been so much better in full 6 Track Stereo.

John , What did the picture look like in D-150.

Derek.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
DP 70 said:
I saw this twice in 70mm in London and Bradford and it was Mono same as Shalako and Bridge on the River Kwai 70mm prints.

Shame because John Barrys score would have been so much better in full 6 Track Stereo.

John , What did the picture look like in D-150.

Derek.
From memory, very good for 35mm, Derek. Funny but I can't recall the sound so it probably was mono

Similarly have a blank about the sound for the 70mm release of Zulu which apparently was also mono.

Poor John Barry.

Twice unlucky!!

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Is it true that these days, Embassy/Avco-Embassy titles now suffer from Avengers season five syndrome, due to being owned by StudioCanal?

What I mean is, the speed is correct, but the pitch is wrong, and is an octave higher. I noticed this with the current 23.976 versions of The Graduate.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Is it true that these days, Embassy/Avco-Embassy titles now suffer from Avengers season five syndrome, due to being owned by StudioCanal?

What I mean is, the speed is correct, but the pitch is wrong, and is an octave higher. I noticed this with the current 23.976 versions of The Graduate.
Hopefully not if the new(1968) Far from the madding crowd BD is to judge. Bad labelling as to the sound and 2 track stereo if we are very lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks