What's new

Pre-Order The Lion In The Winter 50th Anniversary (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91Yd2yBBIyL._SX522_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If Kino has fixed the horrible, tinny sound of the European Studio Canal Blu-ray, but kept its excellent PQ, I'm all-in. Love this film.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If Kino has fixed the horrible, tinny sound of the European Studio Canal Blu-ray, but kept its excellent PQ, I'm all-in. Love this film.

I hope whoever reviews this disc deals with that issue fully.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
With 5.1 sound, I truly hoping that the sound finally matches the great PQ of the UK release that has horrible sound .

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
With 5.1 sound, I truly hoping that the sound finally matches the great PQ of the UK release that has horrible sound .

I believe the question remains whether The Lion in Winter was a stereo movie. I saw it Roadshow in NYC in mono with an Intermission.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I believe the question remains whether The Lion in Winter was a stereo movie. I saw it Roadshow in NYC in mono with an Intermission.

This was a monaural release in 1968, but the score could be spread out via a 5.1 remix using the original John Barry stems, unless I am completely ignorant (which is, of course, possible). This is an awesome score, and would absolutely benefit from such a remix.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have seen an original 70mm print a few times in the UK and it had a mono track as well, sad because
of the great John Barry soundtrack.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Excellent PQ?
This film doesn't seem like a 4K restoration.
It has been degrained.
What's the point of making 4K restorations if they damage them afterwards?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Which disc did you watch? Kino's disc is not due out until the middle of March.

I believe Konstantinos was originally responding to the following post ...

Dick said:

I suppose we should all remember that Kino has an educators' program. This film (along with a few others eg The Agony & the Ecstasy& A Man for All Seasons) was required (literally we had to buy tickets to a series of films that were run via 16mm projection in a Science Lecture Hall) viewing for my University Liberal Studies History class ... anything would probably be better than the DVD or a beat-up print that probably smells like cheap Italian dressing by now ....Assuming they even play analogue films in schools these days ...

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Which disc did you watch? Kino's disc is not due out until the middle of March.

UK one. I don't live in USA. I live in Greece.

And yes, as B-ROLL said I was responding to that post.
I hope Kino would be better, but I fear they will have the same transfer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this disc this afternoon. Wonderful video quality with crisp images and excellent color. Black levels not always at their inkiest, but overall it looked terrific. Sound was problematic for me. The mono track was rather humdrum, but it was more consistent than the 5.1 mix that had irritating and inconsistent phasing problems and volume levels for the dialogue.

Still, I'm glad to have this in my collection. It's such a brilliant movie.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I watched this disc this afternoon. Wonderful video quality with crisp images and excellent color. Black levels not always at their inkiest, but overall it looked terrific. Sound was problematic for me. The mono track was rather humdrum, but it was more consistent than the 5.1 mix that had irritating and inconsistent phasing problems and volume levels for the dialogue.

Still, I'm glad to have this in my collection. It's such a brilliant movie.

I had the same reaction to the sound. Sometimes even inconsistent within one line of dialogue. Disappointing. But still glad to have the blu-ray.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sound was problematic for me. The mono track was rather humdrum, but it was more consistent than the 5.1 mix that had irritating and inconsistent phasing problems and volume levels for the dialogue

The absolute worst in this matter is my blu ray of The Road Warrior. The music and sound effects blast you out of your seat but the dialog volume is so low that it's practically unintelligible. If you crank the sound up to hear the dialog, then music and sound effects shatter your ear drums. It makes the movie practically unwatchable. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks