The Limey

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip Verdieck, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit

I have just finished seeing The Limey for the second time. Actually the first time, because previously I passed out in the middle and didn't remember any of it.
    Anyways, this was a purchase made off of the endorsements of the fellow denizens of this site. Similar to a number of other DVD purchases I have made.
    I am quite happy with it. Unlike any other description I believe you will see of this movie, I would label it a Modern Tragedy, actually a classic Greek Tragedy. Anything else seems like a simplistic common label applied in an attempt to categorize it amongst the standard obvious genres of current cinema.
    I am curious how they did the shots of young Wilson. The grainy black and white flashbacks could hide makeup and wigs of the current actor, but can't believe they could make all the various lines and wrinkles in the face disappear like that...

2. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

3. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Just have to throw in that I really liked this flick and think it's one of Soderbergh's most overlooked films.

-EJ

4. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

The commentary on the DVD is very enlightening as well. I remember Soderbergh mentioning something to the effect that without Terrance Stamp and without the rights to Poor Cow for flashbacks, he would have never made The Limey.
    The two parts that stick out in my mind is his entrance(s) into the rich guy's party and the visit to that loading dock where the camera stays outside. One of my favorite Soderbergh flicks - why haven't I bought it yet?
    Great stuff. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Philip Verdieck

Well you can tell I didn't listen to the commentary track.

It did occur to me that maybe it was from an older film, but I forgot to mention that...

6. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

One of my favorite DVDs! I love the way the story is told with the disjointed narrative where you are not sure in any given scene what happened first.

Did that make sense?

7. MartinTeller

MartinTeller Screenwriter

Listen to the commentaries on The Limey! Both are fascinating.

8. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

9. Philip Verdieck

I think all those scenes are him reflecting on the way back.

10. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

An excellant film as far as I'm concerned also. I totally agree with Eric's comment about it being one of Soderbergh's most over-looked films. I thought Artisan's decision to include a comparison between 16:9 and 4:3 was an inspired choice. The 60's Docu-commentary track was also very interesting. It almost made me wish that I grew up in the 60's!:b