1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Lighthouse (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Reggie W, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    [​IMG]
    Title: The Lighthouse

Tagline: Bad luck to kill a Seabird...

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Horror

Director: Robert Eggers

Cast: Robert Pattinson, Willem Dafoe, Valeriia Karaman

Release Date:

Runtime: 110

Plot: The story of two lighthouse keepers on a remote and mysterious New England island in the 1890s.

2. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Eggers Lighthouse.

nara, PMF, TravisR and 1 other person like this.
  3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    This looks amazing...

TravisR, Reggie W, PMF and 1 other person like this.
  4. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Yes, the word on it is it is likely to get a bunch of nominations for acting, directing, writing and the photography. I'm excited to see it, people have been saying it is brilliant.

dpippel and TravisR like this.
  5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    When is the release date? Apparently not May 19. ;)

6. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think they have it slated for fall, November I believe. I think they moved it there because they believe it will be an awards contender.

7. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It is black and white and shot in Academy ratio so...hopefully that does not bother people.

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Didn’t hurt The Artist.

Reggie W and dpippel like this.
  9. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    And The Artist was silent as well. Personally, I think the decision to shoot this period film in Academy ratio + black and white is a huge plus. If the trailer is a reliable indicator, it will *look* fabulous.

Reggie W, Adam Lenhardt and Tino like this.
  10. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Opening October 18.

11. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Fingers crossed that those of us outside of New York City and Los Angeles get to see it by January.

12. dpippel

Supporter

Doug
    :laugh:

13. Message #13 of 30 Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think what happened was once this was getting early and festival screenings they caught on that they may have an "awards" film on their hands so they pushed the date back to fall. I am guessing they just thought what they had was a small cult film from the guy that made The Witch. You know a little black and white horror picture with not much appeal. Then the early reviewers started talking about how Dafoe and Pattinson could be nominated and how the writing and photography were brilliant and they thought "Oh, let's push this back to October-November where it will be positioned to get those nominations!"

I mean I don't know if that is exactly what happened but when I first heard about this picture it was supposed to be a summer release and it was finished and could have been but they held it. I am guessing due to the great reviews.

TravisR likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I'd imagine that's how it went. And if it's going to help a small movie make more money in today's endless stream of franchises than I'd rather wait and have it pushed back a few months.

Tino likes this.
  15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    EW Review - Grade B+

Sounds fabulous. :emoji_toilet: Like a B&W episode of Family Guy.

https://ew.com/movie-reviews/2019/10/17/the-lighthouse-review/

Reggie W likes this.
  16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    It's true the first bit of human communication in the film is a fart...in an attempt to establish dominance in the situation.

17. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    When they asked Dafoe how he did it, he put his fists on his hips, raised his chin and proclaimed in a loud steady voice "Acting!"

ChristopherG likes this.
  18. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Thursday night, 7 pm. I don't love Pattinson, but what the heck...why not. I need a good "scary" movie for Halloween.

Reggie W likes this.
  19. JoeStemme

JoeStemme Extra

Joseph
    Like his previous THE WITCH, Robert Eggers' THE LIGHTHOUSE is a period horror fantasy (here, the late 1800s). Again, dark forces lurk in the background while a battle of psychological wills grabs the foreground. The film stars Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson. And, that's the full cast list (save for a few non-speaking roles). Dafoe is Thomas Wake, a grizzled lighthouse keeper on a remote island off of New England. Pattinson is Ephraim Winslow, a newcomer to the trade. The pair are sent to the island for a one month stay alone together before the next relief ship is to arrive.
    Eggers' script (with brother Max) is an atmospheric chamber piece. The pair locked together both physically and mentally. Alone on isle, they eat, drink (lots!), sing, dance and share stories. But, mostly, they bicker. As the boss, Wake enforces his will on the younger man, pushing him to and beyond his physical limits, while all the while jealously guarding control of the lighthouse beacon. It isn't long before the combination of physical and psychological tolls causes Winslow to see and hear horrific visions and manifestations. The never-ending crash of the sea, the squawk of seagulls and the whipping wind provide the agonizing soundtrack to his fragile mind (if only Eggers trusted the symphony of natural sounds and didn't overuse the loud Mark Korven score). The movie was shot in a very rare and boxy 1:19 aspect ratio, hightening the claustrophobic feel.
    As with THE WITCH, Eggers' ending is a bit unsatisfying if consistent to the rest of the tale. The acting is what keeps the film tense even through some repetitive stretches (it could have make a fine creepy short story). Dafoe is commanding through and through, and Pattinson, for the most part, keeps up (even if his accent doesn't' always). THE LIGHTHOUSE is a dark finely acted mood piece, but one is left wishing it were a bit more.

benbess and dpippel like this.
  20. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    I admire the craft, the concept and the acting (both Dafoe and Pattinson). It's also rare a movie makes me jump on YouTube on the way home to figure out what I just watched, but that's exactly what I did on the way home. Without understanding the underlying meaning, The Lighthouse is a tight little psychological thriller with spurts of action and violence, complete with a WTF ending. Understanding the symbolism likely makes the experience 100 times more enjoyable.

This isn't a conventional horror film, or really all that scary. There is a "jump" moment or two, but the central conflict is these two men jockeying for power. There are laugh lines and moments to lighten the mood. The Lighthouse isn't for everyone because it demands you pay attention and keep asking questions til the very end of the movie. It certainly doesn't explain itself in any way: it presents these events as "hey, this happened" without any larger context or satisfying conclusion.

The set design is phenomenal between the exterior of the lighthouse and the detail on the interiors. It feels like a real place, in a real time with a real story that we're just watching documentary-style. There's a sense of grime and filth captured in every shot, a sense of claustrophobia even outside the lighthouse.

I wouldn't be upset at all to see both Dafoe and Pattinson get Oscar nominations; this also makes me feel a lot better about Pattinson's role in the upcoming The Batman. But this is a movie for everyone. Black and white, two speaking parts, man vs. man and man vs. self themes and not easy to understand. But it's ultimately worth it if you know what you're getting into.