What's new

The Life & Times of Grizzly Adams (1 Viewer)

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Rob FM,

I really didn't think a show that was this popular would take so long to be released. We're only talking about two seasons here....

MT

Mick Tees

Second Unit
I don't know what is taking so long. There was talk/rumors that with the "Grizzly Man" movie out a year or so ago that this series would be released but to no avail.

I watched this growing up in prime time and in reruns. Then all of a sudden it just disappeared off the face of the earth.

I have refused to purchase any bootlegs with this series.

I share your confusion and wonder what is taking so long?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It baffles me that The Voyagers (no disrespect, I liked that show too) can get a full series release from a major studio (Universal), but we can't get Grizzly Adams??
It's also odd that the original movie hasn't come out, either.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Rob FM said:
Dave and Gord don't have much on this title... anyone know who owns this?
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/shows/Li...zly-Adams/2037
???
Rob, read back through the earlier parts of this very thread. I was told that a "major studio" (which someone else identified as being Paramount) owns the rights to the show, hasn't gotten around to releasing it, but doesn't want to sell the rights off to anyone else to release it either. Including other companies involved in the production of the show.
So there's nothing much for us to say at the site until/unless it gets scheduled.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the rights are kind of confusing. (I may be repeating some earlier info) EDIT: I just checked and yes, I've said this all before.

The film and TV show were from Sunn Classics. They were one of the biggest independents of the 70's (they made IN SEARCH OF NOAH'S ARK, THE LINCOLN CONSPIRACY, and all the speculative documentaries that four-walled cinemas in the late 70's).

In the early 80's, Jensen Farley bought the studio, and then Taft bought them.

In the 80's, VCI released all of the studios films on VHS. They released the film of GRIZZLY ADAMS, but not the TV series. Paramount later got the rights and they own them now.

So, Paramount owns the film and TV show, but I don't even think they know they do.

None of the Sunn Classics films have made it to DVD (other than their other series GREATEST HEROES OF THE BIBLE, which was released in 2002 by Republic). One of the studio's last films, THE BOOGENS, showed up on the Sundance Channel with a Paramount logo.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
Perhaps we should start an internet campaign and bring this matter to the attention of Paramount?

If they know there is a demand out there they may be inclined to get it off of the shelf and put it out on dvd.

I think quite a few people on this board would be open to purchasing complete season sets. It would be nice to throw on some extras as well for the long wait that we've had to endure.

I know the power of this board and the TV shows on DVD website have gotten other shows out of the vaults and onto DVD.

TimT

Agent
I would support such a campaign as long as it is positive in nature. Alerting Paramount to the interest in the product and requesting them to consider it for release.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
if you're up for a strange wedding, Grizzly Adams can marry you at the Bunny Ranch - as seen on HBO's Cathouse.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
re: "Paramount later got the rights and they own them now...So, Paramount owns the film and TV show, but I don't even think they know they do."
Let's narrow this down, if you can. Is it Paramount Home Entertainment which owns these rights, or is it CBS DVD that owns them? Or another Viacom-owned entity?
The reason I bring it up is that there are different people to address it to in each of the different Viacom-owned organizations. For example, if you talked to PHE about Star Trek, well, they'll talk to you. But they'll pass all questions/issues to CBS DVD, which is where the property truly lies.
By the same token, if you talk to CBS DVD about 90210, they can't help you, because that item with Spelling Entertainment. On the third hand, if you want to discuss a property like The Hills or Noah's Arc, better talk to MTV. Then there's Comedy Central (Reno 911!, South Park, etc.), Showtime (Dexter, Californication, etc.), Nickelodeon (Avatar: The Last Airbender, etc.), BET, Hasbro, etc.
Don't get confused, though...Paramount has owned some properties themselves, like Brady Bunch. Most of their properties have transferred to CBS, though, due to the way Viacom sorted out responsibilities among the various divisions. So Par themselves is mostly a distribution arm now.
With that in mind, narrowing down WHICH part of the organization actually holds the rights to Grizzly Adams will help to bring it to the attention of the correct people and get things moving.
I myself would love to see this come to DVD, but I haven't been able to get nearly anything accomplished on my end. I think that's because I'm one guy speaking mainly for himself, and while that's admirable from a "normal" consumer, it comes across differently when it's from someone like me who's "in the biz". :)
So I'll let you guys do your thing, and just note that at TSoD the show is currently ranked #425 on the list of most-wanted shows that are unreleased on DVD. One think to bear in mind is that if I'm the studio which owns this property, I'd give my priorities to anything which might rank higher on that list (representing more potential sales). *I* have voted for it; I hope all of you have!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it will do any good, but I emailed Legend Films (www.legendfilms.net) which has been releasing a lot of Paramount titles, to see if they had any interest in looking into the Sunn Classics library, which includes GRIZZLY ADAMS.
I haven't heard anything back, but since Paramount isn't doing anything, someone else might want to take it.

Mick Tees

Second Unit
It's been a long wait for this one. It's probably one of my favorite shows from the 1970's growing up. I feel like this and Batman 66 are never going to come out.

I'm not a big believer in buying bootlegs off the internet because I would rather wait for the official studio release with extras and complete shows but this is taking a LONG time!

Good luck and keep us posted if you hear anything!

Thanks for keeping this one alive. I used to post something about Grizzly Adams every 6 months but quite frankly I have been losing steam.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
This and another scenic mountainesque show, "Sierra" (1974), I'd love to have on DVD. -That one had a John Denver penned theme song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks