What's new

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean...coming to blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
In between his two mega hits teaming him with George Roy Hill and Robert Redford, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Sting, Paul Newman would make 5 films. He was pretty much at the zenith of his career at this point and the projects he chose to star in were all fascinating choices and all deserve to be on blu-ray.

He made two films with his Cool Hand Luke director, Stuart Rosenberg, WUSA (available on blu-ray) and the Terrence Malick scripted Pocket Money with Lee Marvin. Newman also directed his second feature in which he also starred with Henry Fonda, Sometimes a Great Notion (on blu), based on Ken Kesey's (One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) novel.

Following these three films Newman chose to make two films in a row with the great John Huston directing. One a twisty spy film scripted by Walter Hill (The MacKintosh Man) and the other a giant mythical western written by John Milius--The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

Life and Times of Judge Bean.jpg

Obviously, Newman was enjoying working with the directors he really wanted to make films with and choosing material from some very exciting writers. Scripts by Malick, Milius, and Hill before they went on to make a tremendous body of work as directors and shooting a Ken Kesey novel 5 years before Nicholson and Milos Forman would sear his work into our brains.

Maybe you don't love all these films as much as I do but I think you would have to admit Newman was picking some outstanding material and collaborators in this stretch.

During the early 1970s John Huston was busy being...well...John Huston making films that always had his indelible stamp on them. Hard edged with strong characters and perhaps a bit too dark for audiences at the time, these films, in my opinion, were striking works that were obviously made by a master filmmaker. I mean when you are the guy that made The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, The African Queen, and The Treasure of the Sierra Madre people expect a lot from you. What fascinates me though is that no matter the decade Huston always made films that were quintessentially representative of their times. Look at The Kremlin Letter and it perfectly reflects the paranoia, trust no one, anybody could be killed, murky political atmosphere of the time. Probably not the sort of movie experience many people might have wanted at that time but this nasty little spy thriller oozes with 1970s cynicism.

Then there is Fat City, a sort of anti-Rocky, that examines the life of a retired down on his luck boxer that is inspired to make a comeback through his chance meeting with a younger man he seems to feel has some pugilistic talent. Not only is this a fantastic slice of life but at the same time Huston seems to be commenting on the fate of blue collar working stiffs trying (poorly) to transition into the hard times of the Nixon years of the early 1970s. Again the material is dark and downbeat but the film seems as if it was a precursor and major influence on the independent films of later decades. It is a brilliant film which sadly is also not on blu-ray yet.

The same year that Huston would make Fat City he would also get Newman back in the saddle in The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean. What a one-two punch that pair of films was.

Judge Bean.jpg

I've always felt that Judge Bean plays like some weird fever dream of a western. A film that blows up the mythic American West with larger than life characters and the tall tales that they inspired. It is all the bluster of American folklore and blasphemous sensationalistic journalism combined with Hollywood's rather heavy hand with artistic license. The American West as dream, legend, myth and reflection of America buried in our wild and weird obsessions. The film seems to both embrace and poke fun at how unhinged we can be and how we often celebrate this behavior and the characters that best embody it.

To me the works of Paul Newman and John Huston are not to be missed and these films where they combined their talents, while perhaps not that beloved at the time, should be recognized for how wonderful they really were now. Hopefully somebody has a blu-ray of The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean in the works...it would be a shame if they did not.

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.jpg

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Warner Archive replied to me on their Facebook page that this title and several other WB owned John Huston films were under consideration for a near future blu-ray release, but that more work would be needed. I'm guessing that means a fresh scan.

By the way, Fat City is on blu-ray from Wild Side in France, and I have it and can confirm it's region free.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
mikeyhitchfan said:
Warner Archive replied to me on their Facebook page that this title and several other WB owned John Huston films were under consideration for a near future blu-ray release, but that more work would be needed. I'm guessing that means a fresh scan.

By the way, Fat City is on blu-ray from Wild Side in France, and I have it and can confirm it's region free.

Thanks for the info and the reminder on Fat City, Mike. When I saw that I recalled seeing last year that was coming and totally forgot about it with the deluge of catalog titles coming from various companies. So, I assume you have the Fat City blu and if so what are your thoughts on it? I also discovered when I looked up Fat City after reading your post that there is also a region free blu of Huston's The Kremlin Letter available in France. I wonder if that contains the extra scene that was removed from the US version of the film.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Reggie W said:
Thanks for the info and the reminder on Fat City, Mike. When I saw that I recalled seeing last year that was coming and totally forgot about it with the deluge of catalog titles coming from various companies. So, I assume you have the Fat City blu and if so what are your thoughts on it? I also discovered when I looked up Fat City after reading your post that there is also a region free blu of Huston's The Kremlin Letter available in France. I wonder if that contains the extra scene that was removed from the US version of the film.
Fat City looks and sounds very good. No print damage, good grain visible. A few scenes which are dark here and there are present, as well as some grainy 'blow ups', both of which are in the original film.

The Kremlin Letter is similar to the above review. Very nice presentation, although the audio is a bit more 'tinny'. I don't know what scene was cut, but if you tell me what it was I can tell you. Since this film was popular in France my guess is that it's 'uncut'.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
mikeyhitchfan said:
The Kremlin Letter is similar to the above review. Very nice presentation, although the audio is a bit more 'tinny'. I don't know what scene was cut, but if you tell me what it was I can tell you. Since this film was popular in France my guess is that it's 'uncut'.

It was a scene at the ballet that lasts all of about a minute to a minute and a half. It supposedly was only shown on international prints of the film and Huston himself cut it from the US release. I think it has to do with making a phone call from the ballet but I have to look up the specifics. The only reason I would even think to look for it is because this is a French version of the film and the only blu-ray of it so it may be in there.

From DVDBeaver (referring to the Twilight Time DVD):

there is information about 1 minute and 8 seconds scene set at Bolshoi theater missing from this version, but it was only present on export prints, which was never confirmed to be part of US cut supervised by John Huston - the included booklet addresses this issue in its linear notes.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Reggie W said:
It was a scene at the ballet that lasts all of about a minute to a minute and a half. It supposedly was only shown on international prints of the film and Huston himself cut it from the US release. I think it has to do with making a phone call from the ballet but I have to look up the specifics. The only reason I would even think to look for it is because this is a French version of the film and the only blu-ray of it so it may be in there.

From DVDBeaver (referring to the Twilight Time DVD):

there is information about 1 minute and 8 seconds scene set at Bolshoi theater missing from this version, but it was only present on export prints, which was never confirmed to be part of US cut supervised by John Huston - the included booklet addresses this issue in its linear notes.

I only watched it once a few weeks ago and don't remember such a scene, but I could be wrong. There were tons of international locations in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks