What's new

The 'Let Go' List... Say 'Bye Bye' to a BD here (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
btw the struggle is i pick a film i havent seen likes rules of the game. watch it then stand amazed and say i have to watch that again lolz

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I forgot the author who once advocated that your bookshelf should be full of the books you plan to read, not the books you have already read. But that would include books you plan to read again, or necessary reference books. I still don't do Kindle, but I pass most books along right after I've read them.So, by the same theory, the DVD/BD shelf is stuff you definitely plan to watch again, or films you were more curious to see or watch extras on than for films you just watch on pay on demand or Netflix. It's getting tougher and tougher for newer films to stay on my shelf which, I believe, says more about the quality of films coming out these days than just that I'm an old codger. I personally can't stand films that just depend on CGI anymore. Who wants to see a CGI car stunt instead of the real thing? I'll take Vanishing Point over Need for Speed any day. There's just more at stake than pixels. Mini-rant over.

The latest cull from the collection... Banshee.I was curious to see this pulpy series offering from Cinemax, but the lead actor just didn't have any real charisma (or any acting chops superior to his karate chops), and the amount of times he was beaten to a pulp and came out fine a day or so later was just beyond cartoonish. The writing was also cartoonish and the violence and sex just gratuitous. At least the violence and gratuitous sex in Game of Thrones is more cleverly woven into complex story-telling. It's wrong to expect too much from Sin-emax but this is definitely a one-and-done series for me.
Bye bye.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
my criterion is if you will rent the film more times it will cost than buying new then you should buy it. say redbox is $1 if you will watch that filmmore than 10 times then buy it atsales when that title is $10.that just eliminates almost all your collection lolz

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JediFonger said:
my criterion is if you will rent the film more times it will cost than buying new then you should buy it. say redbox is $1 if you will watch that filmmore than 10 times then buy it atsales when that title is $10.that just eliminates almost all your collection lolz
Not even close, for me at least.If I went to every legit place to rent/stream my VHS/LD/CED/DVD/BD...Easily 40% of my movies, mostly the non DVD/ BD, would not be there to find.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Moe Dickstein said:
What do you still have on CED?
I'll have to look. I'm not even sure if any of them aren't on DVD yet. Couple years ago there was one that wasn't even on VHS.Most of them I recorded to S-VHS anyway. But I have more S-VHS than I have(or ever had) in CED.I even had(for a short time) one of those Sony HI8 VTR. They did release content for it.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark Booth said:
Bye bye, 'Tree of Life'! And good riddance, you are a miserably boring movie!

Mark
LOL. Yeah, I want those three hours of MY life back.
I love his cinematography and composition (or his DP's), but it would do just as well in a still picture book because he doesn't know how to tell or pace a coherent or compelling story. IMO. I traded in The Thin Red Line a while back. I prefer The Big Red One.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Keith Cobby said:
Skyfall - derivative and dull. A well made film but with not a single memorable line of dialogue. Time to retire Bond.
Why not just retire the producers and the writers? New blood and new ideas might work wonders.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robin9 said:
Why not just retire the producers and the writers? New blood and new ideas might work wonders.
Except that Skyfall made over a billion dollars worldwide, the highest grossing Bond entry of them all. So, in terms of business, I suspect the powers that be think they're making all the right decisions. The public by and large seems to agree if the film's success is any indication. Skyfall was also the first Bond film of recent memory that made any dent in the awards circuit.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Keith Cobby said:
Skyfall - derivative and dull. A well made film but with not a single memorable line of dialogue. Time to retire Bond.
I can't even get through Quantum of Solace to make it to Skyfall. Ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks