THE LEOPARD-Criterion

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Hertzberg, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    Haven't seen this mentioned over here...if it's true, this is some truly great news:
    From dvdtimes.com

More Criterion news:

"On the bfi's website, they have made the following announcement:

The Leopard, Luchino Visconti’s epic film will be released on DVD and VHS in spring 2004

bfi Video is currently working on the production of The Leopard in conjunction with Twentieth Century Fox and the Criterion Collection, for release on both DVD and VHS formats.

Although we had initially hoped to release The Leopard this November, we have recently had the unforeseen opportunity to access original 70mm elements of the film. This will enable us to release the best possible version with superb picture and sound quality, but the technical process has meant that it will not be ready until early 2004.

The DVD will contain several extras. Currently confirmed are a full feature commentary by David Forgacs, Professor of Italian at University College London, extracts from an interview with Claudia Cardinale and the original trailer.

As soon as we can confirm the release date we will announce it here.

Whether both releases will feature the same specifications remains to be seen, but this comes as excellent news for lovers of world cinema all the same. "

2. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thought I'd ask again, now that this disc was "supposed" to have been released yesterday (re another thread that I can't seem to put my finger on): has anybody got it? Or know anything more? This was announced at the same time as Tin Drum (which I just got) and Stray Dog IIRC.

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

No sign of this on Amazon.ca yet....

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The new full-length print of the film will be premiering theatrically on June 5 at the Lake Placid Film Festival in New York State. Martin Scorsese will be on hand to introduce the show.

6. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks for the info guys. Obviously the disc is out since there are *some* reviews. However, I notice Herb Kane did not do a review on it, though he did review the others I mentioned. Of course, it could be a time factor, there are many hours, almost 6 of just the cuts of the film itself.

Sounds like this is a "must have". Like one of the reviewers, I also was not greatly impressed overall with The Damned as a film, but this sounds lots more interesting.

Jeff: I've been checking amazon.ca a few times a week since the disc was announced. Odd it was never listed (so I could get that BIG pre-order discount that makes amazon.ca worthwile for Criterions) though the others I mentioned were. DVDSoon lists it as in stock. DeepDiscountDVD (my preferred U.S. source for CC's) does not, though with their *new* shipping charge to Canada, DVDSoon is overall slightly cheaper.

7. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

It's frustrating that Amazon.ca hasn't had it listed since the announcement.

I'm also constantly checking, but no luck so far.

Amazon.ca is great for early pre-orders of Criterions - where you can get nice 2-disc Crition's for $36 CAD (plus $5 GC and free shipping).

I emailed Amazon.ca about it and all I got was a reply that it's not available on their site (umm, I know it's not available... that's why I emailed you).

From the screenshots on those reviews, the transfer looks amazing.

8. Dustin James

Dustin James Stunt Coordinator

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yes, it's been postponed a little. Not unusual with Criterion. I have my Tin Drum and Dr. Mabuse for now though [​IMG]

10. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hey Guys... yes I do have a copy for review, unfortunately most of the May Criterions all arrived at the same time but I hope to get to it on the weekend... it looks like a pretty extensive set.

Herb.

11. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

I preorered this in MARCH on AMAMZON, it has been on the site for MONTHS

12. Mike_Richardson

Mike_Richardson Supporting Actor

I have a review copy and haven't had full time to fully make my way through it. However, from what I've seen, fans will not be disappointed. The International version of the movie looks utterly fabulous. The US version has a good many issues both in its soundtrack and in the print utilized -- it's in fairly rough condition for a Criterion release, but I assume that's all they had access to from Fox. Supplements, as always, are also excellent.

13. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    I just picked up THE LEOPARD and wow the Italian version is eye poppingly beautiful! I've seen the film many times and I've never seen it look so good! The US is version though is in fairly ragged condition. I wonder if the film was ever in stereo when first released as the sound on both is flat and in mono.

14. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    I had this in my hands in a Toronto store today but didn't buy it yet, so it's out there.

15. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

16. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Criterion's DVD of The Leopard looks as good as it does because of the care that went into its production. Everything has been done correctly.

After doing proper testing, the new transfer was created by running the original TLA negative through a datacine.

It should be mentioned that the release is a three disc set, inclusive of both the longer 185 version as well as the original US 161 minute cut.

RAH

17. Ravi K

Ravi K Supporting Actor

Why is the shorter US version included in this package? Is it really important to be able to see it?

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

The shorter U.S version, while inferior to the international longer version, will at least give us a glimpse of Burt Lancaster's performance without the anonymous dubbed into Italian job of the longer international version. If my memory serves me right though, the French speaking Alain Delon is dubbed in both versions.