The Legend of Zu?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phu Vo, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

All I know is that Tsu Hark is the director. The guy who did the excellent HK action flick "Time and Tide". Yuen Po Wing is doing the fight choreography (of Matrix and CTHD fame). And Zhang Ziyi of Crouching Tiger fame is in it. So there are some interesting possibilities here. A friend on IRC informed me of this movie's existence otherwise I would have never known of it. The last time I had an IRC friend tell me to watch out for a movie from Asia, it was Crouching Tiger. This one looks equally interesting, but a bit more fantastic. There is a pretty long trailer. That you can check out here:
    mms://wms1.elta.com.tw/ch5/entertainment/H108107L1.wmv
    There wasn't much info to dig up on this flick on the web besides a cast listing on IMDB. Anyone know any more dirt on this flick. Maybe a possible DVD release?
    ------------------

2. YANG

YANG Second Unit

THE LEGEND OF ZU had just recently released in asian cinemas.The film belongs to a martial arts,action and fantasy category.
    I will post a review of this movie later in the movie forum.

3. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Extra

Tsui Hark's "The Legend of Zu" is a remake of his own movie with similar title, "The Legend of Zu Mountain", way back in the 1980 or so. It is basically a good vs evil fantasy with lots of special effects.
    I saw the earlier version some years ago and when I heard that Tsui Hark was remaking this movie I was really looking forward to it. But unfortunately it was a big, I mean BIG letdown. I almost walked out of the movie theatre half way through the flick. It was just that boring. The movie is more like an exercise in CGI by Tsui Hark; unexciting plot, poor acting, and bad choreography.
    The only recent Hong Kong movie released this summer that is worth mentioning is "Shaolin Soccer" by Stephen Chow Sing Chi. Go check it out if you get the chance; it is really funny and with memorable characters.

4. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Darn, that sucks. I am a sucker for Kung Fu Fantasy flicks. I don't think I would mind bad CGI, I mean after all, it is a fantasy. It is when they try to make CGI look real and it falls short, that is when I mind. I just wish they would adopt more Jademan comics characters. They used to distribute Jademan comics here in the US for a while, but they went under. I am glad I was finally able to see an adaptation of "the Blood Sword" in the film "A Man Called Hero". But I need more. Maybe we can get an adaptation of "Iron Marshall" or "Drunken Fist" soon.
    ------------------

5. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Extra

Did you manage to catch "Storm Rider"? Thought that was better than "A Man Called Hero"; plot-wise. I believe "SR" was an adaptation of a popular comic book in Hong Kong by the same author who created "Blood Sword".
    But I think Hong Kong is still a bit new to the CGI scene; I still find the old kung fu flicks without CGI more exciting with better choreography; eg. "Once Upon A Time in China" series, "Iron Monkey", etc. "Shaolin Soccer" is an exception though; it used CGI to enhance the story unlike "Legend of Zu" which was more like Tsui Hark making up a plot so that he can show off what he can do with CGI.

6. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Of course I have seen Storm Riders. It is a jewel in my collection. Funny because Once Upon a Time in China 1-3 as well as Iron Monkey are already in my collection. I even have the original Iron Monkey from the 70's! But yeah, Storm Riders was better, but to be able to see a comic come to life is very cool. They never brought the Storm Riders in comic form to the States, so I am not familiar with it. Blood Sword just happened to be my favorite Jademan comic. Too bad they went under and tied up all the stories in a hasty fashion. I felt cheated. A Man Called Hero quenched my yearning to see the story come full circle to some extent. But I am interested in seeing this "Shaolin Soccer" flick you mentioned (funny as hell name). Also, do you have any info on "The Sword"? It was supposed to be based on the same series as CTHD. If it has even decent wire-fu and an ok plot, I am satisfied. Like I said, I am a sucker for Kung Fu Fantasy flicks. So I wouldn't expect another Oscar caliber effort in the vain of CTHD. Movies like that come out once a generation.
    ------------------

7. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"But I think Hong Kong is still a bit new to the CGI scene; I still find the old kung fu flicks without CGI more exciting with better choreography; eg. "Once Upon A Time in China" series, "Iron Monkey", etc. "Shaolin Soccer" is an exception though"
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Yup,that is absolutly correct about SHAOLIN SOCCER outshines other HK CGI filled movies.The CGI used in SHAOLIN SOCCER is the best of all,the most natural(although there is one or two scenes where the CGI is very obvious).I guess this is why,this movie had earned MIRAMAX big interest to distribute the film in U.S.
    Hope that CHINA STAR laser studio will release this film with a DTS 5.1 track...
    My review of the LEGEND OF ZU... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/007500.html
    [Edited last by YANG on August 25, 2001 at 11:06 PM]

8. Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Sutjahjo Ngaserin Stunt Coordinator

Being a long term fan of Tsui Hark, I think he has lost his touch in recent years
    If you don't believe me, watch Lao Fu Zhi (Tsui Hark is the producer, not the director), the worst movie I've seen in a long time
    While the original "Zhu" was a breakthrough THEN, this remake is a messy demo of special effects with no souls.
    Ziyi played her small part brilliantly but not enough to save a bad movie. Perhaps I had huge expectation and was disappointed (My friend who had low expectation enjoyed the movie, I will still get the DVD when it is released)
    In contrast, the original lacked all the CGI but was thoroughly enjoyable.

9. YANG

YANG Second Unit

I will vote for SHAOLIN SOCCER for the best made CGI HK film of the year.

10. Ernest_T

Ernest_T Extra

I agree with you, Yang, on Shaolin Soccer being the best HK CGI movie of the year. In fact, I would go as far as voting it the best HK movie of this year.
    And I agree with Sutjahjo that Tsui Hark has lost his touch...I bought the Lao Fu Zhi VCD...did not finish...it is probably one of the worst Hong Kong movie of the year.
    Phu, you mean Tsui Hark's "The Blade"?

11. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

12. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Nice to know that Stephen Chow is still active. . .he doesn't have much of a following here in the States! [​IMG]
    (Now, here's hoping he can convince Amy Yip to come back for his future films! He he he)

13. YANG

YANG Second Unit

According to a recent chinese entertainment news report,QUENTIN TARANTINO tries to introduce STEPEHEN CHOW films to american audience in a recent film festival/award by screening THE KING OF BEGGARS.The audience gives positive recognition to STEPHEN CHOW acting performance.
    QUENTIN plans to show the audience another of STEPHENS films,THE ROYAL TRAMP series probably next year.

14. YANG

YANG Second Unit

15. YANG

YANG Second Unit

DVD review of SHAOLIN SOCCER is up in the REGIONAL DVD AREA.