The Legend of Zelda: OOT (Gamecube)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean DeMass, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Since people are finally receiving the Zelda bonus disc (I got mine last week), I thought I would start a discussion thread about it. I've played through it a bit and here are my initial thoughts on it.

The Positives:
    * 480p
    * Controls are just as responsive as the N64
    * Cleaner graphics
    * Smoother frame rate
    * No loss of sound quality
    * Load times are Nil
    * Saving is quick to the Memory Card
    * Video footage of upcoming Gamecube games, including F-Zero

The Negatives:
    * No 16x9 support
    * Have to wait until end of March for The Wind Waker [​IMG]

-Dean-

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Oh goody!
    Maybe I'll be able to get some more use out of the Xbox before I hog the GC for the next month [​IMG]

Awesome positives - really looking forward to both Zeldas..(well , 3)

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Why would it have 16:9 support? It's just an emulation

4. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

How does the button mapping translate to the Gamecube controller? The Z-trigger button was critical on the N64 version, and there's no equivalent button location on the Gamecube controller.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The emulator could provide 480p support by combining fields in software.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

9. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm really looking forward to this one as I never owned an N64. My buddy raves about this game saying it's the best Zelda ever(though I'm partial to A Link To The Past myself). Either way I'll be counting the days until I can experience this one. I think it'll be good to play it with the Cube controller too as I abhoar the N64 control stick.

10. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I'm still trying to get the gumption to start playing Sonic Adventure Battle 2. How long did it take for someone to beat that game? I wanna be able to play OOT all the way through without switching discs [​IMG].

11. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Ahh, I hope our EB gets these little babies in by Saturday when I'll have time to pick up and fiddle with this. I've played about thirty minutes of OOT so I'm dying to get what will be a whole new experience in Zelda-ing for me!

Thanks for the report Dean, good stuff.

12. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Didn't the N64 version have some proprietary surround sound format in OOT? (I think it was called MoSys or something like that, also used in Rouge Squadron.) Does this translate over into the GC, through PL2 maybe? I really liked that in OOT.

I should get my disc today. Man, it's gonna be fun to play through that again.

13. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I liked OOT as much as is humanly possible, although Link to the Past was a religious experience for me, so nothing could really top that. I think this is a great great deal from Nintendo to package 2 awesome Zelda games as a bonus with the new Wind Waker game.

I simply could not resist so much Zelda goodness. I've pre-ordered Wind Waker w/bonus, now I just have to get a Gamecube!

Dean, I've read elsewhere that the frame rate is identical to the N64 version. Are you saying it's definitely improved?

This is the greatest game series of all time, IMO.

-Dan
    getting hyped already & doesn't even have a Gamecube

14. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

15. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I played with OOT for about a half-hour this morning. I have no expertise in the whole framerate department, but it *does* definitely look smoother and Link is more zippy in his movements (I noticed this especially while climbing the vines inside the Great Deku Tree).

Also, no load wait is great! [​IMG]

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Zelda had Dolby Surround, Rogue Squadron had MoSys.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I think the framerate is the same, just more consistent.

-Dave

19. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I'm probably in the minority here, but am i the only one who can't see why people rave about this game? It's a good game, but it's got it's problems. My beefs are
    1)The camera is terrible
    2)The controls don't seem to work right(sometimes I'll press the lock on button and it won't lock on. Other times the lock on button won't switch to lock on if i'm in first person view)
    3)There are so many little side quests that you have to sort of stumble on unless you're using a walkthrough. I'm struggling right now to get Epona in the race against that damn guy
    which brings me to my final poit
    4)the game is really hard and can be extremely frustrating. It's one thing if I die because of a boss being hard but it's another to die because i was fumbling with unintuitive controls and pesky camera angles. I've found myself getting really frustrated while playing this game almost as much as I do when playing Splinter Cell(level 4 in that game had me this close to either selling it immediately and never playing it again or just throwing the disc out my window). Perhaps my level of patience is not what it was a few months ago and that's showing even in my game playing(let's put it this way. I can't wait to not be sharing a single room with another person anymore once I graduate in May) but I'm just finding OoT to be good but nowhere near worthy of the title of best zelda game ever. Here's hoping the Wind Waker fixes some of these issues.

20. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter