The Legacy of Led Zeppelin

Discussion in 'Music' started by Patrick Larkin, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Last week when the Led Zeppelin DVD came out, I read dozens of posts from people that couldn't find it at their local Best Buys and circuit Citys. I went to two places near me on my lunch break (Walmart and Blockbuster) neither of which carried it. I also attempted to rent it at Blockbuster but they didn't have it for rental either.

Then, I notice that the Led Zeppelin CD set is #1 on the charts. So, did all these stores and possibly the publisher underestimate the humongous fanbase of Led Zeppelin AND that there is a huge untapped market?

Truthfully, I haven't listened to a LZ album in a decade (ok, occasionally in the car) but I was most interested in any NEW material. I'm sure a lot of people were like me and the retailers missed the boat.

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

perhaps it is also because this is the first official live material that has been released since LZ disbanded in 1980

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

4. Trina

Trina Agent

I think it's great that a band that hasn't been active
    since 1980 can release something in 2003 and kick the butt
    of todays popular 'acts.' Especially with 30 year old recordings. I LOVE it.

T

5. Patrick Larkin

Led Zeppelin wrote the book on rock. Growing up in the 70's, there was no group as large. I remember the anticipation of "In Through the Out Door" and the 5 different album covers in brown paper. I remember the news of the tour and then the death of Bonham.

Led Zeppelin was mega huge and their legacy lives on - as strong as the other "super groups" who kept a higher profile over the last 20 years.

The retailers seemed to short shrift the DVD release especially - with the largest chains ordering low stock or none at all.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

New titles sell out quickly on a regular basis, so I don't think Led Zeppelin's legacy was underestimated. Everyone knows they're the single most popular hard rock group of all time.

If anything was "underestimated" it could be the DVD format, but I don't even think that's true.

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

And in addition to the huges sales for the 30 odd year old material, it sounds better than 90% of the crap put out nowadays. See the other threads in this section for the current tendency of massively compressed/limited production. (Of course, they do this too on remastered older material too.) [​IMG]

9. Patrick Larkin

10. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

I was surprised at how this sells like hot cakes too. Stuff never sells out at the local Circuit City but on the day of release they didn't have either the CD or DVD in stock. I was in shock. So I went over to Best Buy and priced matched CC's ad there.

11. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

There's no question many retailers underestimated the demand for the CD and DVD where I live. Nobody had either last Saturday, not even Tower Records. When I asked the guy at Tower where they were, he just shrugged and told me they were sold out and that they didn't order near enough of them. I found them today at Borders after striking out at Tower again.

13. Ed E Lee

Ed E Lee Agent

The Wednesday after it came out I went to Target, Best Buy, then Circuit City. None of them had any. I finally went to the nearest Fry's and they must have had 7 or so left. And it was still $15.99. Granted, the sale price wasn't shown on the label, but when I brought it up, that's what it was rung up as. Woo woooo!

14. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I got into Zep in the summer of '86 just before my senior year of High School. Up to that point, like everyone else, I owned Zeppelin IV and listened to "Stairway" and "Whole Lotta Love" on the radio, but that was it. Then I woke up and bought the remainder of their albums, including CODA, in a span of three days! I bought the VHS tape of The Song Remains the Same, the book "Hammer of the Gods" and completely immersed myself in their music.

17 years later I can still listen to a Zep song and hear something I have never heard before. One day it was Jimmy Page's fingers sliding on the frets during "Since I've Been Loving You" another day it was a bass line I never noticed before, and another day it was Bonzo's incredible bass drum work.

We have two stations in the tiny little greater-Hartford area that devote a block of time EVERY NIGHT to Led Zeppelin. One station calls it "Whole Lotta Led" one calls it "Get the Led Out". What other band can do this? The Dead to some extent,

I could not find How the West Was Won DVD in any B&M store last week. I'm going to buy the DVDs now and anxiously await the DVD-A release. That should be phenomenal!

Ralph

15. Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell Stunt Coordinator

I think one of the attractions of this dvd set is that Zeppelin went out of their way to avoid the media after getting trashed by Rolling Stone and a couple of other major magazines early in their career.

This set gives you a pretty good idea what a Zeppelin show was about. I thought the interesting part was the difference between the Austrailia shows in 1972 ( Page in jeans ) and the Madison Square Garden shows 1 year later. (Page in dragon suit) Although even at MSG and Knebworth the special effects were pretty subdued by today's standards.

Today it is way to easy to find overexposed rock acts that use the music media as a commercial for their latest product.

16. Lewis Collins

The Tuesday these went on sale I went to my local CC which ran a special - buy the dvd and cd set together for $30. I got there just as they opened. The cds were already on the shelf and they were just taking the dvds out of boxes. I grabbed a set for myself and a set for my 23 year old daughter (damn I'm glad she likes classic rock). I then went over to the computer software dept. and picked up some jewel cases for cds. By the time I got back to the dvd/cd section - 5-10 minutes at most - they were out of the Led Zep dvd. I had the feeling they only got about a half dozen copies in because there were'nt that many people in the store yet.

17. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Exactly, and Zep gained all of their popularity while refusing to release singles for radio airplay. At the time this was viewed as a career killer. The only single Zep released was The Immigrant Song from their 3rd album. (There was an abridged version of Whole Lotta Love, but that wasn't an official single.)

18. Trenton McNeil

Trenton McNeil Second Unit

Well I'm listening to the CDs now, and I must say the sound quality is remarkable. I am impressed with their live performance greatly...looking forward to viewing the DVDs when I have some time.

19. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Hey Hey What Can I Do – Is the only track Led Zeppelin released as a single, but never included on any of their LP’s.

20. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I went to four stores a couple of days after its released and the DVD set was sold out in every store. I finally got a raincheck from Best Buy and received the copy a week later. A few days after I purchased my copy, the local BB was sold out again. The popularity of this DVD goes beyond the first week of release sale.