What's new

The Leftovers (1 Viewer)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
TravisR said:
Season Two is being released on Blu-ray and DVD on February 9. Since they aren't waiting for a new season, I think it's a good indicator (though not a guarantee) that the show won't be back.

A good observation. And most probably a permanent departure.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Just saw that it was renewed too. Happy to be wrong.

From the press release, Damon Lindelof says
"...the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring THE LEFTOVERS to a definitive end. And by ‘definitive,’ we mean ‘wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,’ as all things related to this show are destined to be."
That sounds about right. :)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Very surprised. HBO does care about quality and I guess it was hard to ignore how much better this season was despite ratings. I think raves from critics helped. But it got ignored in the Golden Globes. And now they'll probably pull the Season 2 BD release until just before the start of Season 3 as standard.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure which makes me happier: That HBO renewed it, or that they were up front with the creative staff that it would be the last season. With a show like this, I don't think we'll ever get the "Parks & Recreation" tie everything up in a neat little bow ending. But it does mean that as the writers plot out the run, they know they're telling the remainder of the arc for each of our characters, and it means they don't have to save anything for future seasons.

Full Press Release:
HBO RENEWS "THE LEFTOVERS" FOR A THIRD AND FINAL SEASON

LOS ANGELES, Dec. 10, 2015 - HBO has renewed the critically acclaimed drama series THE LEFTOVERS for a third and final season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Created by Damon Lindelof (Emmy(R) winner for "Lost") and Tom Perrotta (Academy Award(R) nominee for "Little Children"), the series is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television.

"It is with great enthusiasm that we welcome back Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta and the extraordinary talent behind THE LEFTOVERS for its third and final season," said Lombardo. "This show has proven to be one of the most distinctive HBO series and we are extremely proud of its unrivaled originality, which has resulted in such a passionate following by our HBO viewers. We admire and fully support Damon's artistic vision and respect his decision to bring the show to its conclusion next season."

"I have never, ever experienced the level of creative support and trust that I have received from HBO during the last two seasons of THE LEFTOVERS," says Damon Lindelof. "Tom, myself and our incredible team of writers and producers put tremendous care into designing those seasons as novels unto themselves... with beginnings, middles and ends. As we finished our most recent season, it became clear to us that the series as a whole was following the same model... and with our beginning and middle complete, the most exciting thing for us as storytellers would be to bring THE LEFTOVERS to a definitive end. And by 'definitive,' we mean 'wildly ambiguous but hopefully mega-emotional,' as all things related to this show are destined to be.

"On behalf of our incredible crew and superb cast, we are all tremendously grateful that HBO is giving us an opportunity to conclude the show on our own terms... an opportunity like this one rarely comes along, and we have every intention of living up to it. One more thing. We are blessed by the unwavering support of our fans and the incredibly powerful voice of the critical community. We feel absolutely privileged to heat up one last helping of leftovers."

In the second season of THE LEFTOVERS, the show expanded on the original concept of The Rapture that was explored in Tom Perrotta's bestselling novel of the same name, continuing to focus on the ways ordinary people react to inexplicable events. Season two told a tale of two families, the Garveys and the Murphys, whose lives intersected in surprising ways, following the Garveys from New York to eastern Texas, where one small town, nicknamed "Miracle," and its residents had been spared during The Departure.

The finale of the second season of THE LEFTOVERS debuted Dec. 6 on HBO. Among the critical praise, the New York Times hailed THE LEFTOVERS as "outstanding" and referred to it as a "master class," while HitFix.com deemed the show "TV's best drama," as well as "powerful, immersive." The Hollywood Reporter said that "every performance is superlative," and TVLine.com hailed the series as "breathtaking, audacious, innovative." Season two has been included in many Best of 2015 critics' lists, while Vulture.com has lauded THE LEFTOVERS as "one of the great dramas in American television."

Season two series regulars included Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Christopher Eccleston, Liv Tyler, Carrie Coon, Ann Dowd, Margaret Qualley, Chris Zylka, Regina King, Kevin Carroll, Jovan Adepo and Janel Moloney.

Season two credits: THE LEFTOVERS is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television; created by Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta; executive produced by Damon Lindelof, Tom Perrotta, Mimi Leder, Tom Spezialy, Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey; co-executive producers, Gene Kelly, Jacqueline Hoyt, Albert Berger and Ron Yerxa. Lindelof serves as showrunner.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I was really glad to hear that there will be a season 3.

If season 2 had been it, that would have been somewhat ok, but I really felt that we needed more from the story and the characters.

This is definitely not a show where anyone should expect everything to be neatly tied up and explained. I doubt there will be much of a definitive answer to what it is all about, and I think the words of the season 2 opening song will ring true for the series as a whole.

"Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from/ Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done/ But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me/ I think I'll just let the mystery be,"
But the characters can still have a bit more of a journey and hopefully more emotional closure.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The second season is one of the honorees of the 75th Peabody Awards:
"After an inexplicable global cataclysm - a massive random harvest - thins Earth’s population by 140 million, the survivors in this challenging, deeply philosophical, boldly imagined drama are left to figure out how to get on with life in a world that’s stopped making sense."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Production shifting to Australia for Third and Final Season of "The Leftovers"

Australia of course, is where Kevin Garvey, Sr. moved to after he was released from the mental institution. He was last seen talking to his son in purgatory via a drug-induced trance.

I like that each season is set in a different place than the last one. As much as I love the Season 2 credits, I hope they do a whole new sequence for Season 3 as well.

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
Did anyone happen to catch the most recent episode of 'The Blacklist?' [the one where Red goes to the beach house and has a fever dream about Katarina Rostova]

The music in piano scene was Ezio Bosso's 'Rain in Your Black Eyes' which Richter borrowed HEAVILY from for The Leftovers score.

Go to 1:20 [from premiere]

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I knew it! OK, that's the most unlikely thing I've read in quite a while.

How many US TV shows shoot outside of North America? Obviously, Game Of Thrones does and Ash Vs. Evil Dead but I can't think of too many other shows that do it and usually, it's a matter of budget and/or location rather creative choice. Big thumbs up to HBO for getting behind what is seemingly a bold creative move.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Production shifting to Australia for Third and Final Season of "The Leftovers"

Australia of course, is where Kevin Garvey, Sr. moved to after he was released from the mental institution. He was last seen talking to his son in purgatory via a drug-induced trance.

I like that each season is set in a different place than the last one. As much as I love the Season 2 credits, I hope they do a whole new sequence for Season 3 as well.
Mad_Max_Leftovers_2.jpg
Mad_Max_Leftovers_1.jpg

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"The Leftovers" Season 3: Nearly the Entire Cast is Returning, with Three Changes

As expected, Ann Dowd -- whose character died in the first season and was exorcised from Kevin in the second season -- will not be a series regular for Season 3. Scott Glenn (who recurred as Kevin's father in the first two seasons) and Jasmin Savoy-Brown (the Murphys' prodigal teenage daughter, under the sway of the Guilty Remnant) have been promoted to series regulars for the third and final season.

This is all to the good. As great as Dowd was, Patti's story ran its course. And of the dangling threads left hanging at the end of season two, Kevin Sr. and Evie's stories were the ones I was most interested in seeing what happens next.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Man, it says that the bulk of filming doesn't resume until the fall when they go to Australia. I was hoping that it would be on in the winter but I guess it won't be on until Game Of Thrones' season is over early next summer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks