The Left Behind book series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I read a lot of horror novels, and that is basically the only genre I read. Then about two months ago I was required to read either Left Behind or Harry Potter for a class in school. I picked Left Behind (can't stand that Potter hoopla), and I was really surprised by how much I liked it! It was so good! Now I have felt compelled to continue reading the rest of the books in the series on my own, and they are extremely enjoyable. And I find it odd, but the love story is my favorite subplot of the series. Seriously, I think these books are just absolutely wonderful! Are there any others here who enjoy these books as much as I do?

Also, I've heard that a movie has been made out of this, but I refuse to see it. I have a picture in my mind of what the characters look like and would be like, and I'm positive that a film could not do them justice. That is the reason I will not see it, plus I hear that the film is bad. Despite the fact that I will not be seeing it, what makes the film so bad for those that have seen it?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The movie is hysterically bad

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Considering the assumingly small budget [​IMG] I thought it was mediocre, not horribly bad. Stars Kirk Kameron & the plot really made me interested in the books. My siblings are addicted to the series, but I have only seen the movie.

4. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

DO NOT see the movie, anyone! The movie does not do the book justice in any way, shape or form.

5. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Justin, I have read all 10 books of the Left Behind series and cannot wait until the next one. These books are awesome!

I have seen the movie. And I would like to smack whoever casted Kirk Cameron as Buck Williams. Otherwise, I thought all of the other cast members fit their role very well. The movie wasn't horrible, but definitely does not compare to the book!

6. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I saw the authors on t.v. show that didn't like the movie based on their book. And a hard core christian I know didn't like the movie. I thought it was o.k., I picked up the dvd. I like THE OMEGA CODE better which is based on the same subject matter about The Book Of Revelation. Also I've noticed people who don't believe in the bible hate these type of movies.

7. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

I have read all of the books that have come out so far. I love the series, my parents got me hooked on them. Now, I have to wait until summer to get the next one.

8. Stephen_Opipari

Stephen_Opipari Stunt Coordinator

Stephen
    I have been an avid reader of the books for about 3 years. I think there were 3 of them out when I started. I feel the writing overall has a little bit to be desired in dialogue. But, the content and meaning makes them the best fictional end times/salvation books. I usually consume new ones within a day of purchase. They are also on a very short list of Christian books to get consistantly on the Bestsellers list. And the books follows Revelation pretty closely, fictionalizing the events in a reasonable order and time manner.
    The LB movie...well, it was o.k. It didn't do the book justice. I don't feel that any movie could do the book justice though. It would take a TV show with a consistant arc a good 5 or 6 seasons (covering 2 books a season) to truly tell the story in a proper fashion that follows the book.
    The Omega Code was a better and more entertaining a 'movie'. But, everything was out of order to Rev. and a lot of events (most of the tribulations) were flat out omitted. The Omega Code 2 just came out...haven't seen it yet.
    Another series of Christan movies that was produced by the same house (Cloud 9) as Left Behind are Apocalypse, Revelation, Tribulation and Judgement. I have only seen Apocalypse thus far, and quite frankly its the best Revelation times movie I have seen. The budget was *low* and it was obviously shot on videotape as opposed to film. But the story of the endtimes and salvation was best told overall.
    All IMHO and YMMV [​IMG]