What's new

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen 2-Disk Set (2 Viewers)

Jonathan W

Agent
I've just heard on good authority that FOX has cancelled plans for a 2-Disk set of LXG. This is a shame, since I truly believe that the film critics unfairly ganged up on this picture. At the imdb, over 50% of the votes are a 7 or higher, and I genuinely believe that this film could gain a better reception through DVD.

This is one film that needs the expanded treatment. There is so much history and hidden reference material that 2 disks could easily be filled with useful insights and information. Is anyone else out there interested in a 2-Disk set of LXG?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I agree that The League was unfairly maligned. I enjoyed it and would buy a 2 disc SE in a second. My friend worked on the film so I'll see if I can confirm or deny this rumor.

Give it a chance HTF'ers. It's not that bad!;)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I'd buy a 2-disc of LXG. This type of movie will probably do quite well on DVD. I really hope the 2-disc comes out. I'm sure there's a lot they can talk about. The movie was loaded with character design as well as special effects.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I would snatch up a 2 disc set of this one if they allowed Stephen Norrington to put together his definitive cut of the film. He has all but abandoned the film, and rumors of Connery taking over in the editing room were widespread before the film's release. Norrington didn't even bother to show up for the premiere, and Connery ripped him to the press during the premiere, so I somehow doubt the theatrical cut is what the director intended.

A star/director power struggle derails another film...I likely won't check this one out until the DVD hits .

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I've just heard on good authority that FOX has cancelled plans for a 2-Disk set of LXG. This is a shame, since I truly believe that the film critics unfairly ganged up on this picture. At the imdb, over 50% of the votes are a 7 or higher, and I genuinely believe that this film could gain a better reception through DVD.
Well, let's see. I haven't read Moore's original comic, but what I DO know is that there were a ton of agregious errors in the characters in the film version. For example. Captain Nemo was not Indian, he was of Mediterranean(probably Greek Isles) decent. On top of that he would never have cared about the affairs of the land dwellers and gotten involved. Item #3- The Nautilus looks like a sea monster, not a silver tea set, and where's all of Nemo's ego-boosting "N"'s?

The first hour was highly entertaining, the second hour had me checking the watch every 10 minutes. Venice blows up, so does the film. Maybe there is a good film there, but frankly I don't see it.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
Do yourself a favor and get the tradepaper back of the first volume. It collects all the issues of the first series (the second series has 5 issues published with 1 more in August) and it really is a masterpiece. Mina isn't a vampire, she is a victim, the Nautilus (sorry I spelled that wrong) is a squid design, Quatermain isn't that brave and great hero he is in the movie, and the best part involved the invisible man and a Girl's Reform school. Definitely one to check out even if you don't read comics, don't judge it by the movie as they are both a different monster.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course not Jon, I'm usually the first to complain about adaptations ;) I will probably pick up the TPB

Guy Martin

Second Unit
Jeff-

I believe it was revealed at the end of Mysterious Island, Verne's sequel to 20,000 Leagues that Nemo was in fact Indian.

- Guy

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I'd be very interested in an elaborate special edition of the film. I found it to be a very enjoyable picture in theatres; several notches below Terminator 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean (which I should think continue to represent its box office competition, and both of which I'd classify as great action adventure pictures), but still a fun, engaging ride, atmospheric and, while never surprising, always delightful (if only the Invisible Man's not very invisible skin tone didn't show through his white make-up -- cold cream? -- upon close scrutiny of certain scenes ... :)). I wouldn't mind a sequel or two at all (in fact I'm sure I'd enjoy them), and in the meantime, :emoji_thumbsup: for a two-disc DVD set.

If such plans have been cancelled, I hope they're reinstated. And I'm all for extended and/or multiple cuts.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I'll be picking up the TPB shortly...after just finishing Moore's "The Watchmen" I am looking forward to giving it a read.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I can see this being released as a single disc release. They'll probably put a lot of extras on the other side, since Fox has suddenly started the double sided disc phase once again. Oh and don't forget the seperate worthless pan & scan version as well.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, like Phone Booth I'd say they'll put P&S on the flip, MAYBE a DVD-14.

Any chance of the 2disc being released would probably depend on sales of the first DVD

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, for those of you that liked The League, you'll be happy to know that Stephen Norrington is indeed interested in doing an extended director's cut for the DVD along with his commentary.

Still not sure whether it will be a one disc or two disc set. Hoping for the latter.;)

Jim C

Second Unit
Well, for those of you that liked The League, you'll be happy to know that Stephen Norrington is indeed interested in doing an extended director's cut for the DVD along with his commentary.

That is great news. Let's hope Fox supports Norringtons extended cut. A 2-disc special edition would be excellent.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'd buy this in a heartbeat. A 2 disk set is a must for this film, with all of character intricacies. The League is truly one of the better, creative films I've seen this summer (T3 also knocked my intellectual socks off). What the movie lacked in plot at certain times, it more than made up with it's rich characters.

Did anyone else notice the broadsheet announcing the Martians are coming tacked up on the docks next to a broadsheet announcing something about Moore and O'Neill?

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Tino, where did you get your info? Very interesting news, as I would prefer to see Norrington's vision for the final film as opposed to Connery's.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else notice the broadsheet announcing the Martians are coming tacked up on the docks next to a broadsheet announcing something about Moore and O'Neill?
Yep. If I'm not mistaken, that broadsheet is taken directly from one of the inside front covers of the series.

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
I loathed the movie for the numerous ways they butchered the TPB, but i'd probably pick up a two discer anyways. (Especially if it was a directors cut and it included a documentary about the league of extraordinary gentlemen TPB):D

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
Alan Moore is my favorite Comic writer and the 2 films That have been made of his works(From Hell being the other) have changed the source material SO much that they are very hard for me to watch,yet the complaining fanboy in me can not look away.
League opens in the Cinema here next month,I want very desperatly to like it and If I do I would want a 2 disc set.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
If Connery joins in on the same commentary track, I'll buy it. Fireworks galore. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks