What's new

The Latest Supermarket Insanity (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If they did hit my cart, I'd be in their face.
So, if your child was racing one of those child-sized carts around the store and ran into me or someone with me, it's OK if I get "in their face" too? After all, we don't want to start a double-standard here where it's OK for children "having fun" to run into an adult, but not for an adult "having fun" to run into a child.
With you 110% Julie K. Everything else in life is licensed and regulated, why not child-bearing? You can't even own a dog without buying a license, yet by whim or accident anyone can create a new human life, no questions asked.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
So, if your child was racing one of those child-sized carts around the store and ran into me or someone with me, it's OK if I get "in their face" too?
Where did I ever say I would let my kid run around the store? My example was if a parent was running wrecklessly, as I think Julie was describing. I never said I would get in the face of a child, can you read? This is my last post, as this is all a waste of time.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I have fun with my kids everywhere and they are better off for it. Don't really care about its impact on others.
This prompts me to ask what you consider "fun". Do you, for example, consider it "fun" to have your kids run up and down the aisles in a movie theater while screaming? Do you feel ANY obligation to consider the impact of your kids' behavior on others in public? Or do you consider the rest of the world to be no different than your living room?

Janna S

Second Unit
It is always interesting when parents get like tigers in defense of badly behaved children. And when parents seem to think that having fun with their children is the principle responsibility of parenting. Too many children pay dearly in their own lives for being permissively and misguidedly parented.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Wow, I leave for a little while and this thread is already 3 pages long! Are we sure this isn't a Star Wars thread? :)
I shop at the Vons stores here in Vegas, so Julie do me and yourself a favor and steer clear. We probably would not get along at all.
Hey, which Vons?! I shop at Vons at Lake Mead & Buffalo. When my son is born in July we should go and create some havok! :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Actually, the costco here is nearly bursting in chaos. Not quite as bad as Wal-mart, simply because it is so crowded there is no chance for any shopping-cart races!
Most of the shopping-cart problems occur out in the parking lot. Carts positioned in the middle of parking spots are really damn annoying. "Oh look, I found a parking spot! Arrrgh there's a cart at the end of it." Then I have to stop my car halfway into the spot, and move the frigging cart. Of course, there are two Yukon trucks parked on either side, which makes it impossible to spot the cart until you basically run into it with your car. Oh well, I don't mind the big trucks too much when I see the driver wheel two flat-carts with a couple hundred cigarette packs in it. Them rednecks gotta get their fix, y'know. ;)
Fortunately I haven't run into kids going nuts wheeling the shopping carts outside...the carts are a bit bigger than average and usually too full of goods to maneuver. All that chaotic goodness is reserved for Wal-mart, Safeway, and the rest of their ilk!
Most everyone in my city is middle class, even the rednecks! Shopping at Costco for the sheer snobbery of it is useless here. Equal-opportunity shopping madness, here I come!

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
With you 110% too, Julie.

I have had a couple carts park their metal bumper in the side of my leg; just above the ankle. I am glad someone designed them so they DIDN'T hit the bone... not sure if that was accidental. In any case, it was NOT a pleasure, it hurt like hell. One of the impacts was strong enough to cause me to fall; it was a very full cart. In both cases the bastards left w/o a word or apology. And, luckily they were moving at slow to moderate speeds. I'd hate to think what happens at higher speeds. And I am reasonably healthy - what about the person with the damaged knee/ankle/hip joint? Tell me, what do you say to a person who just got mobile from leg joint surgery, was injured by a shopping cart your kid raced down the aisle and had to go back to get it repaired - if possible? "Sorry" or worse a sullen look don't cut it there anymore. As was said, it is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

There are lots of places to have fun - the supermarket can be one of them, and most any venue can be. When it potentially endangers someone else, though, that's a no-go. And I do not care if the person involved is 11 months or 80 years old.

If you absolutely MUST race carts, then I suppose the least you can do is check if others are around - and not race at the end of the aisle, since people might turn in at the wrong moment. Plan ahead a bit, just check for safety hazards to yourself and others first. You'd like others to do it for you, do it for others also.

As far as screams go - they can and do hurt. Anyone who has gone temporarily deaf because some kid decided to holler at high volume right as they passed by - or were holding them in their arms - can attest to that.

When I hear a racket like that going on in a supermarket, I tend to smile - someone's having fun with their kid (a good thing) - and avoid the area like heck.

Since when has it become incorrect to "mind your manners"?

Mike

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Great thread. I will say this:

I don't have children. But I have a niece and nephew on both mine and my wife's side of the family. One side is properly disciplined, and are a joy to be around. Their parents are parents, not friends, and therefore they appreciate 'fun time' that much more.

The other side(mine) are impossible. Since they are constantly indulged, they appreciate nothing. Any visit to their house HAS to have them as the center attraction. The other two can play by themselves if adults are conversing.

If you think you are doing your children a favor by being their friend, think again. If they constantly get their way, they will be woefully unprepared for the real world. People say no in the real world. There are speed limits, weight restrictions, handicapped parking spaces, all sorts of things...

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
My girlfriend loves to write poems and she just e-mailed me the grocery list with her latest opus.

It seems appropriate to post it here.

A poem for grocery shopping:

Once a week come rain or shine,

whether I'm feeling sick or fine,

to that place of strife and woe,

a grocery shopping I must go.

First you pull into the lot,

picking out a choice close spot,

when out of nowhere comes a wheeling,

a soccer mom with children squeeling.

You shrug it off and end up parked,

surrounded by rogue grocery carts,

you step out of your car and spy,

a dirty diaper parked nearby.

You make it to the store and start,

by taking up the nearest cart,

when you reach the baking aisle,

the cart is wobbling, creaking...vile.

You're organized and grab your things,

your chips and pop and chicken wings,

but all the others shopping there,

have quite a blank and creepy stare.

They stagger slowly in your way,

and not a word of "sorry" say,

they don't know what they want or where

they are and they don't really care.

It seems their only one true care,

is to make your shopping there,

a truly hellish sort of trip,

(where they hell have they moved the dip!?!?)

You finally have your list complete,

your milk, your eggs, your bread, your meat...

now just to find the shortest line,

this one seems to move just fine.

Okay, now what the hell is going on?

I've been standing here for an eon!

Now that line's moving mighty fast,

I'll finally be leaving here at last!

Oh great, now THIS line's moving slow!

God oh why do you hate me so?

This only ever happens to me.

I just want to be home and free.

Now it's finally my turn.

I've not complained, I've patience learned.

My groceries are all rung up.

I'm almost there, I'm soon to sup!

But wait! I cannot find my money.

This is not in the least bit funny.

Where oh where oh could it be!?!

Why God does this only happen to me?

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great thread, although with three daughters, I'm decidedly kid friendly.

Julie, of course you have a point. I would get annoyed, and say something if someone was racing a cart down an aisle, as in running. If they were merely swerving or being silly, and teh aisle wasn't crowded, I don't know. It would depend on my mood at the time.

The thing is, even with the best parents, and good self control, a silly mood can hit at strange times. A supermarket is certainly not a place of sanctity or reverence. I wouldn't mind a little controlled fun almost anywhere. It sounds like it was uncontrolled in your experience, and that was the parents fault.

Now, if they were racing coffins down the aisle at a funeral home, that would be going too far.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
Now, if they were racing coffins down the aisle at a funeral home, that would be going too far.
Agreed. A drug store near me is down the street from a funeral home where just such a thing occured. A couple of kids broken in and were racing coffins. Things got out of control and one of the coffins flew out the door, down the hill, and right through the doors of the pharmacy! Luckily, the only two people in there were the pharmacist and myself. Imagine our shock...especially when the coffin lid flew off and the corpse shot straight up. The pharmacist had no idea what to do, so he turned to the corpse and asked "Can I help you?" And the corpse simply replied "Yes! Give me something to stop this coffin!"

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
The suppositions and extrapolations from that one little story (by childless folks, no less) are way over the top, IMO. Lots of active imaginations, so I'm bowing out. Enjoy the rest of your rant.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
But wait! The insanity came about when the parents started racing these things around the store while making car-racing type noises. Squeals of glee from the spawn simply made these alleged adults run faster. Supermarkets have somehow become amusement parks and shopping carts turned into bumper cars.
I agree that it should be kept well behaved and that parents should have some regard for their surroundings.

However, the situation you described hardly justifies even the existence of this thread. I don't believe you got upset because of a potential danger in that particular situation. It seems rather that parents playing with their kids outside of designated areas bothers you, even if it does not present an immediate danger or inconvenience.

I find claims of "bumber carts" largely exagerrated. I can't remember the last time a kid (or an adult for that matter) ran into me. Hell, though I am sure it happened, I can't even remember a single instance. That is how rare it is for me. Am I special?

Like Dave said, being annoyed by parents playing with kids in a supermarket is a luxury problem. Most of the planet would love to have that to complain about.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Most of the planet would love to have that to complain about.
Most of the planet would love to be able to complain about P&S DVDs too. Or are there certain things that one shouldn't complain about? Bad behavior in children seems to be one of those topics. I find it amusing that as a person without children, I am somehow unfit to render judgment on bad behavior. I think I'm far more objective than the parents are, actually. Many seem far too ready to jump for the throat of anyone who dares to suggest that their little angels are acting in perhaps a less than angelic manner. Suggesting that perhaps they could have a few more manners is apparently grounds for justifiable homicide.
BTW, people have complained about being hit by carts in this thread.
Ryan,
You and your daughter are welcome to shop in my stores anytime! You've given me back a little hope for humanity. Well, not a whole lot given my basic nature, but still it's something :) BTW, I have my own little name for Wal-Mart. I call it Squall-Mart. I like the fun you and your daughter have in the store.
Janna and James,
I certainly agree. Insisting on creating a world of non-stop "fun" (which seems to be defined by many as an atmosphere of wild uncontrolled behavior) ill-prepares a child. Parents are raising future adults. That requires careful consideration and responsibility that is not always compatible with indulging the whims of toddlers and children.
As for people getting offended and bowing out of the thread - well, I did warn everyone didn't I? I said this was a rant from a child-unfriendly person. What did everyone expect, the hard-nosed childfree person suddenly overcome by the sight of a small face and going "Awwwww....I want one" in a cutsey ending?
Brett,
Sure, I'd love to babysit. What, you want the children back in one piece? Nevermind then...
Anyway, I've got a ways to go in my curmudgeon's studies. Here are some good ones:
"I have the heart of a child. I keep it in a jar on my shelf." - Robert Bloch
"Learning to dislike children at an early age saves a lot of expense and aggravation later in life." - Robert Byrne (1917 - )
"How to Raise your I.Q. by Eating Gifted Children" - Lewis B. Frumkes
"Humans are the only animals that have children on purpose with the exception of guppies, who like to eat theirs." - P. J. O'Rourke
"What is more enchanting than the voices of young people when you can't hear what they say?" - Logan Pearsall Smith (1865 - 1946)
"The thing that impresses me the most about America is they way parents obey their children." - King Edward VIII

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, guys.

Julie posts one of the funniest things I've read here in a long time, and, as usual, illustrates her points with wit and accuracy. And people accuse her of being evil.

Come on, now.

"These things are the 'Ford Expedition' of grocery carts.
See what I mean? That's a helluva good line. I might use it someday.

Hey, I'll come right out and say it: I'm not at all child-friendly. At all. Don't like being around them one bit. That's me. And I have had two kids (one grown, the other still growing). The experience served to reinforce my negative feelings.

Funny thing is, for some weird reason kids like me. I'm good with them, apparently. But I'd rather they stay away.

And I guess I just lost plenty o' points with some of you.

Julie's point all along has been, to state it with an aphorism, there's a time and place for everything. Letting kids run wild in a supermarket with those newfangled contraptions is well deserving of a rant.

Julie, to use modern slang, "You go, girl!"

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Jack, you aren't losing any points with me. You, and Julie K, are now at the top of my list! Yes, I'm another one of those "kid unfriendly" people. Sure, I'll have fun with my nieces and nephews, but I'll jump headfirst out of a plane with no parachute before I'll ever have any of my own!
I think we need to get together and start our own curmudgeon forum! :)
KJP

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i went from zero to sixty in one shot. when i met my girlfriend she had (at the time) twin 4 year old boys. now that's a serious child primer experience.
before that, i used to think most kids drove me crazy. i suppose many of them still do, but now i have another side to see. also, my sister recently had two boys of her own, so now i can't get away from the buggers. :)
i suppose i am guilty of running/racing carts in the supermarket with the boys, but never when the situation warranted any danger. it usually late at night, or in an abandoned aisle. i don't let them EVER run around unsupervised...really that's more of a security pov, then anything else.
i expect them to have good manners all the time. if they forget to use the magic words, i firmly remind them. i'd say they still forget about half the time, but heck...they're only seven. but, they have gotten much much better.
kids are kids. they're not going to know better unless they're taught. i truly feel parenting is the only factor to resolve a wild-child.
i suppose i'm trying to say that it's not the kids fault as much as the parents?
heck...what is the point of my rambling? umm...
btw julie - i suspect if (for whatever god-crazy reason) you end up having your own children...this viewpoint will change dramatically. my sister (who also used to hate kids) has a whole different spin now. :)

Julie K

Screenwriter
i suspect if (for whatever god-crazy reason) you end up having your own children
Just shoot me. If I ever say I want kids then that's proof that I'm not "me" - I'm some invading alien intelligence who took over this body that used to house "Julie K". Save the human race by destroying the evil invader.
However, that invading alien intelligence might find the idea a rather difficult one to put into practice...
Ah, the wonders of modern medicine :D
(And the wonders of foreshadowing....)

Users who are viewing this thread