What's new

The latest on Conan, Leno and NBC (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

Actually it was Conan's poor ratings that caused this. If he had done anywhere near what Leno did at 11:35, he'd still have the job (assuming he didn't quit). Notice how Leno's ratings are now in that same time slot. They would seem to confirm that Leno does better than others in that time slot,

Of course this is all a result of the stupid decision to remove someone who was consistently winning his time slot for years.
I guess we are back to that "beating a dead horse" situation: Leno's ratings at 10pm were killing the ratings of the NBC affiliates' 11pm news broadcasts. Had Leno NOT gotten that five nights a week show, but simply left NBC when Conan got Tonight, it might have been a different story. And remember, Jay said several years ago that he would VOLUNTARILY leave the show in 2009. Then he changed his mind.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I had recently read that Fox was having trouble getting the nationwide clearance and it was looking more and more that even if they did the late night show would not start at 11pm but rather 11:30 or even 12 in some markets. Really it sounds like a Fox deal wasn't anywhere near a reality.

Basically this is all Conan could get and it's still better then not being on TV at all.

I think some of the posters here are over estimating the value of him owning the show. It's not as if it could ever go into syndication and make big money in that arena. That's not a knock on Conan just the reality that this type of show just doesn't play well in syndication.

This is really do or die time for Conan, if he fails to produce this time around he'll probably never get another shot.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
In the end, NBC did the right thing, no matter what your feelings are about Jay. The numbers prove it. They are making a lot more money again with Leno. Leno has managed to do very well, even on nights with a bad lead-in. They'll make back that $40 million they spent to send Conan packing in no time. Jeff Zucker is coming out of this looking pretty good.

I'll certainly check-out Conan's new show. I just think TBS wasn't the best place for him to go. But maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Originally Posted by EricSchulz

I guess we are back to that "beating a dead horse" situation: Leno's ratings at 10pm were killing the ratings of the NBC affiliates' 11pm news broadcasts. Had Leno NOT gotten that five nights a week show, but simply left NBC when Conan got Tonight, it might have been a different story. And remember, Jay said several years ago that he would VOLUNTARILY leave the show in 2009. Then he changed his mind.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

I had recently read that Fox was having trouble getting the nationwide clearance and it was looking more and more that even if they did the late night show would not start at 11pm but rather 11:30 or even 12 in some markets. Really it sounds like a Fox deal wasn't anywhere near a reality.
I would bet that this was a primary factor in the decision. After watching Leno get forced out by unhappy affiliates, I'm sure Conan didn't want to walk into a situation where the affiliates were somewhat hostile from the beginning. Even if he substantially improved the 11 PM hour, there's no way the affiliates would recoup the money they were making when they had all of the ad revenue for the hour to themselves.
I think some of the posters here are over estimating the value of him owning the show. It's not as if it could ever go into syndication and make big money in that arena. That's not a knock on Conan just the reality that this type of show just doesn't play well in syndication.

This is really do or die time for Conan, if he fails to produce this time around he'll probably never get another shot.
The importance of owning the show has less to do with financial benefits than creative benefits. When he walked away from the Tonight Show, Conan had to walk away from all of the sketches and other material he'd developed over the 17 years he spent at NBC. Owning the show means greater creative control while making the show and the ability to bring any created assets with him wherever he goes next.

The nice thing about TBS is that no one really knows what the expectations are. Unless he underperforms Lopez, he can make an argument that he's succeeding. If this show tanks, he'll either go back to comedy writing or downgrade further to a "Talk Soup" style platform.
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

In the end, NBC did the right thing, no matter what your feelings are about Jay. The numbers prove it. They are making a lot more money again with Leno. Leno has managed to do very well, even on nights with a bad lead-in. They'll make back that $40 million they spent to send Conan packing in no time. Jeff Zucker is coming out of this looking pretty good.
Jeff Zucker is coming out of this looking good? This comment blows my mind. This entire mess is Jeff Zucker's fault. He came up with the scheme to try and have his cake and eat it too by attempting this phased transition between Jay and Conan. Sure, Jay should have spoken up if he wasn't comfortable with the deal, but in the end the buck stops with Zucker. The right thing would have been to tell Conan that Jay was still a more valuable asset and that if he was no longer comfortable at "Late Night" he is free to pursue other opportunities.

Clearly, Jay has proven that he is a more valuable asset than Conan. The right man ended up back on the Tonight Show, from any audience perspective. But everything in between was a complete catastrophe which did significant damage to the NBC brand.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Francois Caron ">[/url]

Conan on cable TV only four nights a week? Can he possibly make that work?

Oh yeah! The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!

Shane D

Supporting Actor
does anyone watch castle? interesting show last night about a older late night host being pushed aside for a younger generation and the following show to get his time slot. I wont spoil it, but the host gets killed because of all of it. Just made me think of all this stuff.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

In the end, NBC did the right thing, no matter what your feelings are about Jay. The numbers prove it. They are making a lot more money again with Leno.
Leno is making more money at The Tonight Show (at least for the next few years) than Conan was doing (for his run of a few months, with all the caveats about that, which shouldn't have to be repeated, but are). But is NBC making more money now overall, than with both Jay and Conan on, since the 10pm show was so much cheaper to produce than five separate weekly dramas? Or was that just a cover because Zucker and his goons were incompetent developing shows? Why bother with the "experiment" in the first place? Because Zucker and his goons were incompetent managing talent?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Because the basement bottom ad revenues for Leno's cheap, low-ratings-threshold show were slaughtering the affiliates' bottom lines. Dramas cost NBC more, but they perform much better for affiliates and provide continuing revenue streams through DVD/BD season sets etc.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I'm just glad Conan will be back on tv. In 2010, being on cable is not a bad thing. Everybody gets the late night funnyman of their choice, and all is right with the world.

If NBC doesn't have a heir apparent for Leno when he decides to retire many years from now, their troubles will begin all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks