What's new

The latest on Conan, Leno and NBC (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman /forum/thread/296775/the-latest-on-conan-leno-and-nbc/390#post_3652617

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

At least the story has a happy ending. Jay will be back on Tonight where he belongs, and Conan is gone after this week. Too bad he was able to extort so much money by quitting the show- glad I'm not a shareholder.
It's only a happy ending if you like milquetoast comedy that isn't actually funny.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I don't think it has anything to do with liking Jay as much as it is a mentality that roots for Goliath to defeat David.

"Quaritch is right -- why don't the Na'vi just find another tree?"

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Its kind of sad seeing the Jay and Conan camps duke it out here which is pretty much letting NBC off scott free. Its their mess and not fair to either host. Hopefully for Jay he will return to recapture his prior ratings, hopefully Conan will land at another network that appreciates his humor style and lets him do what he does best, and hopefully this will be the straw that broke the camels back for a certain NBC executive.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Its kind of sad seeing the Jay and Conan camps duke it out here which is pretty much letting NBC off scott free.
That's not what I see going on at all. There is plenty of blame for NBC, and there are plenty of calls for Jeff Zucker's head. There are also about 2 or 3 Conan haters who post incorrect facts and make distorted statements about the circumstances. I think 90% of the posters in this thread are in agreement. This isn't the merits of AC3 vs DTS, this is pretty much open and shut, with a few contrarians who want to push all the blame on Conan. This is too one-sided to be a "duke out".

Anyway, it's all over now with the last Conan having already aired.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

That's not what I see going on at all. There is plenty of blame for NBC, and there are plenty of calls for Jeff Zucker's head. There are also about 2 or 3 Conan haters who post incorrect facts and make distorted statements about the circumstances. I think 90% of the posters in this thread are in agreement. This isn't the merits of AC3 vs DTS, this is pretty much open and shut, with a few contrarians who want to push all the blame on Conan. This is too one-sided to be a "duke out".

Anyway, it's all over now with the last Conan having already aired.
Agreed, I haven't seen anyone extolling NBC. Everyone knows they fucked up. And the only real argument you ever see for Leno is that he's just been following orders, as if he were working at a McDonald's and overcooked the fries. Everyone's been treated pretty accurately here.

But it is not over, we still get to see the return of Leno. I can't imagine anyone being under more pressure to perform in the ratings then he will be now.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I saw some clips. Some thoughts:

1. He should have spoken up in 2004 if he was that upset about it. One lesson from this fiasco is that a "white lie" will come back to bite you in the long run.

2. I guess he was the only one surprised that Kimmel would use that opportunity on Jay's show to continue the NBC/Leno bashing. Kimmel's interests >>>> Leno's interests as far as Kimmel is concerned. C'mon, you can't be that naive, Jay.

Otherwise, it's the same old same old. As damage control goes, it seemed fairly weak.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
O'Brien's Charlie Rose interview from 2006. In this clip, starting at the 3 min mark there's some good insight on O'Brien's view towards the Tonight Show which his release statement and show farewell echo quite succinctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkEFrbeHhdI&feature=player_embedded#at=181

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Leno did absolutely NOTHING in that interview to change my opinion of him. He certainly didn't come off as contrite or apologetic and I don't think he helped himself in any way. I was shocked and utterly delighted to hear that 96% of the people that voted in Oprah's poll were on Conan's side.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's worth checking out the post-show chat: http://www.oprah.com/oprahshow/Oprah-Debates-the-Tonight-Show-Controversy-Video

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks