What's new

The latest on Conan, Leno and NBC (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
iI cannot understand how, on a forum for afficiandos of television programming, how anyone could call Conan an idiot for wanting to exhibit some personal and artistic integrity. Is it the job of someone in a creative medium to simply follow the dictates of those higher on up instead of offering their own POV and creativity? To advocate that Conan should keep quiet and do as he's told to reap monetary rewards in exchange for his self-respect is just a repulsive idea to me. What kind of soulless world would this be if everyone was "smart" and just followed orders? Just appalling.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

So, you lose respect for someone who tries to do what his employer wants him to do?
He was willing to do the 30 min. show, like they wanted. Conan is the one that's been such an a##hole about this. He flat refused to do what his employer asked of him. If he had done what was asked, everything would be fine and running smooth, just a half hour later than usual. Just 30 mins. He's still tape at the same time, and have the same inhouse audience. Again, he proves what an idiot he is. He could have maybe hosted the Tonight Show for 20+ years, and made a lot more than 25 -40 million. He's an idiot! Plain and simple.
Conan's an asshole because he'd rather give up the Tonight Show rather than ruin it by moving it to 12:05? Because he respects its legacy more than NBC or Leno do? Ooookay.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

iI cannot understand how, on a forum for afficiandos of television programming, how anyone could call Conan an idiot for wanting to exhibit some personal and artistic integrity. Is it the job of someone in a creative medium to simply follow the dictates of those higher on up instead of offering their own POV and creativity? To advocate that Conan should keep quiet and do as he's told to reap monetary rewards in exchange for his self-respect is just a repulsive idea to me. What kind of soulless world would this be if everyone was "smart" and just followed orders? Just appalling.
Pretty much what I was thinking, Hanson. Further, if you think the relationship between Conan/Jay/other big stars and the network execs is one of "employer/employee," well I would argue that view is incorrect. It's not like the phone rings in the middle of the night, and Conan picks it up, only to hear a mysterious voice speaking orders into the phone, and he says "yes sir, Mr. Zucker, right away, sir!"

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You people don't think his audience will wait a half hour? That's just ridiculous!
Him, and all of his audience that's in too big of a rush to wait another 30 mins. to be aired, needs to be taken behind the barn and have a whip taken to them. 30 mins. is gone almost in a blink of the eye.

I'm tired of all the stupidity in this thread. I'm finished with it................
I'll be glad when he's gone.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

iI cannot understand how, on a forum for afficiandos of television programming, how anyone could call Conan an idiot for wanting to exhibit some personal and artistic integrity.
Same reason Jay was #1 all these years.

Arild

Supporting Actor

You people don't think his audience will wait a half hour? That's just ridiculous!
Who ever said anything about his audience not waiting? If you've been paying any attention at all, you should know that is not what this is about.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
To quote an old SNL bit, "NBC! Smart as a Peacock!"

Conan's last show ought to be interesting.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have a couple of thoughts after watching both Leno and Conan for the last several nights.

- I have to give Conan's writers credit. Conan's monologues were substantially funnier than Leno's the past few nights. With all the events of the past week, Leno didn't really seem to take advantage of it the way Conan did. Leno's strength over the past 2 decades has been his monologue. Somehow, he just seemed a little flat this week.

- Conan seems to have the transition to Los Angeles smoothly. I don't think the same could be said of Letterman if he had moved his program to LA as he wanted to. I've been re-reading "The Late Shift" and I had forgotten that the entire Letterman camp wanted to take the show to LA when he moved to CBS. Howard Stringer fought and finally convinced him to try the Ed Sullivan theater for one year. Letterman, Morty and Peter Lassaly really wanted to be at Television City. Letterman's 12:30 show was so focused on NYC that I think it would have felt like something was missing. Conan's show seems right at home in LA.

- I'm not sure about Andy Richter. He was one of the strengths of Conan's show in the early years and I've always felt his departure hurt the show. Now that he's back, I'm not so sure. He comes across rather plastic to me now. I think Kevin Eubanks is still the best sidekick on late night TV.

I'm starting to come around a bit on Conan. I watched the first few nights when he took over the Tonight Show and thought it was weak and never watched again until this week. It still bugs me the way he's always shaking his head back and forth all the time, but his writers are currently at the top of their game. I'll definitely check out his show wherever he ends up. I just hope he doesn't end up with a shoestring budget. I think the Tonight Show production value has really helped Conan. If he goes on at 11:00, I wonder if that might be a hinderance to the ratings.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Conan's been playing the victim, that's easy to do. (It's actually one of his comedic strengths.) I would contribute any recent improvements in his monologues to that more then anything else.

As far as an 11pm start time, I think it's a must for him to be competitive. His first half hour numbers should be very strong since he will have no competition what so ever.

In a couple of years it will be interesting to see the landscape of late night television. It maybe that the biggest mistake that NBC made was back in 2004 when they thought Conan was the future of late night television.

Arild

Supporting Actor
And now this:

As a deal nears for Conan O'Brien's exit from NBC, one thing is certain: the characters and recurring comedy bits O'Brien originated during his 16-plus years on "Late Night" and "The Tonight Show" will not follow the host when he leaves NBC.
That is just plain petty. It's not like NBC will have any use for Conando, etc. with Conan gone. Can't wait to hear the NBC apologists defend this crap...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Originally Posted by Arild /forum/thread/296775/the-latest-on-conan-leno-and-nbc/270#post_3650450
They didn't have any use for Larry Bud Melman either but they prevented Letterman from using it. I agree its petty. I'm a Jay apologist to some extent, but I think NBC has been downright nasty in the way they've handled this.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Arild
That's SOP for NBC. They did it to Letterman, too. He has NEVER been able to show a single second of material from his Late Night show when he went to CBS. He even had to call Calvert DeForest by his real name after the move rather than Larry "Bud" Melman. He couldn't even show any of the clips of when Carson appeared on his show (appearances Carson NEVER made with Leno). Etc.

Letterman will be celebrating his 30th year on network TV this year and can only show moments from the last 17 years.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Conan gets his settlement, but can no longer trash NBC.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/16/conan-obrien-nbc-settlement-tonight-show-jay-leno/

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Conan's staff is pissed at him:

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/conan_stiffed_us_staffers_say_09HWtZQc2Jc4BYmw7dg2hK

Arild

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/conan_stiffed_us_staffers_say_09HWtZQc2Jc4BYmw7dg2hK
Seems he went to some lengths for them:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Rep-Conan-Worried-1013763.aspx

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Right now the show's website lists no guests after Tuesday, though other sources do.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I'm tired of all the stupidity in this thread. I'm finished with it................
Well that's good because it saves me from having to reiterate the points that rebuke your opinion.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Originally Posted by Jeff Adkins

New York Post report is "outrageous lie":
http://www.thewrap.com/ind-column/ratings-cocos-still-got-big-mo-13082

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks