What's new

The Latest Borders Coupons... (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, Borders has had a 'coupon moratorium' after Christmas in past years too. In the vein of Mike's tale of woe, I can't remember the last time that I bought a DVD or Blu-ray or CD at Borders. I still use the coupons to pick up books though.

Mike, I don't know if you have an FYE in your local mall but the one by me has started selling all single disc CDs for $9.99. I asked a clerk and he said he thought $9.99 was a permanent sale price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
FYE is probably my favorite software retailer now locally (my only other choices are pretty much Best Buy, Target & Wal-Mart along with the used bins at the rental shops). And I DO still have a Barnes & Noble nearby that has a CD/DVD section...

It seems like a few months ago that my local shops marked most of their CD product down to either $9.99 or $12.99. Some of the markdowns were pretty good, too (substantial). I was worried that they might be doing away with their CD inventory. Clerks assured me that wasn't the case...but I'm still not so sure. It seems as if CD inventories at most of my local stores is dwindling down to nothing except top sellers and current releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
My Best Buy cut its CD section in half a few months ago so FYE now easily has the biggest selection in the area. I don't buy tons of CDs but there are some NOFX, soundtracks and other random discs that I intend to pick up before FYE (or CDs as a whole) go belly up.

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

And I DO still have a Barnes & Noble nearby that has a CD/DVD section...
I always forget about them too. Probably due to them charging the MSRP (although they do have the occasional good sale).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Man. How disappointing.

I went to Borders yesterday to see what they had for Blu-ray discs and see if 40% off would yield me a reasonable deal on anything new. I figured pickings would be slim since they have really scaled back the media section to basically a single two-sided display in an aisle and a small bin of bargain ($7.99) DVDs.

The aisle display was still there--with some CDs and a couple-dozen DVD titles (mostly newer stuff with an odd assortment of catalog titles (Gigi and Chaplin come to mind). But, there was not a single BD in the store anywhere!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, I stopped by mine and they had only a few BDs (Up in the Air, Precious), but not the one I was looking for, Capitalism: A Love Story. They had the regular DVD but not BD. I used to shop at Borders quite frequently when it featured a full media section, but hardly every anymore. Sad. And we'll see how much longer it stays in business at all.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Folk on Borders' mailing list who are Borders Rewards members should have received a note of an extra $5 Borders Bucks being available to their account for shopping Friday through Monday. This is in store or online at Borders.com.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I feel like I've really dropped the ball on this thread.

I get e-mails from Borders all the time for some really short-lived coupons (25%, 30%...even 40% on occasion) but don't think to post them here because my local Borders doesn't carry electronic media any more. It's really too bad. I used to spend a lot of time (and money) there.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Same here. But they are pumping out the 33% and 25% and even 40% coupons almost weekly now (and Barnes & Noble has gone free shipping for everything) in probably a desperate attempt to stay alive. I usually pull the trigger at 33%. At least I'm buying more books!

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I feel like I've really dropped the ball on this thread.

I get e-mails from Borders all the time for some really short-lived coupons (25%, 30%...even 40% on occasion) but don't think to post them here because my local Borders doesn't carry electronic media any more. It's really too bad. I used to spend a lot of time (and money) there.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The problem I have with the Borders coupons is that they offer a percent off LIST price that is often less than Amazon's usual discount. It is one thing to get an extra 20% or 30% off an item that has already been marked down by 30% or 40%, but I just can't get that excited about a Borders coupon in my mailbox that just matches Amazon's price, especially since I get two day shipping at no extra charge as an Amazon Prime member. Sometimes the stars arise and I can get a really good deal, but most of the time, they don't.

Regards,

Joe

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

The problem I have with the Borders coupons is that they offer a percent off LIST price that is often less than Amazon's usual discount. It is one thing to get an extra 20% or 30% off an item that has already been marked down by 30% or 40%, but I just can't get that excited about a Borders coupon in my mailbox that just matches Amazon's price, especially since I get two day shipping at no extra charge as an Amazon Prime member. Sometimes the stars arise and I can get a really good deal, but most of the time, they don't.

Regards,

Joe
For me, the coupons are usually best used on items (such as paperback books) that Amazon rarely discounts at all. There were some CDs and DVDs that also fell in this category until Borders reduced their stock of those.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Got that late last night and printed it right away. I'm fortunate in having a Borders five minutes away, even though their selection is but a ghost of what it used to be, and of course the prices are ridiculous. However, I rarely let a 40% or better coupon go unused, because that brings many DVD/BD prices down to an acceptable level -- and this coupon is for 50%. For that, there's definitely something there with my name on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks