What's new

'The Last Witch Hunter' Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Vin Diesel has talked about his love of Dungeons & Dragons before, and now he's made a movie about it... well, basically. The Last Witch Hunter is the Fast & Furious star's attempt at kick-starting a new big screen franchise for himself, and while the film is getting savaged by most critics, it's not without its merits.

Here's a bite-sized summary of my take on it, followed by a link to my full review at the bottom:

He's played a space criminal named Riddick, an outlaw racer named Dominic Toretto, and a Guardian of the Galaxy named Groot. Now Vin Diesel is Kaulder, an immortal witch slayer in The Last Witch Hunter. Directed by Breck Eisner, the film is set in a present-day world where humans and witches co-exist in a tenuous truce. It's been 800 years since Kaulder struck down the Witch Queen (The Strain's Julie Engelbrecht), in the process taking on her curse of immortality. Now a group of evil witches are seeking to resurrect their fallen queen mother, and it's up to Kaulder and a good witch named Chloe (Game of Thrones' Rose Leslie) to stop them. With a plot resembling something that's been hacked (and slashed) together from pieces of films like Blade, Constantine, and even last year's Seventh Son, The Last Witch Hunter is far from original, and its performances are merely serviceable. Luckily, the film manages to redeem itself in one department, and that's the visual effects, which do a wonderful job immersing viewers in Kaulder's world of sword-and-sworcery. Does it make for a better movie? Kind of. But like the Witch Queen's shapeshifting minions, The Last Witch Hunter isn't something that should be taken at more than face value.

My full review (3 out of 5).

Pave-man-t

Auditioning
Real Name
Lucas
I'm intrigued.

It clearly seems to suck, yet you defend it ; must be something more ;)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
It's one of those guilty pleasure kind of movies. A fun romp with great visual effects.

Pave-man-t

Auditioning
Real Name
Lucas
Yep, the trailer does a fair justice to the visuals. And to Vin's acting ability also :D

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've seen several youtube critics say it's a bad movie but they still kind of like it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Just watched it.. it's popcorn fodder. Not totally terrible, a few solid moments.. clearly a setup for future films.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of several bombs that went off at the box office this weekend (along with Jem & the Holograms, Rock the Kasbah, and Steve Jobs).

I wouldn't expect a franchise.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Me and the wife enjoyed it. I enjoyed it for what it was and it met expectations of an enjoyable movie. Yes, it appears to be a plot of very similar movies woven together, but still a good movie. Good vs Evil and how they go about it is enjoyable. Vin swinging a flaming sword, taking on evil... some cool fun stuff. When I left the theater, I was like..yeah, I want that job, little ass kicking, sword play, killing evil...all in a days job. You can go to a movie, sit back, and just be entertained by the action, the fun, and the killing of evil, does not have to be Oscar performance for me to give some type of recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks