THE LAST VOYAGE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

The Digital Bits is reporting that WB is releasing on 10/24 Andrew Stone's THE LAST VOYAGE (Robert Stack, Dorthy Malone, George Sanders, Edmond O'Brien, Woody Strode). On a technical level this is easily the most compelling film of the "sinking ship" genre. Stone sunk the Ile de France in order to create this extraordinary thriller. He wasn't the greatest dramatic director, but it would be terrific to see more of his thrillers on dvd: CRY TERROR!, THE DECKS RAN RED, THE PASSWORD WAS COURAGE, and JULIE. I think that the last was actually dvded for the next Doris Day collection. Great location work in the Stone films.

2. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Great news! It will be mine... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Hopefully released in the proper WS ratio. [​IMG]

4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

"Hallelujah!" he shouts as he falls to his knees.

I was beginning to wonder if it would ever see the light of day on DVD. A real nail biter. Stone is almost documentary in his approach to the film. I have the laser disc but it is open matte and I look forward to seeing it in its original theatrical aspect ratio.

It would be great if the elusive Dorothy Malone (the only surviving major cast member) did a commentary or at least an interview regarding the making of the film.

5. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

THE LAST VOYAGE will be available on Tuesday (8/22) as part of a "Sinking Ship" exclusive at Circuit City. LOOKS LIKE bEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE WILL BE A WEEK EARLY.

6. Shawn Cornwell

Shawn Cornwell Stunt Coordinator

I absolutely adore Dorothy Malone (I have three original posters and an original half-sheet from Malone movies adorning my walls), and find it a mystery she's never been called on and/or agreed to comment on her work (including her Oscar performance in Written on the Wind, her classic seduction scene with Bogie in The Big Sleep and her work with Cagney in Man of a Thousand Faces, costarring with Frank Sinatra and Doris Day in Young at Heart, not to mention Battle Cry, the two Martin & Lewis comedies, The Tarnished Angels- Universal, please release this Douglas Sirk classic, featuring possibly Malone's best performance, in widescreen soon, Voyage, etc.). She had an interesting film career spanning five decades (up to her brief but important role in Basic Instinct) but has kept pretty much to herself over the last 20 or 30 years (the last time I remember seeing her interviewed for a major publication was when "People" magazine did a "Where Are Then Now?"-type write up featuring some of Ronald Reagan's former leading ladies, just after Reagan went into office). Sure would like to see or hear her discuss her film work.

7. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

As a Malone fan myself, I've been begging for a DVD release of the TV version of Peyton Place!!!

8. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

$6.99 at Circuit City tomorrow according to my Sunday flyer.

9. Bradley Newton

Bradley Newton Stunt Coordinator

Yep. I'm holding it in my hands now.They actually sunk this ship for the movie.
    What a deal for $6.99!

10. James Luckard

James Luckard Stunt Coordinator

I've got it too. It's 1.85 instead of the open matte VHS, which I just compared it to. Strange that when TCM ran the film a few months ago they ran it at 1.33, that can't have been right for a film released in 1960,

11. bobraleigh

bobraleigh Stunt Coordinator

dorothy was good in a small role in "fate is the hunter" which i wish was on
    dvd! i wish fox would restore and release that one.